GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Where will gaming be in say 100 years time??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/07/01 at 12:16
Regular
I just wondered with the PSOne at 32 bits and the N64 at 64 bit and the Dreamcast and Playstaion 2 at 120 bit, I wondered what will happen in a 100 years time (I certainly won't be around to see it anyway!!) what gaming will be like. It will probably be amazing with graphics to die for.

What do you guys think?

Will gaming be better than now or could gaming go downhill. It is weird to think about it but what do you lot think?

Alos, how much do you reckon the systems will cost if the PS2 is 120 bit and £300, what if the graphics are 10 times better than the PS2. They could charge a bomb and still sell loads?

Anyone have an opinion?
Tue 17/07/01 at 14:01
They're coming I tell you, rats and mice will take over the world. We're doomed you hear me doomed. Just wait in 100 years time you'll be lucky if your playing video games at all, you shouldn't care what standard they will be up to. You just wait and see who is wright, the world will belong to them.

*Stick backs away from his PC screen looking scared before his mother sneaks up on him from behind. Before he sees his mother she manages to get him into his straight jacket and throw him into his padded room. Stick backs off into the darkest corner of the room where he sits trying to chew away at the jacket to get free from its hold on him. In his eyes you can see the fear as if he knows someone is out there and they're coming for him.*
Tue 17/07/01 at 13:53
Regular
"How Handy."
I was bored yesterday so I decided to play GT2 on my PSX. God those graphics are crap. I've not touched the games for about 6 months, I've just been playing on my PC, it ain't that powerful at the mo, but it still runs 10 times better than my psx.
Tue 17/07/01 at 13:49
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Wonderboy wrote:
> But what do you actually mean but 'muddy' graphics?

I really
> cannot see how graphics could look 'muddy'?

I think Turbonutter can explain the techie details of it, but basically if you put a Sony PSX and an N64 together with two TV screens and two games running, you'll notice the following in a lot of cases:

N64: The colors merge, producing a blurring/hazy effect during high speed action sequences, or in some cases just be scrolling the screen. This is what is termed muddy graphics, which has something to do with anti-aliasing or something. Some people don't like that kind of graphical presentation and I'm one of them. Others DO like it and don't have a prolem with it.

PSX: You can get jaggy edges instead of straight ones, making edges seem 'jagged' or in really bad examples 'not joined up' altogether. Same as above, some hate it and others can ignore it.

It should be noted that muddy graphics and jaggies are not prevalent in ALL games, it's just that those two consoles are notorious for those two specific problems. Pop-up of backgrounds is common on both, SEGA managed to get rid of popups by using fogging effects, Skies of Aracdia is a good example for this, where you are given the impression that you can actually see to the horizon of a planet that you are flying over without trees or walls or buildings suddenly 'popping up' out of nowhere as you move around.

But then Sega have 128-bit power to play with.

So do Sony now with the PS2, but still you'll notice jaggies. I played on an import copy of GT3 in town yesterday, and although the graphics are quite breathtaking when you first see them, you do still notice the jagged edges at certain points. (Hate to say it, but the gameplay seems just the same as GT2 as well, you wouldn't really know the difference except for the graphical enhancements.) However, I also saw a copy of a rugby game running on another PS2, and that was so lifelike you would swear that you were watching a live match on television, so Sony certainly can get rid of jaggies with the PS2, it's just a case of whether or not the developers will put the time effort into doing so.

With the release of the Gamecube, we should see muddy graphics problems banished forever, but as with Sony there will always be rushed games that still contain the same old engines producing the same old problems. However, muddy graphics shouldn't be one of them as the Gamecube certainly has the power to banish them forever.
Tue 17/07/01 at 13:36
But what do you actually mean but 'muddy' graphics?

I really cannot see how graphics could look 'muddy'?
Tue 17/07/01 at 13:34
Regular
Whoooo Style! wrote:
> He has glasses, that is his problem, they have mud on them.
> Everything is muddy to him.

Spot on. And in reply to Wonderboy, not EVERY post of mine has the phrase 'muddy graphics' in it, only the 'poke fun at Nintendo fan' ones that I do once a day, for fun, to poke fun at Nintendo fans.

Next week I'll be discussing jaggies on the Sony PS2, and the week after that I'm doing a piece on Sega Marketing Department's recent day out to see what the world looks like, and for August I have planned a few pieces on Bill Gates and his quest for a Mario trademark licence.

Stay tuned, because it's all for fun :-)
Tue 17/07/01 at 13:16
Regular
"How Handy."
He has glasses, that is his problem, they have mud on them. Everything is muddy to him.
Tue 17/07/01 at 13:15
Now I don't know a great deal about the future, but I really don't think I'll be around to comment on gaming in 100 years time! Or will I? Advances in modern medicine have lead to average life expectancy rising sharply in the developed world, so we'll see!!!

But why oh why does this FantasyMister have an obssession with 'muddy graphics?' Every post of read of his contains this phrase.

Does the man need glasses?
Tue 17/07/01 at 13:14
Regular
"How Handy."
lol
Tue 17/07/01 at 13:08
Regular
*FM stares into his crystal ball....*

By the year 2101 Manchester will have ADSL.
By the year 2101 Wales will have its first telephone box.
Tue 17/07/01 at 13:07
Regular
"How Handy."
No. Manchester actually. BT keep telling me it's available but it's not. I have asked.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.