GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Any one else had or is having the "Blue disc problem" with the PS2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/04/04 at 10:41
Regular
"inexperienced"
Is anyone else out there having a problem with playing blue discs? I think i know what is causing the problem but i just wanted to get an idea of how many other people out there have experienced the problem and what they have done about that. Sony aren't being very helpful and their costs for repair are extortionate. Cheers.
Fri 30/04/04 at 10:41
Regular
"inexperienced"
Is anyone else out there having a problem with playing blue discs? I think i know what is causing the problem but i just wanted to get an idea of how many other people out there have experienced the problem and what they have done about that. Sony aren't being very helpful and their costs for repair are extortionate. Cheers.
Fri 30/04/04 at 10:57
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Sorry, no problems here. Try cleaning the lens though.
Fri 30/04/04 at 11:00
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
What games aren't working for you and where did you buy the games from?
Fri 30/04/04 at 11:15
Regular
It certainly sounds like the laser is in need of cleaning. Have you had the unit long?

Try a CD drive cleaner (you can usually get kits that clean both CD and DVD lenses these days) and make sure your discs are literally spotless, so as to make sure you have done everything you can. If the problem persists, the drive may be in need of repair. If it isn't in warranty Sony would charge you. I'm not sure of the prices, but you yourself said they are extortionate. How extortionate? Would it be worth investing in a new PS2?

You could sell the faulty PS2 on eBay as people are always looking for broken consoles to fix up.

Er, first things first though, clean the lenses and the discs to see if that's the problem!

I've got to stop going off on tangents like this! :D
Fri 30/04/04 at 11:18
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
ßulle†† wrote:
> It certainly sounds like the laser is in need of cleaning. Have you
> had the unit long?
>
> Try a CD drive cleaner (you can usually get kits that clean both CD
> and DVD lenses these days) and make sure your discs are literally
> spotless, so as to make sure you have done everything you can. If the
> problem persists, the drive may be in need of repair. If it isn't in
> warranty Sony would charge you. I'm not sure of the prices, but you
> yourself said they are extortionate. How extortionate? Would it be
> worth investing in a new PS2?
>
> You could sell the faulty PS2 on eBay as people are always looking
> for broken consoles to fix up.
>
> Er, first things first though, clean the lenses and the discs to see
> if that's the problem!
>
>
> I've got to stop going off on tangents like this! :D

Let's not ask the poor 'inexperienced' lass too many questions, especially as she is a JAT. :D
Fri 30/04/04 at 11:30
Regular
ßulle†† wrote:
> I've got to stop going off on tangents like this! :D

what can I say, it's a habit! My train of thought can do crazy things in the space of a few seconds!
Fri 30/04/04 at 11:32
Regular
"inexperienced"
What is JAT??? Basically my prob is in more detail:

my console is 2 years old and the older H drive is in it .The blue discs are compact disc based games which require to be spun at a faster rate that the DVD ones for some reason the console is unable to do this and the games can't play and neither can music CDs. Sound familiar to anyone.

:-)
Fri 30/04/04 at 11:38
Regular
JAT = Just Arrived Today.

So, you have a first-generation PS2? The drive could well be dying of natural causes then. PS2s aren't known to last long (although I've never had a problem with them).

Try the lens cleaning though - it could save you a lot of money :D
Fri 30/04/04 at 12:04
Regular
"inexperienced"
Thank you bullet, I have tried a couple of lens cleaners. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had or heard of the problem as i have seen other forums full of people complaining about the problem.
Fri 30/04/04 at 12:08
Regular
No probs.

It is a common problem on the PS2 - widely known as the DRE (Disc Read Error). You are definitely not the only person to experience this problem.

The problem is, in most cases, the only resolution is to pay the service charges from Sony or buy a new unit - that's not to say you might not have a chance though :)

Fingers crossed you can get it sorted out!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.