GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TOP TEN CLASSIC GAMES (any format)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/07/01 at 22:17
Regular
This has proberly been done before, but peoples tastes change, so it might be an idea to drag up this topic again.

So, do your classic games start from the 80`s or are you from a younger generation with only the likes of your Playstation games collection to go by?

Is BLACK & WHITE top of your list, or are you still playing FALCON PATROL on your Commodore 64 (Remember that one, Mr Shanks!!)

Please try to also note which format the game was one if you can.

For the record, here are my top ten - traditionally given in reverse order...

10) COMMAND & CONQUER: RED ALERT (PC)
9) POPULOUS (AMIGA)
8) LASER SQUAD (CBM 64)
7) URIDIUM (CBM 64)
6) PARADROID (CBM 64)
5) WORLD CLASS LEADERBOARD (AMIGA & CBM 64)
4) JIMMY WHITES WHIRLWIND SNOOKER (AMIGA & PC)
3) SENSIBLE SOCCER (AMIGA)
2) TRANSPORT TYCOON DELUXE (PC)

And finally...

1) INTERNATIONAL 3D TENNIS (CBM 64 & AMIGA)
Wed 25/07/01 at 12:38
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Ok, best 10 games ever hmmmmm. Surely Pacman's got to be in there somewhere. This was one of the groundbreaking games that started the phenomenal ball of gaming rolling. If memories serve me well Pacman started off life in dusty arcades around the country. This was an incredibly humble start for this amazing game of the time. At this early stage of gaming life not many people played on games but those who did, me included, absolutely worshipped this game. I seem to remember all my change being sucked into this coin-op machine as if I was an addict trying to get ever bigger highs from the pixelated world inhabited by ghosts and a very attractive yellow munching machine-the venerable Pacman himself.

Once this game was released on 'mainstream' gaming 'consoles' the popularity soared. Just in case you had been living under a soundproof rock since the eighties, Pacman involved guiding the Pacman around 2D 'puzzle levels' in order to collect all of the yellow blobs (corn???) Now this might sound very easy but you also had to avoid the ghosts that inhabited the mazes in their never-ending quest to thwart Pacman’s eating habits. So, you are probably thinking what's so good about this? Well, looking back I cannot really tell you in detail but I do know that for those gamers weaned on Pong this was a great development. Also it was very addictive and the thrill you got when eating the magic corn and being able to turn on the ghosts and eat them has only been beaten once, by the thrill given by the magnificent Metal gear solid after sneaking past 7 guards before snapping another ones neck.

Pac man has managed to remain an icon of gaming for many years in the form of updated versions, Pacwoman (we have the women’s revolution to thank for this-only joking) and his inclusion in the ridge series as a very hard to get bonus car. This remarkable ability to stay firmly in the heart's of hardcore and old skool gamers and remind those new to the scene of what they have missed is surely a sign of the true greatness of Pacman.

Moving on from Pacman in a timescale kind of way, the next truly great game to come along in my mind was the Dizzy series. This was a fairly big series of games involving the lovable walking, jumping egg that for some strange reason always wore boxing gloves. If anyone has any ideas as to the reason for these gloves please tell me as I am sure that dizzy never punched anyone mainly because this was before the advent of violence in games and that these sort of things were unheard of as the systems did not have the capability to capture such graphic excellence! Dizzy was the first proper adventure game that I played on and as I was young it seemed very long and hard to complete. The game I remember most was Fantastic Dizzy on the master system. The Dizzy games had very simple controls, left and right for walking and one button for a jump in whichever direction the egg was facing. The real challenge in this game was the puzzles, which were actually quite hard to make out and really made you think. These puzzles involved things such as where to use an object and picture puzzles that made you try to create a picture of a wizard. The game was very diverse with plenty of side games such as carting through a mineshaft and barrel rolling down a waterfall. The soundtrack was typical off that era, matching the style of level to the music e.g. on a pirate ship the music was decidadly themed towards a sea chantey. The game itself was very large as it was released before the onset of the lovable memory card. Still to this day I have not completed this game due to the lack of a save function. Ahh, the magnificent dizzy games, a masterpiece before their time.

Now after including two seemingly ancient games in my top ten you probably think I’m some kind of retro nut. This is fair from the truth (see my retro games opinion) but I do believe that if I am doing a top ten best games ever list then this should include games from all eras that were masterpieces in their own time. Now the next game in my list should need little introduction. The game that arguably paved the way for multi-player party games like micro-machines. It has often been imitated but as we all know the real thing is so much better. Got it yet? Ok, here’s a massive clue, it was released on the Nes/Snes and its characters have remained at the forefront of Nintendo’s machines ever since. Yes I am talking about the original Mario kart. Now far from me to tell a lie and say that this game was perfect in every way, it wasn’t the graphics weren’t particularly good even at the time and the game was rather flat in single player. I have included in my list though as it created a genre that everyone loves. It is directly responsible for every cute cart based multiplayer mayhem racer such as Micro machines, Circuit breakers, Crash team racing and many more. It is also indirectly responsible for such hits as the Worms series and other multiplayer games as before Mario kart no one had thought about this possibility before.

Mario kart was simply an incredibly simple but very amusing and entertaining game. Its secret lay in not pretending or trying to be anything that it wasn’t. It entertains. The well-known fact is that people prefer to play games against real people; after all, you can’t really rub your victory into a computers face can you? Mario kart as we all know basically involved speeding round a basic track whilst using whatever devious means possible to ensure your own victory. Everyone had his or her favourite character on this game and I seem to remember mine as being that lizard thing Yoshi? Although I cannot for the life of me remember whether this was on the original or Mario 64. Mario Kart is undoubtedly one of the top ten games of all time just on sheer playability alone.

Here comes the dodgy one. This is where half of you moan and groan and possibly leave, just remember to rate first please. This is because the next game I have chosen to include is Final Fantasy 7. This was the Final fantasy game that finally (get it?) put square and their series properly into the limelight. This is because the other 6 before this were either not readably available in this country or were only released on quirky Jap computers. Final Fantasy 7 put the series firmly on the map as the best RPG and it has stayed at the top ever since. So why haven’t I put the other two games in as well (FF8 and FF9). This is because they were also great games but unfortunately sequels do not tend to be groundbreaking and I have tried to only include the true greats in this list. Final Fantasy 7 was perhaps the only game ever to have opened the RPG world up to the common gamer such as myself. A personal tribute to this game is that I forked out my hard earned on a Playstation just to play on this game. Unfortunately due to the type of game it is Final Fantasy has its critics. For people who are into action games this is definitely not for you. If you have played on Final Fantasy 7 the likely hood is that you either agree totally that this is a great game or have skipped this game and went on to the next entry. Final Fantasy 7 had a great storyline that I probably cannot do justice to right now but briefly it involved Cloud (you) joining a group of freedom fighters in a battle against the evil corporation Shinra and a strange person called Sephiroth. The game involves puzzle solving, adventure and a battle system reminiscent of a card game where you take turns to attack. The game itself was immense with many excellent side games such as Chocobo racing, snowboarding and a motorbike game. The fmv graphics were superb and the characters were very different if a little blocky in design. The storyline was a little weird and scattered with touches of humour-What can you expect, its Japanese! This game is probably still the best RPG in existence for fans of the genre and is better than the recent Final Fantasy games. For those of you who hate this game I feel very sorry for you, as this is undoubtedly a grand game.

That’s 4 games done now; I didn’t think I’d make it this far. After a rather controversial entry I feel that this game should appeal to everyone with no exception. After all what top ten would be complete without Gran Turismo. This game was and still is hailed as an excellent game. It took our conceptions of a good racing game and pounded them through a V8 engine before spitting them out in a trail of dust. Gran Turismo amazed everyone for many reasons. The amazing graphics, the huge array of cars, the detailed courses, the upgrading and tuning or the very realistic game play, there was truly something to get everybody’s engine raring and ready to go. I guess that the best innovations in this game had to be the very large selection of cars and the ability to tune these cars. These things had not been seen in any racing sim prior to GT’s timely arrival. Lets face it, the racing genre was going stale, all we had was the Ridge series, the gaming world was crying out for a rival and oh what a rival it was! GT was everything and more. It had a massive array of cars from exquisite super cars to regular everyday vehicles. This is what may have triggered GT’s success; you could race your own car as long as it was relatively sporty. The cars themselves were beautifully sculpted, as were the courses with the splendid Trial Forest course firmly planted in my head. The licenses were an extremely original idea that added variance and difficulty to the game. Strangely for a racing game, GT had a very long life-you had incentives to keep playing for longer such as the prize money and special prize cars. All in all GT was a fabulous game that came almost out of no-where to shatter the preconceptions of all gamers and replace them with this high standard of quality gaming.

I have now covered a wide variety of games and will now move back in time to include an offering from the now ailing Sega. This character and series first appeared on the Master System and has stayed with Sega ever since as some kind of mascot. He’s blue, he’s spiky and his name is Sonic the Hedgehog. Also with this entry I would also like to include his biggest rival, Mario. These two games were vying it out for at least a few years to determine which company, Sega or Nintendo would succeed and which character and series would rule the gaming world. As it happened not Sega or Nintendo had much of an advantage when their similar consoles were pitted against each other, Master System v NES and Mega-Drive v SNES. All during this battle the two mascots, Sonic and Mario were flying the flag for the two companies. The games stayed at the top of the then popular platform genre in various incarnations for many years and this is why I believe that these two games should be included in the top ten games of all time.

Sonic as no doubt you already now was a classic platform game involving running, jumping and collecting rings. As a rule any good platformer has to have an evil enemy and this was catered for in the form of Dr Robotnic. The game itself was fairly easy with each level basically involving you to get as high and to the right of the scrolling screen as possible in order to progress to the end of the fairly linear levels. The Boss fights were varied but all involved getting into a position where it was possible to jump attack Dr Robotnic. For some reason these games were great successes. They were not very original or innovative but they did possess an allure of addictiveness that kept the player going and the fast pace at which they were played was something of a plus. The series has generally been a success in every incarnation bar those on the Saturn and over the years sonic has been joined by tails and Knuckles. The immense success of the Sonic series also sparked a cartoon that was screened for quite some time-an amazing achievement for a game character; usually these conversions from game to TV usually fail dismally. The Sonic series has probably touched every games player in some way or another and has been one of very few successful platformers. For this I salute it, as the little spiky blue one is due to be lifted into the upper echelons of gaming heaven as Sega disperses. We may never see a new game with our blue friend again and this is a great pity.

With our last respects paid I turn to Sonic’s ever-present rival, Mario. The Mario series were fairly similar to the Sonic series in the game play and scrolling screens. There are only a few notable differences such as the mushrooms always evident in Mario games and the much better music. Mario, like Sonic, has been seen in various incarnations and picked up other characters such as his brother Luigi and Wario to name a few. The Mario series has also created a less than successful conversion to the TV world in a flop film hardly ever shown on TV due to its severe unpopularity. The game series has never wavered however and has survived on the Gameboy, NES, SNES and N64, an impressive achievement in anyone’s books. Lets look forward to the next gen Mario games on the hopefully incoming Gamecube but never forget where this humble character has his roots.

Oooops, back in to retro gaming I’m afraid, sorry. Three games left to go. An entry from the N64 I think. The jewel in the crown of this system had to be goldeneye. Whilst myself and other Playstaion users were happily playing away the Nintendo fans droned on about their beloved Goldeneye till yours ears would bleed. This was mainly because it was the only good game on the N64 but it was also a truly great game well deserving of being in my top ten. Goldeneye is a stealth spy game that was and probably still is head and shoulders above the rest. As it is loosely based around the James Bond 007 film of the same name many thought it would be like all the other film conversions that were not really very good. However this was stunning. The gameplay was truly involving as it involved all the things that we dream of namely being a secret agent and shooting numerous people. Goldeneye appealed to many people in as it could be played in different ways. Some people took it at face value as a stealth type game and tried their utmost to complete every level in secret agent without cheating. Other, slightly more childish gamers such as yours truly could take great pleasure in shooting the guards in the crotch and watching them roll around in agony, hehe. The 1 player game was involving and the different difficulty levels gave Goldeneye a long playability lifespan. However what really aggravated Playstation owners was Goldeneye’s multi-player mode. This is the most fun ever had from a multiplayer shooting game and the various cheats seemed to enhance it rather than detract, as is usually the case with such cheats. Goldeneye was a very good achievement for Nintendo and as such deserves a place in any hall of fame.

2 left to go. A strange entry this, in many peoples eyes, Tony Hawks Pro Skater. Why you ask? Well, I always like a game that opens up a new genre, as it doesn’t happen very often. Tony Hawk’s did this very thing for the extreme sports games and skateboarding in particular, after all what other skating games are actually good? Tony Hawk’s did have bad points especially the terrible soundtrack but it was a great game. Never before had a skateboarding game been so popular with everyday gamers. It was the irisistable blend of speed and death defying tricks together with bone crunching crashes that made this game so good. The graphics were good and the game was addictive and challenging without getting tedious. This game is mainly in my top ten because it has paved the way for games like SSX which would possibly never have been created without Tony Hawk’s to set the ball rolling.

Finally I come to the last entry. I figured I should leave this one till last, as it seems to like creating suspense. The game I am talking about is Metal Gear Solid. This game was released among a blaze of publicity and excellent reviews. Being the sceptic that I am I decided that they must have bribed all the magazines for good reviews. However I duly went out to buy it and was confronted by a shopkeeper waxing lyrical about this game. I thought it could only be an anti-climax but this was far from the truth. MGS is a superb game that is well deserving of a mention as it brought a new side in to gaming and was a very good game. MGS involves thought as well as skill and stealth that is a good combination for a game like this. The storyline was not the best but the game always encouraged the player to go further before saving and leaving the game. The weapons were varied, from the long-range fun of the sniper rifle to the equally involving nikita rockets. This game was very hard and was obviously not aimed at young gamers. It paved the way for other good games such as Syphon Filter 2 and the only criticism I have of this game is that it is too short.

They are my top ten games of all time and all that remains is for me to put them in order

10 Mario land
9 Sonic
8 Tony Hawks
7 Dizzy’s fantastic adventures
6 Mario kart
5 Final fantasy 7
4 Metal Gear Solid
3 Goldeneye
2 Gran Turismo
1 Pacman

Hope you have enjoyed reading my top ten and I would like to further acknowledge another game that I would have loved to have included in this list but didn’t as it was quite obscure and most of you have never heard of it. The game was called Cosmic Spacehead on the Master System and was a very weird game that was a kind of adventure/rpg/point and click game and never achieved the accolades that it deserved.

Thanks for reading. Jd99

Yeah as if you did, I damn well wouldn't!

:D
Wed 25/07/01 at 12:53
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
jd99 wrote:
> Ok, best 10 games ever hmmmmm. Surely Pacman's got to be in there
> somewhere. This was one of the groundbreaking games that started the
> phenomenal ball of gaming rolling.

Not really... That honor really goes to Pong and Space Invaders

If memories serve me well Pacman
> started off life in dusty arcades around the country. This was an
> incredibly humble start for this amazing game of the time.

At this time, the best games were arcade games. Arcades themselves were increadably popular.

Being a computer game first would have been a humble origin...

Consoles/computers = TV Programme
Arcade = Movies/Hollywood.

At this
> early stage of gaming life not many people played on games but those
> who did, me included, absolutely worshipped this game.

Gamesing was THE thing to do... It was an increadably popular phenonenom. As big, if not bigger than the later SNES/Megadrive poplarity.

Pac man has managed to remain an
> icon of gaming for many years in the form of updated versions,
> Pacwoman (we have the women’s revolution to thank for this-only
> joking)

try Ms PacMan

Moving on from Pacman in a timescale kind of way, the
> next truly great game to come along in my mind was the Dizzy series.

Not really... PcMan was early 80's ... Dizzy was late eighties... nearly a ten year time difference?

> tell me as I am sure that dizzy never punched anyone mainly because
> this was before the advent of violence in games and that

Apart from pretty much every game ever released? :)

> party games like micro-machines. It has often been imitated but as
> we all know the real thing is so much better. Got it yet? Ok, here’s
> a massive clue, it was released on the Nes/Snes and its characters
> have remained at the forefront of Nintendo’s machines ever since.
> Yes I am talking about the original Mario kart.

Micro MAchines was released before Mario Kart, which was never avalible on the NES
Wed 25/07/01 at 13:55
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Wow you actually bothered reading it.

Lots of mistakes but I must have wrote it about a year ago whilst I was under the influence of many halluciongenic drugs, what Pink elephant again?

Anywho, I don't really know why I posted that rubbish, at least it was long meaningless spam type material rather than "My favoriTE GAme is WHer u driv THAt car, u no th 1."

:D Sorry
Wed 25/07/01 at 14:07
Regular
"Back For Good"
oh man have you seen that post down below,some people have way too much free time.

No one's mentioned

cannon fodder
mega man
another world
pinball dreams
desert strike
super mario all stars
Wed 25/07/01 at 14:09
Regular
"Bring back Mullets"
Ah, Cannon Fodder I remember playing that in my IT lessons. It really paid off, at the end of the year the teacher thought me IT-illeterate whilst I was a master of guiding those little men around the battle field.
Thu 26/07/01 at 08:11
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
N64

1) Zelda Ocarina Of Time
2) Banjo Kazooie
3) Mario 64
4) Mario Kart
5) Goldeneye
6) Zelda Majoras Mask
7) Donkey Kong 64

thats all i can think of at the mo.
Thu 26/07/01 at 12:48
"The pen is mightier"
Indian-DudeY2K wrote:
> N64

1) Zelda Ocarina Of Time
2) Banjo Kazooie
3) Mario 64
4)
> Mario Kart
5) Goldeneye
6) Zelda Majoras Mask
7) Donkey Kong
> 64

thats all i can think of at the mo.

Not surprised! bit limited on the gaming front by sticking to the N64, Despite the excellent games you`ve listed.
I do urge you to get out there and try OTHER formats as well, it would be worth your while...
Tue 31/07/01 at 16:29
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
My top ten favourite games off all time are as follows, in no particular order.

Elite (CBM64)
Player Manager (Amiga 500)
Crazy Comets/Mega Apocalypse (CBM64)
Tomb Raider (PSone)
X-Wing (PC)
Duel (CBM64)
Championship Manager Series (PC and Amiga 500)
Carrier Command (Amiga 500)
Gran Turismo (PSone)
Commando (CBM64)
Tue 31/07/01 at 21:50
"The pen is mightier"
I know that last list was not in any sort of order, but I notice alot of you are listing ELITE very highly in this and other topics. But which was the best version??

I found the CBM 64 version too slow, cumbersome and frustrating, and the Amiga version just seemed to lack "something"... or is it just me...?????
Wed 01/08/01 at 01:04
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
I think that you could be right, I had Elite on the C64, then Spectrum and Amiga. I’d listed it under CBM64 simply because it was the first version of the game that I had, and the most memorable for that reason.

The CBM64 version was as you say, more cumbersome than the Spectrum version. This was much faster moving, also with the missions that were missing from the CBM64 version for some reason. Thinking back to the last time I played this version (CBM64), things could really slow down, particularly when other ships were initially destroyed and the cargo/escape pod was jettisoned. When Thargoids turned up and deployed the smaller ships it really struggled.

I just didn’t get into the Spectrum version though, not for any specific reason I can think of, though I wasn’t too fond of the slightly different screen layout.

I played the Amiga version quite a lot and understand what you mean, it seemed to me that the improvement in graphics just didn’t suit the game – which I know sounds odd but that’s the only way I can explain it. Plus it seemed to throw the same ships at you time and time again, which sort of grated.

You are right about one thing though; Elite is certainly my favourite game, ever. I’ve still got the Dark Wheel novella, which shows itself now and then when I fancy a trip back to my younger days.

The playability and re-playability of the game is in my mind was and maybe still is unparalleled.

Just a note, I’ve listed a game Duel for the CBM64, which should read Feud for the CBM64.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.