GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A couple of quick import questions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/04/04 at 16:30
Regular
My PS2 will be arriving this week from the US however the place I bought it from doesn't sell US games. I was hoping to buy them from within this country but aren't sure on who has the best prices. Goblin Direct can basically stock their crap where the sun doesn't shine, I'm not paying £45 that is for sure.

I have never used Import Madness before, are they based in the UK or will it be the usual tax charges etc? Their prices are reasonable and I was hoping for someone who has used them to give me a little nudge in the right direction.

Also a step down converter, my local shops are basically crap and one hadn't even heard of them which was followed by a laugh. Any cheap places to grab one ASAP?

Cheers.
Mon 26/04/04 at 17:16
Regular
Cheers for the info, glad you mentioned about the step down converter though, I was heading to order it there and then but emailed a company to double check, still awaiting their reply, not that it matters now.
Mon 26/04/04 at 12:42
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Bleeders wrote:

> Rightio. Best place for US Software is without a shadow of a doubt
> IMO, either Video Games Plus - www.videogamesplus.ca or Tronix -
> www.tronixweb.com.

Well best place for US Software is my friend but i suppose that site isn't bad as well :-D
Mon 26/04/04 at 09:46
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
*IMPORTANT*

Whatever you do, don't plug your PS2 into a 30 watt stepdown! I'd give it about five minutes at that wattage before it blows up.

I'm speaking from experience here, I thought the stepdown I had been using with my Dreamcast for years (60 watt) would do fine for my first import PS2... after 1 hour of play time it went off with a big bang and a very peculiar smell. The stepdown had melted and several components on the power supply in the PS2 were charred. They are not easy to replace either...

Look at spending £30 on a stepdown. For that I got a huge 350 watt mother with it's own fuse, switch and four sockets. I've been running a GC, DC and two PS2s off this and it's barely even heated up.

I tend to buy US imports 2nd hand, it's only the really anticipated titles I will plump for... but if I did I would check the following:

www.ng03.co.uk
www.videogameimports.com (they may only do Jpn actually)...
www.ncsx.com

in that order.
Mon 26/04/04 at 08:45
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> My PS2 will be arriving this week from the US however the place I
> bought it from doesn't sell US games. I was hoping to buy them from
> within this country but aren't sure on who has the best prices.
> Goblin Direct can basically stock their crap where the sun doesn't
> shine, I'm not paying £45 that is for sure.
>
> I have never used Import Madness before, are they based in the UK or
> will it be the usual tax charges etc? Their prices are reasonable and
> I was hoping for someone who has used them to give me a little nudge
> in the right direction.
>
> Also a step down converter, my local shops are basically crap and one
> hadn't even heard of them which was followed by a laugh. Any cheap
> places to grab one ASAP?
>
> Cheers.

Rightio. Best place for US Software is without a shadow of a doubt IMO, either Video Games Plus - www.videogamesplus.ca or Tronix - www.tronixweb.com.

VGP has the edge at the moment for me, since it's cheap and you will usually receive your game between 3-5 days from shipping.

As for a step-down. Maplins website is your friend. They sell them.
Sun 25/04/04 at 23:23
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Some good choices there, should keep you more than busy for a while, especially Disgaea. Especially if like me you like to just rinse the hell out of the levels
Sun 25/04/04 at 23:19
Regular
Final Fantasy X and am going to order Xenosaga tomorrow to go with it. Will pre-order Metal Gear 3 and grab Winning Eleven 7, Syphon Filter Omega Strain, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness and Onimusha 3 with the special sword controller within the next 6-8 weeks.
Sun 25/04/04 at 23:12
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I know what you mean i almost burned my hand on my old computer after i left it on for a few days.

So what games you getting with it then? And what else do you plan on getting?
Sun 25/04/04 at 22:59
Regular
Power Consumption: 15 watts, perhaps not then.

It's no wonder my PC is like a fricking furnace.
Sun 25/04/04 at 22:56
Regular
I have a 500 watt power unit in my PC but then again my graphics card requires a bare minmum of 350 watt. I am sure it will need more than 30 though.
Sun 25/04/04 at 22:54
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Not a clue mate i couldn't tell you, i just saw the USA to Uk thing and posted it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.