GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"sonic the hedghog:what do you think?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Sonic The Hedgehog'.
Fri 23/04/04 at 00:08
Regular
"rock kickin!"
i like sonic PC games you should start likeing him to!post what you think.
Fri 23/04/04 at 23:02
Regular
Y'see what Cipro doesn't know is that your Sonic crazy :D
Fri 23/04/04 at 22:41
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Yeah, some of the poorer platform attempts on older consoles just make you want to burn everything in sight. :)

I just think the Sonic universe is just too engrossing and too special (to me anyway) to get all upset that the games don't have the same feel as they did in the past.
Fri 23/04/04 at 17:06
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Some fair points their Grandprix. I don't know why it is I have an aversion to the new sonic games; I think it's more to do with my falling out with the platform genre. After the original sonic games on the Megadrive I had ago at some of the slightly more complex 3D platform games on the PSOne, and soon came to hate the genre that I once liked.

These days I can't play on a platform game without getting annoyed. Sonic Adventure for me, just doesn't work as a 3D game, I'd have loved to see it stick to it's 2d routes, though I suppose that an impossibility considering the state of games these days.

I did use to love sonic game but the new just don't leave me with the same sense of enjoyment as their predecessors did back in the good old days.
Fri 23/04/04 at 16:39
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
cipro wrote:

> I would, rubbish, simple and boring.

I totally disagree. For what they were at the time, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were really good games, considering they were on the Dreamcast. The environments were good, the music captured the atmosphere and the story behind it was well worked. They were re-released on the Gamecube with only slightly touched up graphics and added lastability.

> You're constantly on tracks that
> you have no control over, steer sonic onto a path and he’ll race down
> it, spectacularly but you have no control over any of his actions,
> any attempt to veer from this path and sonic will just come an abrupt
> end, forcing you to plod along the rest of the way.

I agree that part of the speed level do have tracks like that but I wouldn't say you were constantly on tracks. Just like the 2D games, there are various routes to take and not all the straight forward ones are the quickest. To fully complete the game, you have to explore, because speed and points are crucial to get the top grades.

That brings me to your simple comment. The basic story levels can be simple but I'd say that completing the games fully takes a lot of time and effort.

> It’s just not exciting enough; you are constantly on a linear journey
> collecting rings, bashing robots and getting caught in scripted
> races. That was expectable back in the 16-bit days, but I expect more
> from games now, sonic just doesn’t cut it anymore.

A linear journey that involves taking numerous routes, solving problems and spending lots of time getting the results to unlock what the game has to offer. Doesn't sound boring to me. It sounds like a game that doesn't take a day to complete and then just rots on the shelf.

Okay, so you don't like the games, fine. You are entitled to your opinion. I think they've done a solid job and considering they have only made one new game for the current consoles would suggest that there is plenty of improvement ahead.
Fri 23/04/04 at 15:43
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Grandprix wrote:
> I wouldn't go as far dismissing them as total rubbish
> because they aren't.

I would, rubbish, simple and boring. Maybe it's just me growing up past the old platform games I used to love on the Megadrive, but I can't stand the new sonic games.

Playing in 3D just isn't the same as playing in 2D, going across the screen gave you a real sense of speed while going into the screen just doesn't give the same feeling. Your constantly on tracks that you have no control over, steer sonic onto a path and he’ll race down it, spectacularly but you have no control over any of his actions, any attempt to veer from this path and sonic will just come an abrupt end, forcing you to plod along the rest of the way.

It’s just not exciting enough; you are constantly on a linear journey collecting rings, bashing robots and getting caught in scripted races. That was expectable back in the 16-bit days, but I expect more from games now, sonic just doesn’t cut it anymore.
Fri 23/04/04 at 14:34
Regular
"dont like me bite m"
when you are talking sonic games tis best not to think just decide which direction to go and run
Fri 23/04/04 at 13:22
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I wish they had that little vocoder-esque voice at the begginning. "Saaaaaaygaaaaaahhhhhh"
Fri 23/04/04 at 13:18
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I think every Sonic game has at least one point that makes it worth getting. I also think people compare the old games to the new ones far too much. I have never played a Sonic game that I haven't enjoyed, old or new.

I just feel a few people just get blinded by the fact that they have memories of the older games and the newer ones play a little different. I wouldn't go as far dismissing them as total rubbish because they aren't.
Fri 23/04/04 at 12:22
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Sonic is so 16-bit. Honestly though, there where some great Sonic games back in the past, but they've failed to really adapt to the modern gaming world. Old Sonic games - good, new Sonic games - crap.
Fri 23/04/04 at 00:08
Regular
"rock kickin!"
i like sonic PC games you should start likeing him to!post what you think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.