GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"56K Modems..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/07/01 at 22:25
Regular
Hi there, I really need some advice on 56k modems. I currently have an MR Modem and i use the internet mostly for gaming. When i play UnrealTournament i get pings of around 270 - 300. Because this is very pants i want to get a new modem that gives me pings of say 150 - 200. It would have to be an external modem and i was wondering i would be better off if i bought this modem as i don't know the modem i have is good or bad....

DIAMOND SUPRAEXPRESS 56e PRO EXTERNAL 56K V.90 VOICE / FAX / MODEM. BT approved. Hayes, group 3 and class 1 fax compatible. K56 Flex technology and V.90 compatible. Allows up to 115,200 BPS. Complete with internet bundle, fax/comms software and free starter guide. 5 Year Manufacturers Warranty. £64.99.

I'd be grateful if people would reply, Thanks.
Wed 18/07/01 at 22:25
Hi there, I really need some advice on 56k modems. I currently have an MR Modem and i use the internet mostly for gaming. When i play UnrealTournament i get pings of around 270 - 300. Because this is very pants i want to get a new modem that gives me pings of say 150 - 200. It would have to be an external modem and i was wondering i would be better off if i bought this modem as i don't know the modem i have is good or bad....

DIAMOND SUPRAEXPRESS 56e PRO EXTERNAL 56K V.90 VOICE / FAX / MODEM. BT approved. Hayes, group 3 and class 1 fax compatible. K56 Flex technology and V.90 compatible. Allows up to 115,200 BPS. Complete with internet bundle, fax/comms software and free starter guide. 5 Year Manufacturers Warranty. £64.99.

I'd be grateful if people would reply, Thanks.
Thu 19/07/01 at 00:14
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, all modems are virtually the same. There's not much difference in quality. Also, V.90 is not that great. Some ISPs may not really be V.90 anyway. I have used V.90 ISPs and normal ISPs and it doesn't really increase your ping that much, or at all sometimes.

I'd say keep your current one and save up for broadband.
Thu 19/07/01 at 01:41
Regular
"How Handy."
You wont get your ping down that far, but if you need a new modem that's the one to get. Ignore turbo (soz mate!) I have one and it works wonders. *proudly looks at the stylish blue plastic box cluttering up his desk*

Whooo!
Thu 26/07/01 at 12:39
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
I should ignore both of those guys. My friend used to play Counter-Strike with a ping of 1200, then he got a new external modem and got it down to 190! I own the internal version of the modem you listed (also available from SR) and I get a ping of between 160-170! Modems do make a big difference. There are two distinct groups - software and hardware ones. You can't really tell the difference between them but I can assure you that mine and the one you want are both hardware (that's a good thing).
Thu 26/07/01 at 20:23
thanks guyz, much appreciated
Well SR are gonna be 60 odd quid richer when i can get the money :D
Fri 27/07/01 at 02:45
There is a big differnce between modems.

If you want to play games on-line best to stay clear of
Internal software modems.

Your best bet would be an External (Hardware Modem).

USRobotics, Diamond, or a Freeola External modem are
all good.
Fri 27/07/01 at 09:17
Regular
I use a diamond supra express 56e (external). Best modem I could find and it has full driver support and patches for all OS's (Microsoft at least I have never tried it on Linux)
Fri 27/07/01 at 13:48
Regular
"How Handy."
yeah it's a bob on little modem.
Fri 27/07/01 at 16:17
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Yeah, Diamond really know how to make modems. I've got the internal version of the one you described and i get a ping of about 160-170 on CounterStrike (which is pretty much as good as it gets for 56k users).
Fri 27/07/01 at 17:48
Regular
"How Handy."
What ISP is that? I normally get around 200 and I'm fairly happy with that but I think BT Anytime is fair cr@p for games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.