GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The 10 steps to GAD heaven"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 20:52
Regular
As Dan suggested, here is Turbonutter’s 10-step guide to winning GAD. Some of you might be a little worried considering I’ve never won, but ah-well, sod it.

1. Originality, originality, originality! Original posts seem to go down well, so try to keep them as new as possible. Try not to do a topic that was done less than 2 months ago.

2. Post long replies. It’s not always, in fact it’s rare, that a new topic wins. Most GADs seem to be awarded to replies. Remember: What looks long in Word is usually shorter on SR. Beware!

3. Post lots. If you have an opinion, say it. If it’s a good opinion, write a long post about it.

4. Review all your games, even the ones you don’t like. Read a magazine review and note down all the points they made. Then, close the mag and write your own lengthy, well-balanced review.

5. Don’t make your post too long. I know it sounds stupid, but Dan2K1 has suffered from this in the past.

6. Make your post well written. This makes it easier to read and will get more replies. Try paragraphing it, so it looks better. Dont rite lik dis, or ppl dont want 2 reed it.

7. Complain! You are almost *cough* guaranteed to win at least 3 days after your complaint. It works almost *cough* every time!

8. The next post is ALWAYS better than the last, so keep trying. Stick at it, and success will find you.

9. If you’re stuck for idea, rip off someone else’s. Look back through the pages a few months, find a topic that hasn’t been done for a while and re-write it, but better. Better yet, look for a topic that won a few months ago.

10. If all else fails, cheat. Grab an old magazine, copy a review/article almost word-for-word, and no-one will remember. Be prepared to face exile if you’re found out though!

Now, with a list like that, how can you fail? If you do however, have a look at the below list.

10 ways of venting GAD failure frustration:

1. Complain. This will guarantee success next time!

2. Shoot the pillow! Better yet, shoot your mates. Grab a copy of UT and blast away. Even better, shoot the person who beat you!

3. Smash up a Saturn/PSone/N64 and release all that tension via the harmonic tones of sledgehammer + circuitry

4. Send “Big Mick” round to sort him out

5. Get Reaper to show you how to make an E-mail bomb.

6. Get Fat Toni to show you how to make a mail bomb.

7. Break into SR Sawbridgeworth and hold Ali up for the ransom of one game

8. Break into SR Sawbridgeworth and steal one game

9. Write a story. Stories relieve tension and even win sometimes. Try to incorporate the person who beat you into it, preferably many times but not for long. Make sure shotguns and kneecaps are involved somewhere. Walk-on-drop-dead parts are always popular.

10. Send a fake E-mail to Russia from the USA containing multiple violent insults. Send one to the USA from Russia containing much the same thing. Smile as World War III breaks out. IF YOU CAN’T HAVE THE GAME, NO-ONE CAN!!!

Calm…

Well, good luck everybody!
Wed 11/07/01 at 20:52
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
As Dan suggested, here is Turbonutter’s 10-step guide to winning GAD. Some of you might be a little worried considering I’ve never won, but ah-well, sod it.

1. Originality, originality, originality! Original posts seem to go down well, so try to keep them as new as possible. Try not to do a topic that was done less than 2 months ago.

2. Post long replies. It’s not always, in fact it’s rare, that a new topic wins. Most GADs seem to be awarded to replies. Remember: What looks long in Word is usually shorter on SR. Beware!

3. Post lots. If you have an opinion, say it. If it’s a good opinion, write a long post about it.

4. Review all your games, even the ones you don’t like. Read a magazine review and note down all the points they made. Then, close the mag and write your own lengthy, well-balanced review.

5. Don’t make your post too long. I know it sounds stupid, but Dan2K1 has suffered from this in the past.

6. Make your post well written. This makes it easier to read and will get more replies. Try paragraphing it, so it looks better. Dont rite lik dis, or ppl dont want 2 reed it.

7. Complain! You are almost *cough* guaranteed to win at least 3 days after your complaint. It works almost *cough* every time!

8. The next post is ALWAYS better than the last, so keep trying. Stick at it, and success will find you.

9. If you’re stuck for idea, rip off someone else’s. Look back through the pages a few months, find a topic that hasn’t been done for a while and re-write it, but better. Better yet, look for a topic that won a few months ago.

10. If all else fails, cheat. Grab an old magazine, copy a review/article almost word-for-word, and no-one will remember. Be prepared to face exile if you’re found out though!

Now, with a list like that, how can you fail? If you do however, have a look at the below list.

10 ways of venting GAD failure frustration:

1. Complain. This will guarantee success next time!

2. Shoot the pillow! Better yet, shoot your mates. Grab a copy of UT and blast away. Even better, shoot the person who beat you!

3. Smash up a Saturn/PSone/N64 and release all that tension via the harmonic tones of sledgehammer + circuitry

4. Send “Big Mick” round to sort him out

5. Get Reaper to show you how to make an E-mail bomb.

6. Get Fat Toni to show you how to make a mail bomb.

7. Break into SR Sawbridgeworth and hold Ali up for the ransom of one game

8. Break into SR Sawbridgeworth and steal one game

9. Write a story. Stories relieve tension and even win sometimes. Try to incorporate the person who beat you into it, preferably many times but not for long. Make sure shotguns and kneecaps are involved somewhere. Walk-on-drop-dead parts are always popular.

10. Send a fake E-mail to Russia from the USA containing multiple violent insults. Send one to the USA from Russia containing much the same thing. Smile as World War III breaks out. IF YOU CAN’T HAVE THE GAME, NO-ONE CAN!!!

Calm…

Well, good luck everybody!
Wed 11/07/01 at 21:02
Wouldn't it be very ironic if this were to win GAD? I mean, it's got oodles of originality, as stated inpoint 1.
Wed 11/07/01 at 21:26
Where do Ali and Tony and co. actually work? Do they have a seperate office building somewhere else or do they work from a shop like Basildon or Sawbridgeworth?
Wed 11/07/01 at 21:40
nice post TBN.
Wed 11/07/01 at 21:44
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
yes that all very well writing long reviews and posts
BUT my writing skills r to say the least Sh*t.
so i dont think ill be winning any GAD for a long long while.
maybe when we lose gravity on earth or something
Wed 11/07/01 at 22:05
Cheers Delta - my ideas are mine - NOT ER-NO's!!!

Well done TN - but don't encourage shoplifting :D

Latest Gameaday winner!
"I know it sounds stupid, but Dan2K1 has suffered from this in the past."
posted by Turbonutter

Always happens this way...

Good Luck mate :)
Wed 11/07/01 at 22:09
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Well Nutter, you seemed to have listened carefully to Sensei Dan2k1 and your rewards will be great!:

If you're lucky, you'll get a McDonalds voucher.

*Shocky sniffs, dusts his hands and looks really smug. He looks TN in the eyes, pats him on the back and realises that this is a real contender*
Wed 11/07/01 at 22:11
Shocktrooper-san :)
Sensei!
Wed 11/07/01 at 23:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys.
Wed 11/07/01 at 23:50
Regular
Hmmm my 5 rules to GAD success.

1. size does not matter but try not to make it too long or extermley short lets say a paragraph is too short 3 or 4 maybe good.

2. Comedy no matter how important make it funny it really is important makes it fun to read.

3. Original, tends to be my strongest ability is to be original.

4. Be clever, dont bore us with Jargon but make it seem as if you have given this some thought and know what you are talking about if you don't the rest will pick up on it.

5. Most of all don't get desperate and have fun.

Dringo

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.