GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any one else had or is having the "Blue disc problem" with the PS2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/04/04 at 10:41
Regular
"inexperienced"
Is anyone else out there having a problem with playing blue discs? I think i know what is causing the problem but i just wanted to get an idea of how many other people out there have experienced the problem and what they have done about that. Sony aren't being very helpful and their costs for repair are extortionate. Cheers.
Mon 03/05/04 at 19:26
Regular
"object"
This probably wont help you but most ps 2 games come on DVD format they are the silver ones, and they can hold about 8 times as much as CD format and DVD is more compact, some games come on CD the blue disks if the games fit on them that is, cause thay are cheaper, and less compact, meaning that the disk drive has to spin faster you may of noticed that when you play a blue disk, the ps 2 starts making more noise than usual which is the disk drive spining faster. My guese is that somthing in your disk drive has gone wrong so it is not able to spin fast enough, or the ps 2 dosent recognise that they are CD meaning that it is not telling the disk drive to spin faster than usual.
Mon 03/05/04 at 18:45
Regular
"LSS"
This might help...

It seems that some of the disc read errors are caused by a buildup of dust-not on the laser,but on the magnetic rubber device that holds the cd/dvd in place.The reason that the blue-bottomed discs are the first to suffer the DISC READ ERRORS-they have to spin faster then the dvds.It's also the reason for scratches&scuffs.Since the dics aren't being held properly in place, they are damaging themselves on the plastic of the cd tray as they spin.The first thing to do is buy a can of COMPRESSED AIR, and spray it into the open cd tray...let the baby rip.Just beCAREFUL NOT TO GET ANY WATER FROM THE CONDENSATION INTO THE PS2.

Now if that doens't do the trick this should:on any of the ps/ps2 discs that cause a disc read error,take two pieces of scotch tap about a inch long and place them on the label(the top)side of the disc.Put them as close to the center,without actually covering any of the hole,parallel to one another,so that it looks more like an H.Thats it.those 2 pieces of tap enhance the grip on the disc and presto...the disc read error is solved.
Fri 30/04/04 at 16:07
Regular
": ("
lalakersrule wrote:
> Yup sounds like the Dreaded DRE error of which i'm lucky not to have
> been affected by.........yet. Either need a quick clean of the lens
> or a new lens altogether.

This is what drove me to getting an Xbox, i am now happy.
Fri 30/04/04 at 14:36
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Kate84 wrote:
> Thank you bullet, I have tried a couple of lens cleaners. I just
> wanted to know if anyone else has had or heard of the problem as i
> have seen other forums full of people complaining about the problem.

From what I've read lens cleaners only exacerbate the problem because of the way the lens is mounted. You have to either stump up for the repair, do a DIY on it (I DIY'd my last PS2 and it went on for another 3 months before it gave DRE's on everything) or just let it die and buy a silver one (if you're rich).

In the USA, if you complain hard enough to support and mention DRE you get the repair done for free, haven't heard of anyone in the UK getting that solution offered yet.
Fri 30/04/04 at 12:36
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
No ones ever going to forget about Dre again are they.

*Shakes Head*
Fri 30/04/04 at 12:32
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Yup sounds like the Dreaded DRE error of which i'm lucky not to have been affected by.........yet. Either need a quick clean of the lens or a new lens altogether
Fri 30/04/04 at 12:08
Regular
No probs.

It is a common problem on the PS2 - widely known as the DRE (Disc Read Error). You are definitely not the only person to experience this problem.

The problem is, in most cases, the only resolution is to pay the service charges from Sony or buy a new unit - that's not to say you might not have a chance though :)

Fingers crossed you can get it sorted out!
Fri 30/04/04 at 12:04
Regular
"inexperienced"
Thank you bullet, I have tried a couple of lens cleaners. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had or heard of the problem as i have seen other forums full of people complaining about the problem.
Fri 30/04/04 at 11:38
Regular
JAT = Just Arrived Today.

So, you have a first-generation PS2? The drive could well be dying of natural causes then. PS2s aren't known to last long (although I've never had a problem with them).

Try the lens cleaning though - it could save you a lot of money :D
Fri 30/04/04 at 11:32
Regular
"inexperienced"
What is JAT??? Basically my prob is in more detail:

my console is 2 years old and the older H drive is in it .The blue discs are compact disc based games which require to be spun at a faster rate that the DVD ones for some reason the console is unable to do this and the games can't play and neither can music CDs. Sound familiar to anyone.

:-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.