GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Too much hype in the world"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/07/01 at 20:07
Regular
were always hearing,theres too much crime in the world,theres too much poverty in the world.yes they are important,but we never hear theres too much hype.

hype can be both your friend and your enemy.
we hear that a game is going to have the best graphics,fastest loading times etc etc etc.we get all excited,buy magazines for previews and then reviews,talk about it for months,count down the days till its out then...
were let down,like we have been so many times before.

its not just games,its films,books,tv shows and more.

the worst thing is,as long as were intrested in something we will never get rid of hype.
and will fall for it every time.
Tue 24/07/01 at 07:53
Hype is needed, but in relative amounts.

Games have been ruined by hype. They are said that they will have the BEST graphics, be the MOST realistic, etc, and when they are not, even if they are still amazing games, people say 'bah, that wasn't as good as the hype, I'm not buying it'.

But without ANY hype, games would not be known to a wide audience, so when it is released, few people know about it.

TheBest: Hype is good, but in small quantities
Tue 24/07/01 at 01:40
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I have already guessed that. Everyone at school who wees me off buys that imbicilic publication. I really, really want to shut them down.
Tue 24/07/01 at 01:34
Regular
i stoped buying that mag becasue it is marketed for young immmature biased nintys. the source of all the people u hate on here turbo.
Tue 24/07/01 at 01:31
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I hate NOM. Childish introverts.
Tue 24/07/01 at 01:26
Regular
official nintedo mag?! never trust them! they gave south park 90% bloody idiots, i went out and bought that game.
Tue 24/07/01 at 01:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, hype has dogged the PS2 from the start. Everyone always says that it didn't live up to the hype and admittadly, it didn't. The problem is, a lot of people just can't see it's still an excellent platfor with some top quality games, not just MGS2 and GT3.
Mon 23/07/01 at 23:21
Let me guess - the mag you are referring to is the Official Nintendo Mag?
Mon 23/07/01 at 22:46
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
With Nintendo ive always found hyped games to be exellent. I really trust the Nintendo mag i bye. All the games i own have been given over 90% in my mag. I have found other things that have been hugely hyped. Mainly playstaion stuff. Although movies are a big offender in hype. I mean tombraider is not actually a great movie yet it is making tonnes of money. why? Because there are constantly add for it.
Mon 23/07/01 at 22:12
You bring up a good point Strafex.

Another possibility could be to rent out the game before you decide to play it, just to see whether it does live up to the hype.
Mon 23/07/01 at 22:07
Regular
The best way to dampen hype is play a demo of the game before you read a review.

Reviewers are seeing a game for the first time.
It's amazing to them and it causes them to exadurate.

This exaduration builds up such an unrealistic picture in your mind, there's no way that you won't be disappointed.

If you play the game first, you'll understand what they mean and think the same way they do.

That way you'll know what to expect and you won't expect the impossible.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.