GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Grand Theft Auto: Vice City'.
Fri 16/04/04 at 17:06
Regular
": ("
Why do so many of you think GTA 3 is better than GTA: Vice City?
Im getting the double pack soon and i will still play GTA 3 but i dont think it beats GTA: Vice City, im so confused at why lots of you think GTA 3 is better, the guy doesn't speak in it, there are no motorbikes and there are lots of other features it lacks of which Vice City has.

Me Thinks:

95% = GTA 3

99% = GTA Vice City
Sat 17/04/04 at 18:52
"bdp(big_dude_paul)"
i think they're pretty similar, same kind of missions, gangs, zones. only thing is transport and weather on vice city, and maybe size, but it takes ages to get from 1 side to another on gta3
Sat 17/04/04 at 17:47
Regular
I definitely agree that GTA3 is better then Vice city.
Sat 17/04/04 at 17:46
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
I personally thought GTA 3 was a lot more enjoyable.
Sat 17/04/04 at 13:36
Regular
I think you're maybe just too young to get it :D

I remember having a flourescent pink shell suit in the late eighties, bo my mum should have been put in jail for putting that on me, but that's the way things were.

The entire Vice City game seems to have a watered down painted look to it, it really is an effort to make the game fit into the decade it was ste in, and I think it really works excellently. As for the bland textures and repeated building, I really have never noticed any two buildings I would class as identical, but such a thing would almost be a technical issue, maybe in having the larger two areas in the game rather than two smaller ones, that would limit the number of textures which could be loaded into RAM for each area.

The flourescents and the washed out look of the graphics are spot on for the era the game was set in, and I love it.

One of the best touches to the game was the C64 loading screen at the start, oh the memories come flooding back :D
Sat 17/04/04 at 10:00
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
Stridman™ wrote:
> Me Thinks:
>
> 95% = GTA 3
>
> 99% = GTA Vice City

Me thinks:

98% = GTA 3

95% = GTA Vice City.
Sat 17/04/04 at 09:58
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
I totally agree with your earlier post, Mav.
Fri 16/04/04 at 23:19
Regular
"America, _ yeah!!"
sorry,
posted it twice by mistake.
Fri 16/04/04 at 23:19
Regular
"America, _ yeah!!"
i think Gta3's missions were the best.
Vice city's structure was better.
Fri 16/04/04 at 22:52
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> The game looks bland, because it has an 80s theme to it, that's the
> intentional look of the game and something which may not hav ebeen
> picked up on.

I actually did not pick up on that. Most probably because using intentionally bland level design in a game that is structured around it would be one of the worst decisions you could possibly make.

> As for level design, I can't really say that either of the games is
> better than the other. GTA3 largely followed a grid pattern, where
> Vice City was a slightly less intuative layout, but with an in-game
> map and a paper based map in the box, I can't really see why that is
> a problem.

The problem is the fact that it's boring. It's completely and utterly dull in places, with repeated buildings, textures and very few memorable locations. The pink-ish colours that are splashed everywhere really don't do the game any favours, and actually make it a graphical step backwards from GTA 3 - a gritty, down-to-earth, well designed and imaginative game.

> I think if you play Vice City first, then GTA3, you would miss too
> many of the added features to think GTA3 was any better.

Well I completed GTA 3, and then I completed Vice City. I'm currently playing GTA 3 through again and, as I said, what improvements there were in Vice I can live without in return for an excellently designed masterpiece.
Fri 16/04/04 at 17:39
Regular
I don't think either is better than the other to be fair.

The games are simply identical, with a few different features.

The game looks bland, because it has an 80s theme to it, that's the intentional look of the game and something which may not hav ebeen picked up on.

As for level design, I can't really say that either of the games is better than the other. GTA3 largely followed a grid pattern, where Vice City was a slightly less intuative layout, but with an in-game map and a paper based map in the box, I can't really see why that is a problem.

Being able to go onto rooftops with motorbikes and run from people in this way was much better in Vice City.

The owning of property was quite cool too, and as for being too many weapons in vice city, I'd disagree with that too.

I think if you play Vice City first, then GTA3, you would miss too many of the added features to think GTA3 was any better.

In essence though, the game engine is EXACTLY the same, therefore the games are exactly the same, other than a few minor additions.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.