GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The real war after E3: Reggie Vs. Dringo"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 16/05/04 at 19:34
Regular
So he thinks he can hype up Nintendo and insult the competiton better than me does he?

He thinks he can claim the brilliance of DS better than I can?

He thinks his speech was good? Damn he made David Gossan look good.

I tell you I should work in Nintendo PR.... ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You all agree? Right?
Wed 19/05/04 at 17:29
Regular
Who cares what techniques they used in Resi 4?

Fact is, it looks incredible and boasts the best console graphics of this generation.
Wed 19/05/04 at 09:14
Regular
I know what Reggie said...

He is no Dringo.
Wed 19/05/04 at 01:48
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Reggie will always rule. Why? Can you speak like this Dringo? [URL]http://www.cubed-3.co.uk/staff/tempo88/Reggie_Fils-Aime_Opening-Words.mp3[/URL]
Tue 18/05/04 at 22:41
Regular
Bonus you miss my point....

Graphics with Resident Evil 4 make me feel like there is no need for no other console at all.

Their doesn't need to be an Xenon or a Revolution.... a PS3 maybe but not with the specs they are discussing.

Graphics are beautiful now... sure they can get better but then they don't need to be. You are the only one to moan about Resident Evil 4's lighting... all I hear from gaming publications and reports on the videos is that the Graphics are unbelievable for a Gamecube title.

Nintendo and Microsoft openly stated that software is their future, not better graphics and hardware.
Tue 18/05/04 at 22:18
Regular
Graphics have not reached their maximum :D

Doom 3 on the PC and Half life 2 puts this to shame :D

Anyway, the light you've seen streaming throgh trees on Resi is a cheap on the hardware trick ;)

For the simple fact that it is a rendered alpha blended texture :D

When a games console can do that sort of thing in real time, then things start to get more interesting.

We can get into comparing the graphics of Xbox and Gamecube games if you like. I still would like to point out that I don't think that the graphics of Resi are bad, no where have I said that, I just feel they can be better. If you guys are insistent on bringing this down to a level where we are actually arguing over what games look better than anything else, we look at PC games, because the technology has advanced to a level where consoles just can't compete.

So, I'd like you to start actually looking at what I am saying, and stop looking to bring this down to a console specific fight. Resi 4 would be better with dynamic lighting effects (not cheap tricks), proper real time shadows (not grey blobs which have no relevence to any light source in the frame) and the atmosphere which those effects create.

The issue is whether that would be possible on the Gamecube with the level of detail already present in other parts of the renderer, but no where does that mean I am trying to slate what the game has already achieved in terms of its looks, or trying to compare it to what the Xbox can or can't do. A console can only do what the developer has the ability to program. I don't personally feel that the GC or the Xbox have been pushed to their limit, and regardless of whether the hardware can cope or not, Resi 4 would look better with the effects I have been trying to get you guys to think about.
Tue 18/05/04 at 22:01
Regular
Bonus graphic's work differently to Gameplay.... you have to have a reason why Gameplay is good... with Graphics they are either good or not.

I've seen several videos and I see lighting stream through trees, the lit tourches send shapes against the wall and shadows loom over the buildings as it moves from day to night.

Lighting bad? It's as good if not better than the original Resident Evil.

Yes the X-box can do better but then you don't need better graphics than this. Doom 3 and Resident Evil 4 prove to me that Graphics have reached their maximum.
Tue 18/05/04 at 21:29
Regular
Ok; the levels are very detailed. With animals running around and many foes attacking you. When you damage your enemies, they actually grabs the place they are hurt. The lighting system works fine and creates a good atmosphere. The characters are even better detailed than the previous installments of the franchise. And the whole world is made in 3D, not just the characters. Just look at the graphics, they are some of the best I have ever seen. But I can not know if it would be better on the xbox, since it is not in development for the xbox. I do not know much about explaining why the graphics are good, but I can say that RE4 has an impressive engine. You just know when something are great or not.
Come up with some exclusive xbox games that has better graphics than RE4.
Tue 18/05/04 at 19:26
Regular
leflus wrote:
> I think that the graphics of
> RE4 is way ahead of the majority of the xbox games.

Well, when you can think, and explain what makes you think this, I might consider coming back to talk to you. Fed up getting itno discussions with people who say, I think, no proof or structured arguement, but I think.

If you are capable of explaining why the graphics of RE4 are so good, then it might be worth talking about :D

I know why I think they are good, I also know why I think they could be a lot better.

I have never said the graphics were bad, just that they could be better, so tell me why that opinion is so difficult for people to take on board.

Then again, I'll alwyas think that the graphics of any game could be better, but I'll say this until I am blue in the face, RE4 would be a much more atmospheric game with a better lighting system.

If anyone wants to be constructivly critical of that statement, feel free to add an opinion.

Anyone just wanting to hit out with a "Bonus, you're wrong and nothing could ever look better comment", you will be wasting your time, I'll prove you wrong time and time again.
Tue 18/05/04 at 16:12
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> Then again, maybe
> Capcom should just make it for the Xbox, surely iD would give them a
> hand with some decent looking lighting and let Nintendo argue over
> which shade of pink is better suited to their next console.

Stupid jerk.... Capcom wants to earn some money in Japan too you mong! And when it comes to the graphics, I think that the graphics of RE4 is way ahead of the majority of the xbox games.
Tue 18/05/04 at 10:20
Regular
Dringo's response would be the same as Capcom's:

The level of detail on the scenery is almost identical to that of our pre-rendered games, the new 3D landscapes add a sense of reality to the situation and the character models are the best thing the Gamecube has ever seen.

If, which I doubt, you are correct about the lighting problem... especially as you're the only one to mention it... then i'd simply ignore it.

All my arguments, as blatenty nintified as they are, all have some basis I'm not some fanboy that just makes crap up.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.