GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PlayStation hits 100 million units!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/05/04 at 11:56
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
Sony's first console, that fantastic little grey machine, has now shipped 100 million units worldwide.
Arguably the biggest success story in the industry since Nintendo first released the NES, Sony's PlayStation revolutionised the gaming world. And now, thanks to 3.31 million sales in the year up to March 2004, they've now shipped a hundred million of the little beauties.

Since the release of the PSone, sales have been revived, despite the awesome success of the PS2. Speaking of which, there are now 70 million units of Darth Vader's Toaster knocking around, although the availability of coloured versions should probably knock that nickname on the head anytime now.

So while 100 million is very impressive, the PS2's numbers mean that it's inevitable that it will overtake its big brother sometime soon. Nintendo and Microsoft must be looking at those numbers with awe.

- Taken from http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/n_3086-news.html

I'd just like to say well done to Sony for creating such a wonderfully brilliant console that will surely be remembered for a long long time. Well done Sony! But I do think that if PS2 keep releasing top-quality games such as Pro Evo and GTA then it will surely overtake it's little brother in sales.
Sat 22/05/04 at 23:18
Regular
"forceful tendencies"
"bring down the console window" you do that by pressing tab or ~. Are you thinking about the PS2 version? you got PC cheats there, mate
Sat 22/05/04 at 22:42
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
HiTMaN187 wrote:
> can some1 help me with a cheat code i dont no what it means im
> talking about hitman contracts it says bing down the console and
> type(whatever it say)

I'll help you with your cheat once you help me understand that post. "Bing down the console" what?
Sat 22/05/04 at 22:36
Regular
No. using cheats spoils the games.
Sat 22/05/04 at 22:34
Regular
"HeLP Me plzz......"
can some1 help me with a cheat code i dont no what it means im talking about hitman contracts it says bing down the console and type(whatever it say)
Sat 22/05/04 at 17:52
Regular
Mav wrote:
> Silent Death wrote:
> Hey does anyone know that this makes the ps1 the top selling games
> console in history ?
>
> I'm not sure.
>
> I think the NES was the best selling games console in history, but I
> may be wrong or confused with something else. However, I do know for
> sure that if you count every Game Boy incarnation as one then that by
> far outsells the PS1.
Last year the gameboy was the best selling games console ever but after sony's announcement it bacame the ps1.
Sat 22/05/04 at 17:09
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Mav wrote:
> It was compact and accessable, and had a massive range of games to
> complement the triumph that was the hardware. It saw the birth of the
> GTA, Gran Turismo, Driver, Tony Hawk's and countless other series.

I still remember playing those old games for the first time, it was brilliant and provided some of my most memorable gaming moments. Games like Destruction Derby, Ridge Racer, Tekken, Crash Bandicoot, Gran Turismo and Driver were fantastic. I may actually have to look into either buying their modern day sequels, or actually buying those games again

> It opened up gaming to the masses, but in doing so inadvertently spawned > a race of casual gamers that keep the crappy cash-ins and yearly sequels
> coming.

And I think this is the PS2's main problem; casual gamers. As you say they buy all the crappy titles because they have no idea what a great game is. They'll buy all the movie tie-ins, and stuff like NFSU. So like you say we just get the same thing over and over, so there isn't any innovation in PS2 titles anymore which is a shame really.

When you think about it; it may not be such a bad thing that the GC and X-Box aren't as popular as the PS2, because they may end up going the same way if they grow in popularity and then where would we be? Stuck with crappy games aimed at casual gamers, with absolutely nothing original or interesting being created for more dedicated gamers.
Sat 22/05/04 at 16:52
Regular
Silent Death wrote:
> Hey does anyone know that this makes the ps1 the top selling games
> console in history ?

I'm not sure.

I think the NES was the best selling games console in history, but I may be wrong or confused with something else. However, I do know for sure that if you count every Game Boy incarnation as one then that by far outsells the PS1.
Sat 22/05/04 at 16:50
Regular
The PS1 was a superb console. While it didn't boast many innovations, the controller was beautifully designed for the types of games on the system and it was truly a developer's machine - the hardware and CD medium were easy to work with, which meant designers could invest in lots of projects.

It was compact and accessable, and had a massive range of games to complement the triumph that was the hardware. It saw the birth of the GTA, Gran Turismo, Driver, Tony Hawk's and countless other series, alongside the continuation of majorly popular franchises such as Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid.

It easily overshadows the abomination in hardware design that was the PS2, and gave the N64 a very competent competitor. It opened up gaming to the masses, but in doing so inadvertently spawned a race of casual gamers that keep the crappy cash-ins and yearly sequels coming.
Sat 22/05/04 at 16:37
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
be§§ant™ wrote:
> oh yhea the san andreas isn't due to be realsed on the xbox at all...

I seriously doubt this, where did you hear that?
Sat 22/05/04 at 16:35
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
be§§ant™ wrote:
> san andreas

This is the only game I'm keeping my PS2 for.

> gran turismo prolouge / 4

I'm not bothered about Prologue, £20 for a demo!? I don't think so. However I want to know how that time penalty system will work in the final game, if they give you a penalty everytime you hit the walls then that's really going to put me off the game. Surely hitting the wall is penalty enough?

Okay, so there may not be many good games coming out for the PS2 in the near future, so I think I may start buying some of the older titles that I've yet to play.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.