GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"looking for a Soldier FPS multiplayer on one box"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/05/04 at 13:17
Regular
Hi,

does anyone know of a soldier FPS for the xbox with multiplayer capabilities on one xbox? I've looked at conflict desert storm II, swat... and they seem to only have multiplayer capability when networked/live.

Halo's excellent but sometimes i want more realism and less aliens running around.
Tue 18/05/04 at 22:32
Regular
It will be the same game engine though, just a different single player mode.
Tue 18/05/04 at 21:10
Regular
It's not the same game, don't you people read?
Tue 18/05/04 at 20:41
Regular
Call Of Duty is a PC game being ported to the consoles, it runs on an OpenGL Quake 3 engine, so should run absolutely no problem at all on an Xbox unless they balls up the conversion.

Getting Couterstrike for free for recommending my little brother signs up to Live, woohoo :D
Tue 18/05/04 at 19:33
Regular
But the guys behind this are made up of those who worked on Medal of Honor Frontline. Granted Call of Duty is far superior than any other Medal of Honor game but that is the PC version, Frontline was a crap rehash and bodge job clearly ripped from Allied Assault but it failed miserably. I can see this heading exactly the same way.
Tue 18/05/04 at 19:30
Regular
Yeah, but that's EA. They don't bother making use of better hardware and just release the watered down PS2 version on all consoles.

Judging from previews and videos of the game, I reckon it should be pretty damn good. Just have to wait and see.
Tue 18/05/04 at 19:23
Regular
It isn't the Call of Duty that appeared on PC, its a new game with a new story and considering it will be appearing on the PS2 at the same time it's got multi-format flop written all over it. Take Medal of Honor as an example.
Tue 18/05/04 at 19:11
Regular
If you're looking for future soldier games then you really are spoilt for choice on Xbox

Men of Valor
Full Spectrum Warrior
Shadow Ops : Red mercury
Shellshock : Nam '67
Conflict Vietnam
Black hawk Down
Brothers in arms
Call of Duty
Battlefield : Future War
Ghost Recon 2
Rainbow Six 3 : Black Arrow

Most of those look to be excellent games. Oh and Call of Duty looks excellent, previews from E3 say that it's looking to be a really good conversion of the PC game even though the majority of the levels have been built from scratch to cater for console hardware.
Tue 18/05/04 at 18:55
"I love yo... lamp."
Call Of Duty could be good. Don't write it off yet.

Which reminds me, Medal Of Honour. It is set in World War Two after all. Frontline has 4 person multiplayer. It was a decent game. For £20 not bad value.

Medal Of Honour: Rising Sun was pretty poor though, but also meets the criteria.

America's Army, Battlefield: Modern Combat and Delta Force: Black Hawk might all do as well.

I think Ghost Recon is pretty decent actually. What about counter strike? No aliens in that.
Mon 17/05/04 at 22:28
Regular
Though it doesn't match your criteria exactly, Full Spectrum Warrior looks like it's going to be amazing.

Oh, and isn't Master Chief a spartan?
Mon 17/05/04 at 16:54
Regular
The second will be excellent, as was the first. However if they think a PC game now priced at £4.99 will actually sell on Xbox with very little improvements they are obviously giving each other rectal coverage.

It was one of my most anticipated Xbox games but after waiting 2 and a half years I have finally given up, completed the PC version a while back and unless they can seriously implement some decent LIVE play they can go shuffle up a ducks genital flap, especially when they are releasing it as a full priced title.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.