GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Trailers"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/07/01 at 19:12
Regular
A trailer is an important part of a film’s marketing. Trailers are designed to make the public aware of a film’s existence and also to promote the film as widely as possible. This will raise the chances of the film’s success, therefore increasing the profits to the movie studio.

Trailers are usually about two minutes long. During this short space of time, the trailer must give an idea of what the film is about, show the genre, tell the audience whether or not there are any big stars in it or a popular director and lastly, show what visual style the film will take. If all this is included in that short space of time then the audience will have a good idea whether or not it is a film that will appeal to them.

Another thing that should be taken into account is when to show the trailer. There is no use putting on the trailer to a ‘U’ rated animated Disney film like ‘The Emperors New Groove’, before an ‘18’ rated horror film like ‘Ring’. It would be much better to put the trailer on before a similar film is about to start. That way, the target audience will be the ones who see it rather than people who are not likely to be interested in that particular genre.

Different shots are used different types of trailers which relates to that particular genre. Jump shots for example, are used a lot in trailers for fast paced, action films since they giver a sense of speed and action. Mixed shots and fade shots on the other hand are used much more in the trailers for romantic films. They are much slower than jump shots and are therefore much more suited to the genre.

There are two different types of trailers. There are teaser trailers that are released a long time before the film is due out in the cinemas. These ‘teasers’ are1 very short and their job is just to give a small taster of what to expect from that particular film. They give a very sketchy release date and usually pose questions about the film, which will only be answered when either the film or full trailer is released. This is the second type of trailer, the full trailer. These are much longer than teaser trailers and give a much more specific release date for the film as they are released very soon before the film itself comes out in the cinemas. Since these trailers are much longer, more can be fit in. The genre of the film is expressed to the audience by what is in the trailer. The actors will be written on screen, either in the small text at the end of the trailer or, if the stars are well known, then they will usually be written during the trailer in large text so they are seen and instantly recognized. (If there is a voice over, then the stars names will usually be spoken aloud.) The basic plot outline is usually told as well although not always.

Imagine if there were no movie trailers. How would we ever get to know about new films if trailers did not exist? We would never get to see films which did not have a lot of hype like Memento for example. Quality film, but would you have seen it were it not for the trailer you saw? So you see, trailers are vital but we don't see just how important they really are. Without them, we would never see some great films (and probably never see some poorer ones either).
Sat 21/07/01 at 16:22
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
I barely ever watch trailers as increasingly they simply condence the film into 45 seconds (that Freddie Prince Jr/Mellisa Joan Heart film I can't remember the name of - not the most suprising of plots, but the trailer spelled out the ENTIRE film, including the final scenes). Other than that they tend to only be for the bigger films anyway - don't agree with the comments about them attracting your attentions to smaller films at all. I caught Memento in the cinema because I'd read very good reviews of it and had managed to hunt out a cinema actually showing it, not because I;d ever seen a trailer.

Also, as adverts, trailers aren't ever going to show you what a film is really like. I would never ever ever ever go to a film soely because of a good trailer. Never.

Best trailer of receint memory is undoubtedly Magnolia's. Sheer class. The internet trailer for Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back also has a suprisingly high number of laughs for a 60 second snippit.

At the risk of sounding like a patronizing old fool - do you not think you are simplyfing thing to a rediculous level with the jump cuts bit?
Sat 21/07/01 at 13:21
Regular
I have only just seen the "Jurassic Park 3" trailer, and itis excellant.
Sat 21/07/01 at 09:43
Regular
The_Vottanator this is a great topic, dont let idiots spoil what you have opinions about.
Wed 18/07/01 at 17:26
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Goatboy, it was part of my media coursework in English. Just the intro. I thought it might make quite an..... errrm.....interesting....... topic.

:)
Wed 18/07/01 at 17:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
hehe
Wed 18/07/01 at 16:58
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Goatboy wrote:
> Please collect Filmaday at "attempt a bit
> [email protected]"

:-)
Wed 18/07/01 at 16:58
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Your Honour wrote:
> Meka! Thats just what I was thinking!

What happens when he's on
> holiday? No more trailers.

What happens when he's off sick? No
> more trailers.

The guy used to be a train driver in London I think. His name is Red or something.
Wed 18/07/01 at 10:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Please collect Filmaday at "attempt a bit [email protected]"
Wed 18/07/01 at 10:21
Regular
Meka! Thats just what I was thinking!

What happens when he's on holiday? No more trailers.

What happens when he's off sick? No more trailers.
Wed 18/07/01 at 10:07
Regular
"not dead"
What I'd like to know is how one man can have time to do all of those trailers! The voiceovers are always in the same voice! And it's so gruff, and deep, surely he must be forever hoarse?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.