GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Yey - Mario 64!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Super Mario 64'.
Fri 28/05/04 at 07:11
Regular
Recently picked up a Green N64 with 4 games inc. Mazza 64.

Now, it's been a long time since I played this - how the hell do I activate the green boxes? The ones with the steel hat??

While you're here, you might want to share with us just how much you liked this game and how far you got/how many stars.

Go on, you know you want to.
Tue 01/06/04 at 16:25
Regular
"America, _ yeah!!"
Ive played Mario dating all the way back to the nintendo when it first came out. The gameplay is amazing, and in my opinion , you don't have to love the graphics which i think are not amazing but nobody really cares because of the gameplay. Mario is one of those classic games that really stick out in your head and are still being made today. It is really original aswell, with plumbers and queens and dragons in a world. Loved that game and the hazy maze is one that you just slip through with one life left.
Tue 01/06/04 at 16:13
Regular
I hate that hazy maze cave, now I remember why I stopped playing it last time :D
Tue 01/06/04 at 13:24
Regular
"smile, it's free"
ßulle†† wrote:
> ßulle†† wrote:
> Now, it's been a long time since I played this - how the hell do I
> activate the green boxes? The ones with the steel hat??
>
> I'd be grateful if anyone could answer this for me :)

1) Go to hazy maze cave.
This is found in the lower level of the castle. If you are facing the painting leading to lethal lava land (course 7) take a right. Go through the door with the star on it, and jump in the pool of metal.

2) The 'secret area'.
Go to the lake.
Take a left at the start of the level, long jump over the gap. Follow the path through the next area, past the falling rocks. In the next room take the elevator down.
Once there, butt-bash on the back of the beast and climb onto his head. Wait till he takes you to the far side of the cavern where there's a platform and a door, and jump there. Go through the door...

I don't remember exactly where the switch is from here... but it shoudl be pretty obvious.
Tue 01/06/04 at 13:10
Regular
"smile, it's free"
> did you create a walkthough for it?

No... although I did draw a map of the entire game from memory once, just as a personal challenge. Don't think I could do that now however :)
Tue 01/06/04 at 12:20
Regular
ßulle†† wrote:
> Now, it's been a long time since I played this - how the hell do I
> activate the green boxes? The ones with the steel hat??

I'd be grateful if anyone could answer this for me :)
Tue 01/06/04 at 12:17
Regular
"www.bloodbanx.com"
VenomByte wrote:
> I played Mario 64 to death. Seriously.
>
> I completed the game with all 120 stars a dozen or so times at least.

i completed it once, but i think i had 117 stars and i kinda gave up around 3-4 years ago

> I set myself challenges to see how quickly I could get 120, how
> quickly I could get to 70 and beat bowser, how many coins I could
> collect on each level, how many stars I could get without using and
> of the special caps, how many different ways I could find to get each
> star and so on.

>
> I found out which stars could be collected in the 'wrong' order, how
> to get to the top of the castle without using the cannon, how to get
> inside the castle without using the front door, and lord only knows
> what else.
>
> I think it must have been one of the last console games I can say I
> was truly addicted to. They haven't had the same effect on me since.

did you create a walkthough for it?
Mon 31/05/04 at 21:29
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I played Mario 64 to death. Seriously.

I completed the game with all 120 stars a dozen or so times at least. I set myself challenges to see how quickly I could get 120, how quickly I could get to 70 and beat bowser, how many coins I could collect on each level, how many stars I could get without using and of the special caps, how many different ways I could find to get each star and so on.

I found out which stars could be collected in the 'wrong' order, how to get to the top of the castle without using the cannon, how to get inside the castle without using the front door, and lord only knows what else.

I think it must have been one of the last console games I can say I was truly addicted to. They haven't had the same effect on me since.
Sun 30/05/04 at 10:12
Regular
"tokyo police club"
As much as Mario 64 ruled and does rule, when I plug it in today, it doesn't nearly compare to Super Mario Sunshine.

I remember renting an N64 for the weekend, and basically spending 48 hours on the damned thing, nearly completing Super Mario 64 in teh process (was about 5 stars away from Bowser), and I loved every single moment. I had withdrawl for about the next 6 months, and I longed for an N64.

Unfortunately, my Mother never did get me one.

But then, Sunshine came out. And I played it. I played it and played it and played it some more. I loved it. Ater completion, i needed more Mazza goodness. I tried to go back to the 'genius' of Mario 64, and it just didn't... click.

Brilliant game for its time, but often looked upon with rose-tinted glasses.

That said, I'd be ferociously defending Sunshine when the next generation comes around...
Sat 29/05/04 at 00:39
Regular
yeah, last summer I picked up a nearly new 64 for 30 squid, along with Mario 64, Perfect Dark and Goldeneye.

Superb games, never tire of them.

can't remember how far I got on Mario, not played it for a bit. might have to have a crack at it this weekend now you've reminded me.
Fri 28/05/04 at 07:11
Regular
Recently picked up a Green N64 with 4 games inc. Mazza 64.

Now, it's been a long time since I played this - how the hell do I activate the green boxes? The ones with the steel hat??

While you're here, you might want to share with us just how much you liked this game and how far you got/how many stars.

Go on, you know you want to.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.