GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DS & PSP simultaneous release..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 26/05/04 at 08:27
Regular
[URL]http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/n_3089-news.html[/URL]

Probably old news to you lot (only posted by SR yesterday) - this is both good and bad news. I will be getting both machines, but I wasn't planning on them being released at the same time! That means there will be less of my cash to go on games for both machines.

In the back of my mind I'm hoping one of the machines turns out to be not all that - but the reality is that I want both of these to succeed as they both have their strengths.

What do you think on the launch situation? Were/Are you still planning to get both?

Knowing me and my spending habits, I'll probably still buy both regardless of the huge dent to be left in my wallet :D
Wed 26/05/04 at 08:27
Regular
[URL]http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/n_3089-news.html[/URL]

Probably old news to you lot (only posted by SR yesterday) - this is both good and bad news. I will be getting both machines, but I wasn't planning on them being released at the same time! That means there will be less of my cash to go on games for both machines.

In the back of my mind I'm hoping one of the machines turns out to be not all that - but the reality is that I want both of these to succeed as they both have their strengths.

What do you think on the launch situation? Were/Are you still planning to get both?

Knowing me and my spending habits, I'll probably still buy both regardless of the huge dent to be left in my wallet :D
Wed 26/05/04 at 09:05
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I have absolutely no desire to buy the PSP... It's a portable Playstation, and considering I have a certain distaste for the PS and PS2...
Wed 26/05/04 at 10:30
Regular
I think it's bad news for both companies and retailers.

For Nintendo: There's the risk that people will continue to associate ttheir name with the kiddie image. Although it isn't justified (as we know with games such as Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness and the currently exclusive Resident Evil 4, there are games suited for all needs - however that is another debate. With the assumption that given the choice, most would go for the 'cooler' image, the PSP might have the edge. However, parents will see the backwards compatability with the ability to play last year's Christmas presents on the new handheld and that will be taken into consideration.

For Sony: With a choice of two systems, people are going to see what's the better. A single screened portation device or a new format for new games? I know which I would choose, but Sony do have the 'cool' "I have no sense of fun" image which gamers seem to be drawn to like mindless sheep. The only downside for Sony is that they may lose a few sales.

For the retailers: It is better to have two seperate releases where more money will be taken instead of a simultaneous releases where the money will be spent on either or.

I think if anyone needs to make a move, it is Nintendo. Maybe even try for a simultaneous Christmas release with America and Japan. It may involve some overtime for the production staff, but incedentally will increase the chances of keeping Sony at bay.
Wed 26/05/04 at 10:49
Regular
"bit of a brain"
A christmas release for the DS would be a very wise move by Nintendo, but there's no way it will happen. All we'll get this christmas is Metroid Prime: Echoes and jack else.

If retailers were forced to put the two machines head to head, they would certainly give more shelf space and attention to the PSP, on the assumption that it will sell better, leaving Nintendo in the cold.

Edgy close your brackets
Wed 26/05/04 at 12:24
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Releasing your console on the same day someone else is releasing theirs would be the dumbest move in the history of the universe. There's no way they'll both hit retail on the same day.

What's likely is that both Sony and Nintendo had March 18th pencilled in as prospective release dates for their respective handhelds, and it's since been discovered that the other had the same idea. Just a question of who backs out first.

The amount of news sites that have reported this as fact is alarming.
Wed 26/05/04 at 13:11
Regular
Think about it though, as foolish as it is, if both companies stuck to this date, they'd both have to work their behinds off to create an outstanding launch. It could also doom one of the units - something I definitely don't want to happen.

Anyway - if Sony and Nintendo have both pencilled this date in, it's likely at least one launch will be brought forward in order to get the advantage!

I personally hope they split the dates - easier on my pocket, easier in the long run for both companies.
Wed 26/05/04 at 13:44
Regular
I'm still reeling in the fact that we have to wait a full season after our US counterparts.
Wed 26/05/04 at 14:02
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
If they are released on the same day, I'll get the DS over the PSP.

I'll probably not get the PSP at all, unless an outstanding Pro Evo game comes out for it. And even then, it would have to be really good, because there's not much else I want.

DS all the way.
Wed 26/05/04 at 20:00
"The Will of D."
All the psp makes out to be is just another portable DVD player, with added games. instead of Ds being games console with added instant-chat.
Wed 26/05/04 at 20:40
Regular
": ("
Both!?

*dies*

I might just beable to scrap out enough for the DS, I cant say if I will be getting any of them yet as its too far away.

Just like when the Xbox was announced, about a year before I was certain that I wanted it but then something just made me change my mind.

Im saving up for Xbox 2/Cube 2/PS3 instead unless I win the lottery before then.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.