GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"sony are geting a game that they hope will be a halo beater"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 02/05/04 at 16:51
Regular
"object"
sony are terified of halo 2 cause poeple will buy xbox just so they can get halo 2, so sony are geting a game called killzone they hope it will be a halo beater ps 2 only
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:12
Regular
It may be decent - but come on, how many times have we heard 'Halo beater' only to be greeted by another above-average blaster? I'm sure the same was said about FireWarrior - even though it was good fun, it's no more than an average FPS.

What exactly does Killzone offer that every other FPS doesn't? I fail to see how I should get excited about a game just because it's been dubbed as a Halo beater - until I really see some substance I fail to see what it's trying to offer.

Halo wasn't the classic it's made out to be - but come on, there aren't many FPS's better than it at the moment, the most promising of which are far, far from release - Doom 3, Half Life 2, Geist.

The difference between those three and Killzone? They're trying to bring something to the FPS genre instead of just adding to it.
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:17
Regular
I've gotta laugh at the way you rank Geist alongside Doom 3 and Halflife 2.
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:18
Regular
Yeah, that's true.

Still, it's not impossible for it to surprise us all. We don't exactly have masses of information on it to draw proper conclusions.

When's it going to be released?
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:20
Regular
Like I said - it's an FPS that promises to be a little different to every other one on the market. It could be complete balls, but other than the concept we know very little about it - but from that concept it certainly sounds promising.
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:22
Regular
But Half Life 2 is easily going to be the FPS to watch out for. Even before it's released you just know its going to blow Halo 1 & 2 out of the water.

Perhaps we'll finally have an FPS worthy of being a Goldeneye beater, as I can certainly see myself playing it for some time if it has Live.
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:23
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> I've gotta laugh at the way you rank Geist alongside Doom 3 and
> Halflife 2.

To be honest, while Half-Life 2 looks to be leagues ahead of anything else, I'm looking forward to Geist a lot more than Doom 3.

Doom 3 strikes me as just an atmospheric/gun-everything-you-see FPS with demonic baddies. To put it simply, from what I've seen, it's boring. Geist excites me because it's from Nintendo. I want to see what they do with it. I want to see how this posession idea works, how it can be used to solve puzzles, etc. Information is scarce, but I can't say I'm not excited about it.
Mon 03/05/04 at 13:26
Regular
I love the Doom games, and an atmospheric blast-everything FPS is exactly what you should expect from them.

Co-Op on the GBA version a work of genius.
Wed 05/05/04 at 15:01
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Mav wrote:
> >
> To be honest, while Half-Life 2 looks to be leagues ahead of anything
> else, I'm looking forward to Geist a lot more than Doom 3.
>
> Doom 3 strikes me as just an atmospheric/gun-everything-you-see FPS
> with demonic baddies. To put it simply, from what I've seen, it's
> boring. Geist excites me because it's from Nintendo. I want to
> see what they do with it. I want to see how this posession idea
> works, how it can be used to solve puzzles, etc. Information is
> scarce, but I can't say I'm not excited about it.

Exactly. Half-Life 2 looks just stupidly stupdily incredible. Doom 3, graphics wise, is the same. Gameplay, it looks to be far inferior to Geist, which actually appears to have some invention put into it (and no 'Oh but it was on Messiah first blah) - Doom 3 looks gorgeous, and will probably be great fun. But Geist interests me far more.
Wed 05/05/04 at 15:11
Regular
How much have we actually seen of Geist?

A very early build that looked terrible, sure it might have a few good ideas but so far other than ideas, there's very little known about the game. If it wasn't being published by Nintendo you wouldn't give it a second look.

Don't give me that "but it's a Nintendo game". It's being made by n-space who made Reign of Fire which was sodding awful.
Wed 05/05/04 at 15:17
Regular
"gsybe you!"
N-Space didn't make Reign of Fire, they made Mary Kate & Ashley, so get your facts straight! I think.. Still, Nintendo are watching over it.

And no, please look at Doom 3 and Geist next to each other. True, one is from an established developer, looks (aesthetically) just god-like, and will probably be great. The other is a bit of an unknown, but to me and Mav it seems, it's far more interesting, because it appears to have something interesting in it rather than a traditional run and gun FPS, no matter how good looking and atmospheric Doom 3 is. E3 will say more...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.