GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Linux vs. Windows?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 09/05/04 at 12:58
Regular
"Cogito, Ergo Doleo."
This is for anyone who has ever thought of replacing their Windows and installing Linux.

Especially in the case of gamers, Linux isn't a replacement for Windows. Despite the facts some windows games can be made to run on Linux, (with WineX [URL]http://www.transgaming.com/[/URL]). Performance is worse than if you just ran the games normally on windows, and a lot of games will just refuse to run. You also have to pay a monthly subscription to transgaming to get this. Having said that, there are some quality games ported to linux, which work fine.

Linux is not easy to use. It's far from it. It takes a lot of effort and time to learn, but once learnt it is well worth it. If you're still having trouble with windows, steer clear ;).

However, the big bonus with Linux is in office, media,server and internet work. Beside the fact that is is free, there's a huge plethora of free software availiable with it. It's also much more reliable, and easily upgradeable, and customiseable. It's also much more secure and less prone to being hacked or exploited. Because it is open source, programs are patched and exploits are fixed by the community, rather than having to wait 3 weeks for the developer to release a patch.

All in all, the ideal setup would be 2 pcs. One more powerful with windows for your gaming, and the other for office, media and internet work. This probably isn't possible for many people, but you can dual boot windows and linux. If your main use is gaming, don't bother at all.

For people new to linux, I would recommend either Mandrake or SuSE linux. Both are free and can be downloaded from sites Mandrake: [URL]http://www.mandrakesoft.com/[/URL] SUSE: [URL]http://www.suse.com/uk/[/URL]

Hope this helps!
Ben 'SBB' Taylor
Fri 14/05/04 at 15:57
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
i don;t like linux myself, it just looks like prevouis versions of windows with more color and a few inprovments.

besides i am happy with windows xp pro :D

and linux has made its billions yet so GO microsoft :O
Fri 14/05/04 at 15:14
Regular
Command line doesn't bother me, I use a lot of it in Xp anyway so it doesn't matter. I prefer Windows though because the stuff I want is presented to me in a friendly way, much more so than under Linux. Take the documentation for commands in Linux. Using the text command, all I get is a load of techno gibberish - I mean, docs are there to help, not confuse you more.

Also, while many have said Linux is more stable, this isn't the case for me. I guess you have to spend a lot of time on Linux to get it to the way you want, and from then on it is better, more suited to you than XP - but with Windows, I only have to tweak a few settings and I'm content.

All the distros I've tried are more fiddly than Windows as well - I sometimes mess up when it comes to clicking a small button inbetween others, or drag and drop incorrectly - stuff like that - and in my opinion, Linux seems to punish you more for your mistakes.
Fri 14/05/04 at 13:45
Regular
Windows OS is alright except that it keeps on crashing and has lots of security holes

Linux is also good but it is very hard to learn (if you want to do something good in Linux oyu have to do it by command line)
Mon 10/05/04 at 12:07
Regular
I still prefer Windows over Linux, and that's after a year of Linux propraganda drummed into our heads. DirectX 4 eva!!!! ELITE!!!111
Mon 10/05/04 at 11:02
Regular
"bing bang bong"
monkey_man wrote:
> Who would you rather have building your operating systems and
> a company that pumps billions of pounds into research every year to ensure > compatibility ... standardisation

If there's one thing that Microsoft is definetly guilty of is non-conformation to standards.
Sun 09/05/04 at 15:22
Regular
No worries. ;o)
Sun 09/05/04 at 15:18
Regular
"Cogito, Ergo Doleo."
Yeah, I was reading over my other posts, and I was thinking about what you said. It was a little blunt :P
I'm not trying to be a troll :/
Sun 09/05/04 at 15:16
Regular
You've certainly changed your tune in just 2 posts.

Good boy. :o)
Sun 09/05/04 at 15:15
Regular
"Cogito, Ergo Doleo."
I never said that Linux is without fault. However, it is better in some situations. Windows is also good in other situations. It's choosing the right one that counts.
Sun 09/05/04 at 15:14
Regular
People who support the under-dog like you, no matter what, will always exist. It's good in some ways as everyone likes to see an under-god win in sport, but when it comes to slagging off a product simply for the sake of it then it becomes a little pointless.

Anyone with either common sense or experience can see right through it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.