GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"256mb or 512mb grahics cards?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 27/05/04 at 16:00
Regular
" Born to ROCK!"
Does anyone know anything about 512mb graphics cards. Currently im looking to upgrade from a GeForce4 mx 440-se (64mb) card to the Radeon 9800xt (256 mb) card, is this wise or should i wait and get a 512 mb Graphics card. Any advice would be most appreciated
Fri 04/06/04 at 10:04
Regular
"uncopyable"
be§§ant™ wrote:
> i looked at ukgraphicscards.com and they have 2 slightly diffrent
> models they run at 333mhz. but on my card is 400mhz,
>

Yes, the 9200SE's all run at 333MHz RAM speed.

So I assume by the above statement you are claiming that you have a 9200SE card that is capable of running it's RAM at an OC of nearly 70 MHz?

What software are you using to verify you RAM is indeed clocked at this rate?

Now it's common knowledge that the RAM on these entry level cards is pretty poor stuff - so to get a 70Mhz OC on this quality of RAM, to my mind, is the work of fantasy. I am not saying it's impossible, but I would be very surprised to see it. And if you are talking about stock cool, then I would straight up so, you couldn't do.

On my 9800Pro i can OC the RAM (which for the record is Samsung - the best memory ATI fit to their cards) by about 50-60 MHz MAX and run stable - anything more and i will get artefacts or the card will plain fail to work.

However, your lack of knowledge on this whole subject indicated to me that this is somewhat of a pointless discussion. So I won't continue to argue the toss with you over this.

As long as you're happy, then fair enough.

*god, I must be mellowing in my old age* lol
Tue 01/06/04 at 15:58
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
Safedisc_V3 wrote:
> be§§ant™ wrote:
> just going back to earlyier comments:
>
> 400mhz isn't great, i got a 128mb 400mhz for £35 brand new...
>
> and great means - remarkable, outstanding etc.
>
> + i meant the mem not core, should have said.
>
>
> I don’t understand what you mean by this comment ‘i got a 128mb
> 400mhz for £35 brand new’.
>
> Are you saying you have bought a video card with RAM clocked at 400
> MHz for £35, brand new? If this is the case, then would you be
> so kind as to let everyone know, because the only Radeon based video
> cards that have a memory clocked at +400 MHz are the X800 based cards
> – namely the X800 Pro at 450 MHz and the X800 XT Plat at 560 MHz. And
> even if we look at the nV side, then you need to go up to a FX 9950
> Ultra to get to the 400 MHz you are talking about. (the 9950 Ultra is
> actually clocked at 420Mhz to be exact).
>
> All I can say is, if you can get any of those video cards for
> £35, new, then please do share you amazing information, as I
> think we would all like one.
>
> Personally I think you are talking BS and stick with my initial
> assessment of you video card knowledge – i.e., nothing.

i looked at ukgraphicscards.com and they have 2 slightly diffrent models they run at 333mhz. but on my card is 400mhz,

the ones at SR are: Connect3D RADEON 9200SE & SAPPHIRE RADEON 9200SE

my one is a: XV RADEON 9200SE

i bought mine on ebay for £45 a while ago, now the few that are on there have a buy it now on around £35.
Tue 01/06/04 at 14:01
Regular
"uncopyable"
be§§ant™ wrote:
> just going back to earlyier comments:
>
> 400mhz isn't great, i got a 128mb 400mhz for £35 brand new...
>
> and great means - remarkable, outstanding etc.
>
> + i meant the mem not core, should have said.

I don’t understand what you mean by this comment ‘i got a 128mb 400mhz for £35 brand new’.

Are you saying you have bought a video card with RAM clocked at 400 MHz for £35, brand new? If this is the case, then would you be so kind as to let everyone know, because the only Radeon based video cards that have a memory clocked at +400 MHz are the X800 based cards – namely the X800 Pro at 450 MHz and the X800 XT Plat at 560 MHz. And even if we look at the nV side, then you need to go up to a FX 9950 Ultra to get to the 400 MHz you are talking about. (the 9950 Ultra is actually clocked at 420Mhz to be exact).

All I can say is, if you can get any of those video cards for £35, new, then please do share you amazing information, as I think we would all like one.

Personally I think you are talking BS and stick with my initial assessment of you video card knowledge – i.e., nothing.
Tue 01/06/04 at 12:42
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
just going back to earlyier comments:

400mhz isn't great, i got a 128mb 400mhz for £35 brand new...

and great means - remarkable, outstanding etc.

+ i meant the mem not core, should have said.
Sun 30/05/04 at 20:29
Regular
" Born to ROCK!"
Thanks for all the info so far guy's tomorrow my final art degree show opens. So i'll find out my budget for upgrading my pc... fingers crossed it goes well i.e. I sell loads of paintings and can buy a shiny new kick ass graphics card ;)
Sun 30/05/04 at 19:10
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
ßulle†† wrote:
> Safedisc, since you're also after the X800 XT Plat, do you know if
> it'll fit (and work) in a Shuttle case?

As Safedisc said, the new X800 cards run cooler than the 9800 series, and only take up the one slot rather than an additional PCI slot (or the only PCI slot in Shuttle's cases), so yes it will definately fit in a Shuttle.

More than this, when ATI were demonstrating their new beasties to the public, they actually used Shuttle cases to house them in to show how cool they run and also how power-efficient they are (most Shuttle cases' PSU's are rated around a measly 220W).

I've seen one comparison test so far between the 6800 Ultra and X800 pro, with benchmark results being a very close thing. However, it's worth noting that the 6800 Ultra's true competitor is the X800 XT Platinum, with those extra 4 pipelines, so there's no reason why it shouldn't blow the 6800 Ultra out of the water!

Then ofcourse there's the heat and power advantages it has over the 6800 Ultra (nVidia card requires 2 additional PSU connections I believe), making it look as though ATI has edged a lead once again.

On a sidenote, I'll be building a Shuttle system myself this summer to take to uni...mmm...X800 Plat...
Sun 30/05/04 at 09:40
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Azul wrote:
> Well I'm planning on upgrading RAM to 512mb from 256 soonish really.
>
> Got a 1.4GHz Athlon also.

I would say a big upgrade is needed if you want to play the latest games at a decent setting. My old machine was a 1.2GHz Athlon with 512MB RAM and a GeForce MX200. To take advantage of a 9800 pro above you would need to get a new motherboard which has 8x AGP, new CPU and some DDR RAM 1GB would be good, 512MB sufficient for now.
Sat 29/05/04 at 23:33
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Well I'm planning on upgrading RAM to 512mb from 256 soonish really.

Got a 1.4GHz Athlon also.
Sat 29/05/04 at 07:34
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Azul wrote:
> Geforce 2 MX400.

Think you need an upgrade if you want to play the latest games. I had a GeForce 2 MX200 which is even worst, in my old computer until I built my new one with a nice 9800 Pro.

Whats the CPU and RAM etc? As if there pretty low spec it might be worth getting a new system, if you did want to play new games at a decent setting.
Fri 28/05/04 at 23:30
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
I've currently got a, wait for it;

Geforce 2 MX400.

I know. It's brilliant.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.