GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"56K Modems..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 18/07/01 at 22:25
Regular
Hi there, I really need some advice on 56k modems. I currently have an MR Modem and i use the internet mostly for gaming. When i play UnrealTournament i get pings of around 270 - 300. Because this is very pants i want to get a new modem that gives me pings of say 150 - 200. It would have to be an external modem and i was wondering i would be better off if i bought this modem as i don't know the modem i have is good or bad....

DIAMOND SUPRAEXPRESS 56e PRO EXTERNAL 56K V.90 VOICE / FAX / MODEM. BT approved. Hayes, group 3 and class 1 fax compatible. K56 Flex technology and V.90 compatible. Allows up to 115,200 BPS. Complete with internet bundle, fax/comms software and free starter guide. 5 Year Manufacturers Warranty. £64.99.

I'd be grateful if people would reply, Thanks.
Thu 02/08/01 at 23:40
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Another thing you MUST do is optimise your connection. This can help your ping alot.

Simply follow the guide at:
http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/ ConnectionFAQ/ ConnectionFAQ.htm
(remember to remove spaces)
I can relate to I have had the same problem :D
Thu 02/08/01 at 23:30
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Also it helps to get an isp. Freeserve is easily the worst (I got pings of 300 plus). BT Interent is slightly better. However I got claranet anytime 15 pounds a month and it's brilliant - I get pings of 150!!
(www.clara.net)
Special Reserve do you think you will ever do an anytime package?
Thu 02/08/01 at 18:04
If you can, forget a modem and get HS cable or at worst get ADSL after all modems will son be deemed legacy equipment. If you can't get HS cable or ADSL, then don't worry about 5 year warranty's as I modems will DEFIANTLY be outdated on 5 years.
Wed 01/08/01 at 01:56
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Flash does indeed rule and wees mightilly on all web media from a great height. It's a shame it's so hard to use!
Tue 31/07/01 at 23:41
Lol, talk about modems and u end up going on about dreameaver :). I am a confessed Flasher :o)
Flash Rulez!
Tue 31/07/01 at 02:26
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Wahey, 1st Page!

A great way to do websites is with Fireworks and Dreamweaver. DW, like nearly all web programs, is fairly usless. It's the least useless of them all, but is no substitute for a bit more time and an HTML editor like 1st Page. That's the best option.

However, combine DW with Fireworks and you're flying. Firework's main use is for image slicing. It's great at it, and it's even better at it if you're using Dreamweaver. Also, it's a great graphics proggy in itself but you can always import stuff.
Tue 31/07/01 at 00:18
Regular
"How Handy."
yeah, i'm currently getting to grips with dreamweaver and 1st Page and then I'll re-do that site.
Mon 30/07/01 at 16:18
Regular
"Tag as above"
Are you going to use something other than frontpage for designing your pages? I use it but you just can't shake that front pagey feel about it.

Get with homesite and netobjects fusion
Mon 30/07/01 at 01:43
Regular
"How Handy."
it's web design. i make the websites and a freind's dad sells them through his business. go to L2Productions.co.uk and click on the web design option on the menu. click on the animation and you'll load up my mini site.
Sun 29/07/01 at 17:27
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
What business you running at 15 years old then?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.