GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Many Mad Machiavellian Monkeys Monopolise Multi-Player Madness"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/07/01 at 10:38
Regular
Be warned...

I’ve got a couple of ideas going on here...

And I managed to grab about three hours sleep last night...

So this post may very well go horribly, horribly wrong...

Anyway ... :)

-----

Multiplayers are the big thing at the moment... they've been the big thing for quite a while, but I think were only really just beginning to see where things are going...

On consoles, games reviewers often consider the longevity of a game, to be based on its multiplayer options... I've actually read reviews where single player titles have been marked down because there was not multiplayer option to provide longevity...

Its gotten to the point now where developers have to give reasons for not including some sort of multiplayer element in a game...

-----

The next direction for this is for the consoles to move to the internet for multiplayer action... now, okay, this statement is getting on to being about a year out of date, but I gonna develop it a bit (hopefully :) )...

I’ve read a lot of arguments where people pitched the PC's Internet multiplayer games vs. the consoles on screen multiplayer... P

People saying that the PC's multiplayer allows a person to fight any umber of people at any time, and to not have to half/quarter the screen size to do so...

Whereas console peeps claim that playing against someone else, in another house, county, country, etc... Even if you know them, can never be as fun as competing against someone who is in the same room... especially when you've won and you can REALLY ram it down their throats (okay, that last bit I added, but you get the point... a quick blast of Mario Kart, or whatever, when you get back from the pub with your mates, has got to be more fun than going online?)

These arguments are all fair and good... but with the consoles rapid movement onto the internet multiplayer scene the surely argument will soon become mute... and (for the developers, not the players) the multiplayer options wars in games will hot up again...

At the moment most games offer either Internet multiplayer, or split-screen multiplayer... but soon most games should offer both (options to play over the net, or with a few of your mates around the machine) and both (a few of your mates around a machine fighting with people over the internet)

-----

Point is... multiplayer has long since moved from being an optional extra, to being more often than not the reason for the purchase...

-----

I've stuck with consoles over PC's for a reason

And it may be that my point is more worthy of being about the GBA?

----

Because what I'm wondering is, what single player titles, do you wish would have multiplayer options?

(Actually it’s quite hard to think of one that doesn’t already include multiplayer, or hasn’t had a multiplayer version released:) )

Maybe Elite on the net? Trading and fighting with millions of other players?

Commandos to include team play RTS?

----

And what titles with multiplayer options would you like enhanced?

Would you want a WWF title with 10 to 20+ fighters on screen at once?

Would you want to play Streets of Rage over the net?

(What games would you like to be converted into multiplayer?)

-----

Also... Do you think single players games are going to suffer in the long run?

I'm not saying for a minute that single player titles will be wiped out...

But do you think they are going to take a back seat to multiplayer options... Being used more for training than as the focal point for game play?

Not just for death match style multiplayers, but for on-line RPG's, etc... In fact any/all any multiplayer titles?

-----

Just wondered? :)
Fri 20/07/01 at 12:23
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Your Honour wrote:

I want to get Tribes2 but I can't afford it at the
> moment, I'll have to wait a bit.

Cheeky blag! :)
Fri 20/07/01 at 12:07
Regular
I haven't played it either, I've played a demo of 1 and read a review of 2.

1 is difficult to use controls, you have a rocket pack thing on your back so you can jump around and kind of fly for a bit. It's difficult to get used to.

2 is supposed to be better, and apparently there are some newbie only serves to log into to get used to it.

I want to get Tribes2 but I can't afford it at the moment, I'll have to wait a bit.

:-(
Fri 20/07/01 at 12:05
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Your Honour wrote:
I see them going along the lines of PlanetSide. Damn that
> game looks good!

yeah... its a title thats nudging itself into my must-have list...

It's like Tribes2, but with a couple of hundred
> people per map instead of 32.

Whats Tribes2 like? I've heard a lot of good stuff... but never seen it played ... Is too late for a newbie now?
Fri 20/07/01 at 11:28
Regular
Armitage Shanks wrote:
Where do you see multiplayer titles
> developing in the future? What direstion do you see them moving in?

I see them going along the lines of PlanetSide. Damn that game looks good!

It's like Tribes2, but with a couple of hundred people per map instead of 32.

Yuo can control any vehicles you like, go where ever you want etc.

Basically it's going to take the team based MMOFPS (massivley multiplay online FPS) genre to new heights.

Unfortunately it's not out 'til at least early next year, I think.
Fri 20/07/01 at 11:22
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
cookie monster wrote:
> LAG ruins every UT game i play online. I have only played about 3
> times on the net, and when i compared my ping to everyone elses, it
> was way huge, my ping was around 1437 and i was lucky if my
> character covered about 2 metres of ground in the whole 5 mins that
> i stayed connected.

Although, hopefull, at somepoint this century, broadband, cable access will become standard....

(however, by then, online games will so much more complicated, and be asking for so much data, that we'll still have lag because we'll be needing an even bigger bandwidth! :) )

Where do you see multiplayer titles developing in the future? What direstion do you see them moving in?
Fri 20/07/01 at 01:42
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
LAG ruins every UT game i play online. I have only played about 3 times on the net, and when i compared my ping to everyone elses, it was way huge, my ping was around 1437 and i was lucky if my character covered about 2 metres of ground in the whole 5 mins that i stayed connected.
Thu 19/07/01 at 20:14
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
gronti_v wrote:
Another
> online game that looks good by the way is Star Wars Galaxies. I
> think it's a role playing sort of game, which is inteded to expand
> into different aspects of the universe including space travel and so
> space combat. Who could refuse an online community in the Star Wars
> universe eh?

It is looking pretty nice... A guarenteed purchase I reckon?

Although, with Lucas Arts seemingly churning out Star Wars only titles...

I wonder if you worked there whether you would just get to the point where you wanted to destroy anything to do with Star Wars?
Wed 18/07/01 at 12:57
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
gronti_v wrote:
> Just imagine a 30 man (or woman) wrestling match played over the
> internet on ADSL connections. It would be impossible to change
> target to the right person except by sheer luck! Plus they probably
> wouldn't fit in the ring. And what happens if they go backstage in
> WWF No Mercy style? Oh yes of course they have their own screens so
> they wouldn't have to all go backstage. Infact that would be quite
> good having different fights going on all over. Just imaging how
> many referees would be needed though. I doubt that the speed would
> be very good anyway.

You could have on-line tournaments...

See who the best wrestler is?

Or maybe, an enourmouse free for all wrestling/matrial arts/street fighting game? :)
Tue 17/07/01 at 22:07
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Lag is a big problem at the moment, and until everyone has cable connections (which I’m not paying for) lag will always be there. One person who has Cable or above can be a really crap player but would win because everyone else has lag problems. Some of the best players have still not been revealed because of lag. That person who always comes last on the scoreboard on Quake 3 might be the best player you have ever seen in your whole life! But due to lag he/she has been labelled rear end material ;-p
Also I feel more comfortable in my room with a few mates playing Perfect Dark than playing against people on the internet, I have played people on the internet and I cant say that I didn’t enjoy it but stopped playing due big fat Lag.

I wish that I could come face to face with lag because I would really like to exert my anger on it. If you think about it lag is an evil uncontrollable force that plagues 56kb and under modems. You have to get a super weapon (Cable or above) to beat it away, which costs money that I cant be bothered to pay out.
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:07
Argh, that blasted PC Zone. I used to get both PC Zone and PC Gamer, but PC Zone became to offensive and agressive and lost much of it's sense of humour. It also got far to obsessed about Quake. Since then I spit when I hear it's name or see a copy. Well not literally, but still. Maybe they are better now, I don't know. I haven't got the new PC Gamer yet, must remember to do that, there was a bit about E3 in the last issue but it didn't go into detail. They were maybe saving it all up for the new issue.

Another online game that looks good by the way is Star Wars Galaxies. I think it's a role playing sort of game, which is inteded to expand into different aspects of the universe including space travel and so space combat. Who could refuse an online community in the Star Wars universe eh?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.