GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I hate memory cards !"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/07/01 at 15:38
Regular
We are all gonna have to suffer the rath of memory cards the most annoying thing about disc format consoles! The N64 ones are alright but I am sure I am not the onlyone to have suffered unexplained save file losses (especially on ISS!). The DC ones are particulary crap even though they look cool and beep the batteries last about 5 seconds and the amount of memory available on them is appalling (only one save file of Shenmue can be stored on each card!).
thats why in the main I love Nintendo as the battery save pak is reliable and you know your file is stored safely in the game pak. However I noticed that the GC only has 2 slots for memory cards so I wonder how exactly the new Perfect Dark will work when four people all want to load up their stats? IT's a mystery and will probably end up being a hassle of annoying copying and deleting which will only lead to accidents and hours of gaming proudness being lost in the process!

Comments please?
Thu 26/07/01 at 16:11
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Forgot to mention:
Several are terribly overpriced.
Thu 26/07/01 at 16:10
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I hate memory cards because:
There annoying
You HAVE to have one for some games to save
They fail too much
They don't have enough memory
Couldn't CD games consoles just have a blank bit on the CD and CD Rewrite the info onto the disc to save?
Thu 26/07/01 at 12:22
Another thing is that say you had to delete a game file because you cannot afford another Memory card but need the space for a new game, the chances are you would never want to play that game again! Generally to get all options either multiplayer or single you have to complete a game, surely if there was a back up file that was tiny in 'space' usage it could be there just to inform your game that you have taken the time to finish it and deserve full access to the game if you wish to come back to it.

Like Quake 3, I have finished it twice now but I keep having to delete the file for other new games and I lose all the multiplayer options I have worked hard for, I don't need the one player file, I don't care about that but I wish I could store the multiplayer info for when I come back for a Quake bash! I deserve to be able to load it up and have all the multi arenas don't I?

'Zip'-ing files would also be helpful, I don't mind strinking files (zipping) and not being able to use then unless another file is zipped in it's place but I don't think Nintendo will have this option.

The overall important point though is that we need more F-Zero X's, Crazy Taxi's and GoldenEYE's which are banged into the machine and are rewarding fun which require skill and practice but always draw you back! Adding these memory cards makes the whole process of going back to your old classics more fiddly and annoying when in general games are getting more fiddly and annoying! Look at Perfect Dark, the intro sequence and 'interactive' option screen is so clumbsy and slow compared to Golden Eye's plug in, play and selecting options quickly.

The console market in my opinion is turning us into PC people worrying about space, memory and file sizes rather than 'I want to kill that boss again', indeed the whole point of console gaming is being clouded by technical issues which previously the developers worried about!
Fri 20/07/01 at 21:12
Regular
So long as the memory cards don't continually wipe themselves (in the way that the freebies I've got from SR seem to do so :-D) then it's fine that there's cards.

The official ones tend to be reliable so here's hoping that the prices are good too.

There are advantages to having the memory on the game but I prefer to have larger games that the optical disk can allow.

And now I'll be able to loan my games knowing that they won't wipe my precious Goldeneye save file :-)
Fri 20/07/01 at 20:13
It does ?
Fri 20/07/01 at 17:05
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
owwww or another idea perhaps there will be some sort of adapter so you can fit 2 cards in one slot????
It works in thoery!!!
Fri 20/07/01 at 17:04
Regular
"ur kungfu is no goo"
or if the game cube has a better memory transfer then the n64, you could just load up everyones stats from one card how many people went round other peoples to play it anyway
Fri 20/07/01 at 14:36
maybe you just take one out and put in another during the game like in Turok Rage Wars.
Thu 19/07/01 at 16:14
first off my names 'Juz' not 'Jez' spoon! And yes your right about Shenmue it's just that every time I buy a new DC game I feel that I should have bought a new VMU. However MSR will not allow two MSR files on one VMU (or at least I cannot) which is really annoying. The Sega Saturn though was good as you spent £40 (yes I know its a lot) and it could save stacks as was a full size cart which plugged in the back. You lot still haven't answered the Perfect Dark question which is how can four friends all get together and load up their constantly up dating stats if there are only four slots!
Thu 19/07/01 at 13:14
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I have an unofficila N64 one - -I lose a save file every day!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.