GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/07/01 at 22:32
Regular
So, um, anyone like games here?

Which genres do you think we will see the most changes in over the next generation? Which will lose popularity?

I can see survival horror, or indeed horror in general becoming more successful as a genre, with the superior graphics adding to the game. However, I feel that the graphics won't be the main reason why it develops, but because developers see the more adult oriented titles as being more profitable, so are willing to give something a go that might put them ahead of the competition.

When I heard that 'The Thing' was going to become a game, I was very excited by the prospect. If it can capture anything of the paranoia of the movie, not knowing who the enemy is, not trusting anybody, then it could be a real milestone in 'horror gaming'.
Thu 19/07/01 at 22:32
Regular
"not dead"
So, um, anyone like games here?

Which genres do you think we will see the most changes in over the next generation? Which will lose popularity?

I can see survival horror, or indeed horror in general becoming more successful as a genre, with the superior graphics adding to the game. However, I feel that the graphics won't be the main reason why it develops, but because developers see the more adult oriented titles as being more profitable, so are willing to give something a go that might put them ahead of the competition.

When I heard that 'The Thing' was going to become a game, I was very excited by the prospect. If it can capture anything of the paranoia of the movie, not knowing who the enemy is, not trusting anybody, then it could be a real milestone in 'horror gaming'.
Thu 19/07/01 at 22:34
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Meka_Dragon wrote:
I can see survival horror, or indeed horror in
> general becoming more successful as a genre,

yeah... it is a hugly popular genre at the moment... I reckon this is the genre that will see the most dramatic development over the next couple of years?
Thu 19/07/01 at 22:35
Regular
"everyone says it"
I don't care all I know is I can't find your email address and I want Secret Of Mana NOW!

:D

[email protected]

Thanks.
Thu 19/07/01 at 22:37
Regular
"everyone says it"
Metroid has already been suggested to be an 18 rated game.. apparently the game is sick... and makes the gamer feel sick!
Thu 19/07/01 at 22:45
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I'd like to see survival horror games with better lighting. Alone in the Dark? They took that one a bit too literally.

Yes, The Thing is currently being developed, for the X-Box.

Fishing games will go downhill a bit, they are losing their originality. The only one they haven't done yet is Sega Course Fishing, but when they do that will be the last.

More realism is gaming is just around the corner, TOCA gameplay with GT3 visuals can only be months away on any platform.

Head Hunter is one of the most exciting prospects in terms of new standards in games, those kinds of titles are as rare as Zelda, Metal Gear Solid or Skies of Arcadia; they only come out once a year but when they do, everyone is talking about them whether or not it's on their own platform.

I'm looking forward to more RPG development, steering them away from Adventure genres and heading back to basis with true RPG elements incorporated into one package again, a rarity these days.

I'm looking forward to more realism in terms of physics engines, where if you hit a car with another car you see the damage realtime, or if you drive your rally car into a tree and roll it down a hill, you actually take out a few spectators as well.

I'm looking forward to more gore in shoot 'em ups, previously all we've had is the odd splatter of blood. PC games have added bodyparts and gore, lets have more of that on the consoles, we're old enough for it now, so the higher age rating on the game's case won't be too much of a hindrance to profit.

I'm looking forward to games that bring new levels of immersion into your environment, games that can take you away from it all for a few hours at a time, that so absorb you in the gameplay that you become as one with it, and I'm not talking about hypnotic Tetris style gameplay, I mean huge and compelling storylines that lift you up and take you to worlds you've never seen.

Finally, I want to see more Sci-Fi based games on consoles, there aren't enough of them out there, we seem to be stuck with driving/shooting/rpg'ing/adventuring. Bring us a bit of Sci-Fi to relieve some of the monotony.
Fri 20/07/01 at 00:11
Regular
"everyone says it"
Its my birthday today!

Not really!
Fri 20/07/01 at 00:20
Regular
er-no wrote:
> Its my birthday today!

Not really!

----

Happy Birthday!

Not really!
Fri 20/07/01 at 10:06
I know that its gonna be all over for tetris and bust a move, in fact quite a few puzzle games will lose out as they cant really make use of the extra power that will be available.
Fri 20/07/01 at 10:33
Regular
I think that the Horror game will be the next 'big thing'. Not horror as in Resident Evil, actually 'horror' maybe the wrong word. Perhaps 'psychological' would be better.

Games like American McGees Alice, and Cliver Barkers Undying. Games that take the FPS genre, but mould it into something completely different. I've only played the demo of CB's Undying, but I'm tempted to get the full game.

A number of games have been released recently with ratings, Perfect Dark, Undying, Alice, Resident Evil: Code Veronica was a 15. Developers don't seem to be afraid of slapping a certificate on their games like they used. Maybe this is because games are more mainstream so they know it'll still sell?

The ability is now there to make games that are more likely to need a certificate. With faster and faster hardware, better sound (both software and hardware) it's easier for developers to make games that require a rating. When the first Quake came out and I played it on my P75 (hey! it was fast in it's day!) the graphics, compared to today were terrible. The gore was ridiculously pixellated and all in all it wasn't that lifelike at all. However, it still got rated a 15.

I think we will see a rise in the number of 'psychological' games. Games like the ones I've already mentioned, Alice, Undying etc, to get the effect needed, all need good graphics and sound. Those are both things that, until relatively recently, weren't that easy to reproduce. Now that processor power seems to be increasing quicker than the demand from the software, we will see that power put to use in games like this.

The PS2 has an option for surround sound (I think) with the power that the PS2 has, we will probably soon see games with cinematic effects. I don't mean the player just sits there and presses a button every now and again. Because of the grpahics and sound (and storyline of course) the player will be immersed in the game world, like someone is immersed in a film world.

The power and opportunities are there to create some truely great game playing experiences, but to get it write, the game needs a good story line, a good writer. That is something no amount of hardware can produce.
Fri 20/07/01 at 20:54
Regular
"I like cheese"
I think a game using the sort of idea in Hollow Man could be good.

An Invisible Man game.

It could be called innovative names such as, "Invisibility," or, "The Invisible Man."

{:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.