GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can Nintendo make any portable games that aren't racing or platformers?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/07/01 at 22:02
Regular
Seems to me like all the gameboy formats featured a wide selection of racing and platform games but not a lot else! I understand that these games work well on the portable pal but wot I really wan2 c r sum good sports games! Can any1 name a decent football game on any of the gameboys??! Platformers and racing games don't hold my attention, wot I want from a game is varied action that u can only get from a sports sim!
Mon 16/07/01 at 22:35
Regular
"How Handy."
hmmmm,

Just thought I'd post this as I really need to post more if I want to get to 300 before stick, for it is my dream.

I think it is amazing the lack of genres available on hand helds, though. I think we should all buy laptops. Massive variety of games.
Mon 16/07/01 at 22:16
Regular
"Back For Good"
the gba games are pretty good,the GBC has nothing but flipping pokemon.
GBA has heart of darkness,silent hill (horror on a nintendo wow) super mario world is making a comeback. top stuff.
Mon 16/07/01 at 21:59
I woznt sayin there woz none i woz sayin that the amount and quality of non platform and non racin games just doesnt compare. I'm only really complainin coz I don't like racin and platformers and wot I really wan2 c is afootball managin game on the GBA. Who's with me on that!?
Mon 16/07/01 at 21:10
Ecks vs Sever, don't forget. Hmm, would have sounded better the other way round.
Mon 16/07/01 at 21:08
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
There is a first person shooter coming out on GBA and there are other games. Take Tony Hawks 2, Doom, Silent Hill, Ready to Rumble Boxing Round 2. These are all great games, but the majority of games are platformers and racing games, in time I hope they will bring out some good footy games and sport games.
Mon 16/07/01 at 18:45
Handheld consoles are never going to be as powerful as the latest range of "super powered" consoles. The Playstation 2 plays through a TV which is of a much bigger size than the GBA screen. Therefore games developers always are able to pack a lot into the PS2s games such as scenery and better characters where as handhelds are usually very basic. The GBA is as powerful as PSone and although the graphics are not yet the standared of PSone, they are still exceptionally good for a handheld.

The size of the screen means that the games player relies a lot more on the gameplay over the graphics. Some genres of games work well without the flashy graphics but others don't. You're never going to be able to play Timesplitters on the GBA because you need a big sight range to be able to see enemies and check the surroundings and you need some kind of big screen magnifier to do this. What games developers have done has made the console have its best features used and they have not brought out a 3D shoot em ups because they will not be very good for the GBA owner and they would not give you a very good experience. Games developers do want you to enjoy it you know.

Nintendo are using the GBA as a handheld pure and simply, they have made it to be used on the move and take on your holiday and play on the bus and at work/school etc.
If you want 3D shoot em ups then you will have to look for the Gamecube which is also from Nintendo to go hand in hand with GBA. Nintendo know the GBA does not fulfill the gamer with the latest FIFA or the stunning GT3 or the huge worlds of Mario 64 so they release a console as well. Handhelds are not the most powerful and they let you play instead of listening to your teachers drown on at school - can only be good!

For games - look at the list below.

Thanks Nintendo for providing a cheap console that means I do not have to listen to Mr Davids tell me equations at school no more and letting me enter the world of GBA instead. Then I go home and play on the PS2 suited games like Timesplitters and GT3 (soon...I can't wait!). I have the best of both worlds - you should try it - it's great fun!!
Mon 16/07/01 at 18:16
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Namely, Doom.
Mon 16/07/01 at 18:12
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
There are some First person shooting games coming out on the gba.
Mon 16/07/01 at 17:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
There's probably a FIFA game out.
Mon 16/07/01 at 12:45
Regular
pedro_goat wrote:
> Seems to me like all the gameboy formats featured a wide selection
> of racing and platform games but not a lot else! I understand that
> these games work well on the portable pal but wot I really wan2 c r
> sum good sports games! Can any1 name a decent football game on any
> of the gameboys??! Platformers and racing games don't hold my
> attention, wot I want from a game is varied action that u can only
> get from a sports sim!

Sorry, you'll have to wait a while for my answer while i try and decipher what you're actually saying. Off to the WWF forum, wish me luck....

Ok, now understand what you're saying. Here's my answer:

You won't much else on the GB or the GBC as it can't handle anything else. There are probably claculators availbe now that are more powerful the the GB.

But now the GBA is out we'll see different genres available for it. THPS2 and GT Advance show what can be done on the platform, so hopefully that future should look even better.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.