GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PC Bows Out of the Console Market - Exclusive"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/07/01 at 02:16
Regular
Researchers* today discovered that the humble Personal Computer could soon go the way of Sega, and bow out of the console market altogether. Recent analysis of the retail prices for the top 10 games produced some disturbing results.

For example, out of the top 7 major formats (PC, PS2, PSX, N64, GBA, GB and DC), it was understandable that the top 10 Dreamcast games came in at a total price of half that of the top 10 N64 games.

What WAS surprising is that fact that there was only £3 difference (an average of only 30 pence per game) between the top 10 PS2 games and the 10 ten N64 games.

Analysts** believe that this could be indicative of a price fixing cartel between Nintendo and Sony to drive the others out of the marketplace.

Those figures in full:

Total RRP for top 10 games:

N64 £358.90
PS2 £355.90
GBA £275.91
GBC £259.90
PSX £202.90
PCs £207.90
DCs £185.90

PC developers were asked for their opinions on these figures. One of them*** said:

"Well, it certainly looks like you get more bang for the buck by developing for Nintendo at the moment, just look at it! 3 out 4 of the most expensive formats are all Nintendo! There must be some money floating about there!! I certainly see no point at all in developing for the PC anymore!!! Where can I buy a DC by the way?"

Footnotes:

* FM
** FM
*** FM
Wed 18/07/01 at 01:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
GasMask wrote:
> er-yes wrote:
> That doesn't change the fact that PC's are
> crap!

> what are you writing you messages on? can I hear the words
> personal computer??? Decisive

NO! ER-YES HAS A MAC G4! MWHAAA HAA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!
Wed 18/07/01 at 01:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I never play games on my PC. It's far too expensive. To get decent graphics you need to spend £150+ and you can get a DC for that.
Tue 17/07/01 at 22:09
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
er-yes wrote:
> That doesn't change the fact that PC's are crap!

what are you writing you messages on? can I hear the words personal computer??? Decisive
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:26
"High polygon count"
er-yes wrote:

PC's aren't necessarily crap. The internal architecture is very dated, but it's usuall that dodgy OS that causes all the problems! :-)
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:25
"High polygon count"
gronti_v wrote:
> Is the Gamecube being sold at a loss too do you think?

Considering what it has probably cost to develop, I'd expect so - though maybe not on the same scale as some other machines.
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:18
Regular
er-yes wrote:

PC's aren't crap, the hardware is fine, it's just that some people obviously don't know how to use the software properly......
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:16
Regular
"gsybe you!"
How may I ask, did you get to that conclusion?
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:15
Regular
"Rendering Women."
That doesn't change the fact that PC's are crap!
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:02
I think Microsoft do intend to charge for a release by another company on their machine, I'm sure I read that somewhere. Unless they changed their mind of course.
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:00
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
The same developers develop for the consoles as for the
> PC, so competition is not an issue.

That depends what console you are looking at and there are more developers than you may expect and many develop only for the PC (there are also those that develop only for a console but probably not as many). Presumably you mean the larger developing companies spread across different formats and this is true.

Good point about the licence fee, that's probably also the main cause of a difference in cost between a console and equivalent powered PC. Well, of course the PC is also a multi-purpose machine so I guess that's a factor, as well as upgradeability perhaps and probably some other things. Infact it makes you wonder if console manufacturers need to charge as much as they do for their consoles even with their low profit margin. It's not like someone buys a console and gets only one or two games. Why don't they just give them away for free anyway? Then they would be sure that a lot of people could use them and would want to buy games for them. Well okay not free but at least at a loss in the hopes to recoup that loss and gain larger profits by making the console more accessible. Microsoft said they'd do this with the X-Box didn't they, so maybe it'll get into fashion. Is the Gamecube being sold at a loss too do you think?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.