GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Getaway"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Getaway'.
Sat 08/05/04 at 09:24
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
I am getting really really annoyed with 'The Getaway' and have recently considered selling it. The reason is, well, it's just too damn realistic.
I didn't expect it to have big rocket lauchers and guns like that and I'm not bothered with that. I am just saying that it is too realistic, it is meant to be a game. It is very annoying when you don't know how much health you have and unless you are a highly trained doctor you don't know if you are going to die running into the cafe shooting everyone or if you will you survive. Another thing that really annoys me is when you try and steal a car and you get ran over and you die. That is no fun. In Grand Theft Auto games, getting ran over by a car does about 30 damage to you and that is only about a third of your life. When you get hurt, you walk with a limp. Some people will love the realism but I hate running away (or walking rather) when you have a limp. You almost always die. Another thing that I don't understand is the way to regain health. If it is so realistic then my don't you put on bandages or something. Leaning against a wall doesn't make you recover in real life. I really do hope that The Getaway 2 focuses on the fun side rather than the realistic side.

Discuss.
Sun 09/05/04 at 12:18
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Wakka wrote:
>The Getaway has all the official crap but Grand Theft Auto has the Gameplay.

Yea I'd agree with that as I find GTA much more fun, and that's what games are all about. The Getaway wasn't too bad but the controls and dodgy camera angles really let it down. No offence to people living in London, but I found driving around the streets of London very very dull and boring, especially when compared to somewhere like Miami.

However saying that, I do have a good feeling about G2 as it looks like it's going to really improve the series, it looks like it'll play much faster and going by the screenshots it seems as though there could be fixed cameras, offering the best view of all the action. It just looks like a much smoother game to me.

Oh and Wakka, I was just winding you up last night.

;)
Sun 09/05/04 at 12:20
Regular
Lou Role wrote:
> Oh and Wakka, I was just winding you up last night.

Yeah.

It was all just a bit of a laugh really. Nothing malicious.

;)
Sun 09/05/04 at 12:22
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
I know. ;-)

I agree about London aswell. America is much better than Britain for coolness and stuff.
Sun 09/05/04 at 13:41
Regular
I don't know...

I mean, America's fine and all that but London's... London. It's our home town. It's got districts, seedy gangster organisations, the underground. I think it could have perhaps been done better.
Sun 09/05/04 at 14:09
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
Mav wrote:

> It's our home town.

It's not mine.
Sun 09/05/04 at 14:13
Regular
Well it should be.
Sun 09/05/04 at 14:21
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
Glasgow Forever! London For never!

Or something. . . . .
Sun 09/05/04 at 14:25
Regular
"Darn it!!!!!!™"
What The Getaway all about??
Sun 09/05/04 at 14:41
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
It's like Grand Theft Auto, minus the fun.
Sun 09/05/04 at 14:49
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
The Getaway was a pretty weak attempt at a game. It was pretty rigid and uncreative. There was no value in completing the game because the free roaming mode was pointless. They spent so much time on getting London looking right that the gameplay and the fun factor disappeared.

The only thing that was any good was the guys couldn't carry around endless supplies of guns, although the computer controlled characters seemed to have an endless supply of bullets and I hate that.

Anyway, disappointing game and needs a major overhaul if The Getaway 2 is going to worth spending £30 on it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.