GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"BBC 1 on space"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/07/01 at 21:13
Regular
Did anyone watch this programme cus it was excellent.

I'm wondering if the comet which may have brought us here is the one that wiped out the dinosaurs.
we may be responsible haha

what did you think of the programme>?
Tue 24/07/01 at 13:22
Regular
I'm sure next weeks show will be amazing, can't wait.
Tue 24/07/01 at 13:19
Regular
I thought the programme was great, it was very detailed and accurate. I expecially liked those massive lasers that blew up the little micro chip thing.
Mon 23/07/01 at 23:45
Hmm amazing how much I picked up off sleeping in my GCSE Physics lessons, so I'm sorry if any of my info may be slightly un-accurate.

Ah well, you ain't perfect are you?
Mon 23/07/01 at 23:44
Umm there's two theories to the expanding thingy.

That as the universe is expanding, so are atoms and therefore so is everything.

If everything is expanding though at the same rate, there is no way possible to detect any kind of measurement.

Ah well, theory two.

That everything is expanding, and that it's slowing down too, and may eventually start contracting again until another 'big bang' will happen. This is being discovered because of the 'Red Shift', and is more likely, but is very hard to record because of the very slow time of change.

It won't start contracting for millions upon millions of years yet, so there is no need to start panicing yet.

Give it a few days first.
Mon 23/07/01 at 17:20
I thought it was too repetitive to be interesting. How many times did he tell us everything needed for life came from the stars. OK, I heard you the first time. Use the time to give us some more interesting details!

On the alien life thingy, I once read a quote that summed it up in a Daniel C. Dennett book (Darwin's Dangerous Idea is a truly mind-opening book if you ever get the chance). It went something like:

If there is life elsewhere in the universe, the implications are staggering. If there is not life elsewhere in the universe, the implications are staggering. There are no 'ho-hum' truths in cosmology.
Mon 23/07/01 at 16:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Wolverhampton
Mon 23/07/01 at 16:32
Regular
"Back For Good"
true,

what i want to know is scientists keep saying the universe is expanding but what exactly is it expanding into ( ? )
Mon 23/07/01 at 16:05
Regular
I forgot to watch this but it is the perfect way to discuss the possibilities of alien life.

If we did not come from the earth then the bible is wrong and we can stop hiding behind this very nice cover story of a mistical person creating everyting.

The fact that caught my attention was in the film contact:

"If only one solar sytem in a million has planets around its sun and only one in a million of those systems had a planet that could support life and if only one in a million of those planets had intelligent life then there are millions of inteligent species out there" (not a direct quote just made up from memory).

So could we be decendents of another race who were wiped out by a supper nova or another celistrial event?
Mon 23/07/01 at 15:20
I didn't like it.

I think it was just a way for the BBC to get rid of some money: use high tech graphics, and photography; and an actor who has no real knowledge of the subject anyway.

And it was full of presumptions (much like Walking With Dinosaurs), and no groundbreaking facts that I didn't learn in Key Stage 2 Science. There was too much potential there to cover in 1/2 hour, and it skimmed over everything ever so poorly and quickly.

I felt disappointed.

And IF life came on a comet, how did it get on the comet in the first placce???

The program was like, hey the comet came, life was created, simple as that. Too vague, people.

Anyone else feel this way?
Mon 23/07/01 at 15:07
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Armitage Shanks wrote:

Just possibly the most important statement ever made by
> man

:)

Messed with mine as well.
The Universe, one of the greatest mysteries and untapped future excitement, and Sam Neil made it dull.

That man has one emotion "Duh?"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.