GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Manhunt...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Manhunt'.
Sun 09/05/04 at 12:05
Regular
This game rocks!

Started playing it last night and I'm really enjoying myself. Excellent little game kinda Running Man meets Splinter Cell...sort of.

Love the atmosphere and the whole violent, dark and nasty feel to the game. The enemies are excellent and in some cases very funny/scary. One excellent moment was when I was running away from a hood (gang member with a kind hood thing on suprisingly) I went to hide in the shadows, now usually they can't see you if you go in the dark areas a little like Splinter Cell, so I'm standing there thinking he won't be able to find me, he walks up slowly, looks straight at me and yells "You think I'm stupid mother f--ker, you're gonna die now" as he lunges at me with a crowbar, I cacked myself. The game really is like nothing I've played before in terms of content, nothing like having a hillbilly type person shout "White power" just before you plunge your crowbar into his shiny skull (the sound it makes get me every time *cringes*).

Really is a disturbing and original take on stealth games. If you're bored of sneaking around in the shadows of Splinter Cell and shooting someone every 10 minutes then I really recommend you give this one a go, it won't be for everyone what with the large amount of swearage and some of the most grissly violence I've seen this side of a snuff movie.

5 thumbs up from me Rockstar.
Sun 09/05/04 at 12:05
Regular
This game rocks!

Started playing it last night and I'm really enjoying myself. Excellent little game kinda Running Man meets Splinter Cell...sort of.

Love the atmosphere and the whole violent, dark and nasty feel to the game. The enemies are excellent and in some cases very funny/scary. One excellent moment was when I was running away from a hood (gang member with a kind hood thing on suprisingly) I went to hide in the shadows, now usually they can't see you if you go in the dark areas a little like Splinter Cell, so I'm standing there thinking he won't be able to find me, he walks up slowly, looks straight at me and yells "You think I'm stupid mother f--ker, you're gonna die now" as he lunges at me with a crowbar, I cacked myself. The game really is like nothing I've played before in terms of content, nothing like having a hillbilly type person shout "White power" just before you plunge your crowbar into his shiny skull (the sound it makes get me every time *cringes*).

Really is a disturbing and original take on stealth games. If you're bored of sneaking around in the shadows of Splinter Cell and shooting someone every 10 minutes then I really recommend you give this one a go, it won't be for everyone what with the large amount of swearage and some of the most grissly violence I've seen this side of a snuff movie.

5 thumbs up from me Rockstar.
Sun 09/05/04 at 12:16
Regular
Really didn't like it myself - I thought it was just one of those crappy mass-market games that mask their lack of substance with gore and swearing. Grew tired of the repetitive gameplay very quickly and, having been told it was like the Running Man, was disappointed when I found out it lacked the variation and style of the film.

But hey, it's nice to see that you're getting so much enjoyment out of it.
Sun 09/05/04 at 12:17
Regular
Tis excellent. Really looking forward to a sequel if they decide to do so. Where abouts are you?

Have you done the crane section yet where they send out a team oh highly trained Swat guys to hunt you down?
Sun 09/05/04 at 13:00
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
I didn't really like Manhunt, but to be fair I probably didn't give it much of a chance, I got to the fourth level or something then I just got bored of it. Everyone says it gets better once you start to get guns and stuff, but I just couldn't be bothered working my way through it to get to those stages.
Sun 09/05/04 at 13:04
Regular
"Cogito, Ergo Doleo."
Sounds interesting.

I usually enjoy playing stealthy espionage-type games, so i'll give this a try next time I have an opportunity.
If it's anything like Splinter Cell, I must rush out and get it straight away!

Rockstars games are a mixed bag, with the excellent GTA series to the mediocre Midnight Club 2. Hopefully they've done themselves justice here :).
Sun 09/05/04 at 13:04
Regular
To be honest I could imagine it getting less involving when you get your hands on some of the beastier guns. I love all the running around hiding, then jumping out of the shadows and plucking someones eyes out their skull with a well aimed knife to the brain tissue.

I've only played for a little while, so far I'm on the I think the 4th level. White trash it's called, just killed the guy taking a dump in the caravan and taken his nail gun, then I stupidly decided to run around th level and get everyone chasing me, I got trapped in a corner and needless to say they all kicked the crap out of me.
Sun 09/05/04 at 13:07
Regular
SBB wrote:

> If it's anything like Splinter Cell, I must rush out and get it
> straight away!

The stealthy elements are like Splinter Cell, but the actual storyline and setting is the total opposite. The fact that you're supposed to kill everyone in the level in the most violent and graphic way possible is some indicator that it's certainly not straight forward hide and sneak.
Sun 09/05/04 at 13:08
Regular
"Cogito, Ergo Doleo."
Yeah, it could get less challenging and more of a gun-ho akimbo firefight. Sneaking up on people is what makes these games fun and interesting to play, and just picking people off from the distance is not very interesting, and can become quite boring, especially if you have a 6 foot sniper and they have a pistol.
Sun 09/05/04 at 13:10
Regular
"Cogito, Ergo Doleo."
Tiltawhirl wrote:

> The stealthy elements are like Splinter Cell, but the actual
> storyline and setting is the total opposite. The fact that you're
> supposed to kill everyone in the level in the most violent and
> graphic way possible is some indicator that it's certainly not
> straight forward hide and sneak.

Sounds a strange mix... I think i'll have to play it to see what you mean.
Sun 09/05/04 at 13:19
Regular
The set-up basically is that you're dropped into the different cities by some sicko guy who's filming a snuff video. The only way to escape is by killing the gangs that patrol the cities, the thing is though you're obviously outnumbered and the gangs are a lot better armed than you are. You have to knock them off one by one with plastic bags, glass shards and other disturbing implements, then the film maker rates you on how brutal the kills are (believe me, there's some really sick deaths). Obviously walking up to them and trying to stab them won't work as these fools will just straight out beat the hell out of you, so you have to use the shadows and confuse them then once their back is turned you can go in for the kill.

The AI's excellent, they really hunt you down, they don't just patrol certain areas they'll chase you across the whole level and then some if they need too. It's a very different game style, but it works really well.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.