GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stereophonics"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/07/01 at 11:31
Regular
On the way to work this morning:

"Have a nice day -ba-bap ba-bap-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba"

'Yes, yes I will have a nice day', I thought, and switched the radio off.

This band used to mean something to me. Their songs said something that I wanted to hear, they were making music that I enjoyed listening to. It seemed to have emotion - songs like More Life in A Tramps Vest and Local Boy In The Photograph’.

But now, they just don't sound the same. The songs sound too forced, and all of the meaning has gone.

It seems like they were storytellers that have run out of stories.

Why does this happen to a band? Can't they move on, progress? Why do I lose interest in them?
Wed 25/07/01 at 12:15
Regular
"Acid Casual"
I had the misfortune of seeing the 'phonics at the Millennium Stadium last Saturday. I have a friend who works the security there and was handed 8 tickets about an hour before they went on stage (I couldn't even find seven other people who wanted to go!).

Hmmm... tough one this. I used to have admiration for the phonics. God even 5 years ago my band supported them in a local Cardiff club on the night they got signed. The gig was infront of about 60 people and now they're playing to 60,000.

Its all become a bit too *safe*. Rock n roll is about escapism be it musically/performance led/whatever. In a time where nothing is that shocking anymore we opt for the safe bet. This is where the phonics fit in. Theres no danger involved, its just meat and veg. There is nothing to like, yet there is nothing to hate and when most of the country is apathetic you have a recipe for success.

Traffic, 1000 trees, local boy.... all fantastic tunes. The phonics opened with these in Cardiff and they turned pontential classics into drawn out, dull meanderings. We were there for the taking. God, Kelly Jones could have farted down the microphone and people would still worship at his feet. But there was no connection, no feeling of will they/wont they not even a genuine show of appreciation that people bothered to turn up. I'm sorry but if I get up on a stage infront of 60,000 people I'm gonna have the time of my life. You only get one chance.

I feel this will be the beginning of the end for messers Jones, Cable and Jones. There is only so long they can make monkeys out of us. And there are only so many songs you can write about a working mans club.
Tue 24/07/01 at 15:56
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Ö=ResŒvilfan=Ö wrote:
> My sister's met the lead singer of sterophonics down in cardiff
> university face to face!!

Poor girl.

I'll admit I used to be a fan of the 'phonics. I even went to see them at Brixton, but all that did was make me realise how awful they really are (b4 JEEP was released). The songs were stale and played with no emotion. One good thing about that was The Crocketts were supporting them. They REALLY rock. I'll also take pride in knowing that although I own the 'phonics first 2 albums, I didn't pay a penny for them.
Sun 22/07/01 at 18:34
Regular
"You're a bloody mentalist!"

On a side note, your tagline made me laugh, Ali.
Sun 22/07/01 at 18:14
Regular
Errr yea, what a good idea for an album, you are mental!
Sun 22/07/01 at 18:10
Oh, and the Stereophonics have gone ever so slightly 'Quo'. The first album was great, second was listenable but recently they seem to have lost their way a bit.

On a completely unrelated topic, when I was on holiday I saw a Spanish poster for what seemed like a band. It was black and white and had four Spanish Power rangers on it, with the heading 'Status: Crack'. I thought this was really funny, and took a photo. That's what my first album will be called that, Status: Crack.

Am I mental?
Sun 22/07/01 at 18:06
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Didn't mind Kid A so much... hated Treefingers,
> Pull/Pulk...

Radiohead I do now believe are going to go back to
> just plain music making. Emotional stuff again, excellent.

Just a
> small sub note, am I the only person in the world that actually
> enjoyed Unbreakable? :0)

Nope, I quite liked it. Nice ending and all that. I suppose it is one of those films where you don't quite realise what's going on until the end, where it all starts to make sense. I still have an aversion to Bruce Willis though.
Sun 22/07/01 at 16:33
Regular
"Back For Good"
My sister's met the lead singer of sterophonics down in cardiff university face to face!!
Sat 21/07/01 at 18:12
I like Pull/Pulk Revolving doors.

I like the Apex Twin feel to it.

Every Radiohead album has it's adaptations so, in theory, they should last a long time and develop fully.

Whereas Stereophonics (and I have said this a lot) are caught in a recycle of themselves, and are afraid to do something daring, and try a new style of song, and be less cynical.

I mean TV advertisments for a concert this close to the date, for tickets. For a gig that had to change venue because of low ticket sales.

Tut tut.

Talk about unconvincing.
Thu 19/07/01 at 21:44
Regular
Didn't mind Kid A so much... hated Treefingers, Pull/Pulk...

Radiohead I do now believe are going to go back to just plain music making. Emotional stuff again, excellent.

Just a small sub note, am I the only person in the world that actually enjoyed Unbreakable? :0)
Thu 19/07/01 at 15:06
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I agree... coming back from my holiday my copy of Kid A got smashed to pieces :)

I am thinking of not getting a new copy... sorry I was thinking of not getting a new copy but I had too :D

( Sheepy has his Radiohead T-shirt on and is watching 'meeting people is easy') :D

Treefingers was the worst... poor songs on Pablo Honey are even better

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.