GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"256mb or 512mb grahics cards?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/05/04 at 16:00
Regular
" Born to ROCK!"
Does anyone know anything about 512mb graphics cards. Currently im looking to upgrade from a GeForce4 mx 440-se (64mb) card to the Radeon 9800xt (256 mb) card, is this wise or should i wait and get a 512 mb Graphics card. Any advice would be most appreciated
Fri 28/05/04 at 23:25
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
If you need a new graphics card Azul then why not get a 9800 Pro? Can be overclocked to 9800XT speeds and depending on the rest of your PC will be able to play all the latest games at very high settings.
Fri 28/05/04 at 22:07
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Ooh.

Well then, if I start saving now, I estimate I'll be purchasing it next July...

By which time, of course, the price'll have been dropped.
Fri 28/05/04 at 22:02
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Azul wrote:
> How much is the X800 XT Plat looking to be?

Well the X800 Pro is about £300 so the XT Plat is probably £50 to £100 more. Overclockers UK have got X800 XT for just over £350.
Fri 28/05/04 at 21:46
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
How much is the X800 XT Plat looking to be>?
Fri 28/05/04 at 19:59
Regular
" Born to ROCK!"
Thank's very much for the advice guys ,it's well appresiated. Dont be afraid to post more ideas if you've got em.

Thanks,

Dedhed
Fri 28/05/04 at 13:15
Regular
I know :D

*rubs hands in anticipation*

Thanks for the advice by the way, just what I wanted to hear!
Fri 28/05/04 at 12:50
Regular
"uncopyable"
Yup, both the X800 Pro and XT Plat are single slot cards. So it'll fit into your shuttle case nicely, and also won't create too much heat in the process.

In fact, the new x800's run cooler than the 9800 XT, hence no need for the large cooling solution employed by nVidia's latest offering. Not to say that the new NV card isn't any good - it's really quite a nice card, but personally I would take a X800 based card anyway.

And if you go for the XT Plat, you will be getting (arguably) the fastest video card on the market today.
Fri 28/05/04 at 12:33
Regular
Safedisc, since you're also after the X800 XT Plat, do you know if it'll fit (and work) in a Shuttle case? Some of the new Nvidia cards apparently spill over onto the next slot don't they? I don't have the space for that to happen, but I want the best of the best, namely the X800 XT Platinum :)
Fri 28/05/04 at 12:26
Regular
"uncopyable"
be§§ant™ wrote:
> 256mb is good for somebody who watches movies on there pc or plays
> very good games.

I would like you to explain how video memory can effect the speed at which a movie is played? Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

> 400mhz is a good speed for graphics card) not great but good.

So that mean that most of the video cards on the market today are, in your misinformed opinion, are 'not great'. Please.

> try to get a fast graphics card as a fast low memory can run alot
> better than a massive memory slow card.

You clearly have no idea about video cards at all; the above sentence proves that beyond any doubt.

@ the person who started this thread. Please disregard what this moron has said; you know more about video cards than he does. Before giving advice, people should make sure they actually have something worth saying, that *isn’t* total BS.

Now. I agree with Adrian (someone who actually knows what he is talking about) - go for a 9800 pro with 128MB of RAM. It'll do the job nicely. Also, there is NO video card on the market, and indeed in the foreseeable future, that will have 512MB of RAM on board - it's just not needed at this stage. 128MB of video RAM is enough for pretty much every game on the market - the only time I have seen the extra RAM provide a tangible advantage is in Call of Duty when you have the character and world texture set to ‘extra’ – in this instant the extra RAM means you don’t get the thrashing over the AGP bus as the card has enough RAM to hold the textures in one go. Other than that, the only other instance when 256MB of RAM is going to provide a noticeable difference is if you play games at very high resolutions, 1600 X 1200, and have AA and As turned on – in these circumstances, you may see some advantage simply because the extra RAM will mean less fetching across the AGP bus everything is held in RAM.

Get a 128MB 9800 Pro. At £130-ish, it’s by far the best ‘bang for buck’ you are going to get at the moment – unless of course you have the cash to get a nice shiny new X800. I’m waiting for the X800 XT Platinum Edition to hit the stores, then I will bag myself one of those bad boys. Although I hear the X800 Pros do OC quite well, but the extra pipelines on the XT Platinum Edition more than make up for any OC you could do.
Thu 27/05/04 at 23:44
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
be§§ant™ wrote:
> i would reccomend 128 - 256 mb (make sure the speed is good as well
> eg: 400mhz is a good speed for graphics card) not great but good.
>
> game requires 64mb, if you have 350mhz its gonna work fine but its
> gonna process that much faster at 700mhz.

Depends on more than speed of RAM and CPU of the graphics card. 412MHz is the speed of the CPU on a 9800XT and you say thats good but not great ? RAM speed is 365MHz(730MHz DDR) One thing to point out is that the 9600XT has a CPU speed of 500MHz and RAM of 300MHz(600MHz DDR). 9800XT is faster due to double the pipelines over the 9600XT.

Dedhed depending on the rest of your machine then I would recommend getting a hold of a 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro. 128MB is plenty now and unless you want to spend £300+ on a graphics card the 9800 Pro will give you amazing performance for around £130. One thing to point out is that cheap cards can have 256MB which will tempt buyers especially if there £60-70 but they are rubbish because of slow speeds on CPU and RAM and limited pipelines, etc.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.