GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How about a PS2 VGA box then?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 20:08
Regular
Hi guys, go easy on me, it's my first post okay?
Don't know if anyone else has thought about this, but wouldn't it be great if someone made a VGA box so you can play your PS2 through your PC monitor, like the Dreamcast one? I had one for my old dreamcast, and it was pretty damn impressive with the sharp, clear picture and sound through the Hi-Fi rather than the TV!
Sun 15/07/01 at 23:51
"High polygon count"
Bloody system! Sorry 'bout that!
Sun 15/07/01 at 23:42
"High polygon count"
SonicRav wrote:
> If it wasn't hard to do, then why is there NOT ONE SINGLE PS2 GAME THAT DOES???
> Answer: because it is hard to do with Sony's dev kit...

Rubbish - there are games that have 60Hz - DoA2 and Sky Odyssey are two of the games that I've owned, and Sky Odyssey was coded by a small, previously unknown company. If they can manage it, it can't be that hard.

The fact is, lack of 60Hz is down to nothing but laziness on the part of the developer. If they can't manage it, they only need to ask Sony, who by all acounts are extremely helpful and forthcoming with technical information.
Sun 15/07/01 at 23:40
"High polygon count"
SonicRav wrote:
> If it wasn't hard to do, then why is there NOT ONE SINGLE PS2 GAME THAT DOES???

Rubbish - there are games that have 60Hz - DoA2 and Sky Odyssey are two of the games that I've owned, and Sky Odyssey was coded by a small, previously unknown company. If they can manage it, it can't be that hard.

The fact is, lack of 60Hz is down to nothing but laziness on the part of the developer. If they can't manage it, they only need to ask Sony, who by all acounts are extremely helpful and forthcoming with technical information.
Sun 15/07/01 at 23:37
"High polygon count"
SonicRav wrote:

Sun 15/07/01 at 22:48
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Bonus wrote:
> Sonic that doesn't make sense, the console only outputs what it is
> told to. Most games are created in 60Hz, then converted to PAL, so
> all they would have to do is create an option to convert from one to
> the other. I really can't see it being that difficult.

EXACTLY! If it wasn't hard to do, then why is there NOT ONE SINGLE PS2 GAME THAT DOES??? Answer: because it is hard to do with Sony's dev kit... think of another answer... even the earliest, most rushed DC games had 60Hz options!

Sonic
Sun 15/07/01 at 18:26
Regular
Sonic that doesn't make sense, the console only outputs what it is told to. Most games are created in 60Hz, then converted to PAL, so all they would have to do is create an option to convert from one to the other. I really can't see it being that difficult.
Sun 15/07/01 at 17:51
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Wòókiee Møn§†€R wrote:
> SonicRav wrote:
> Sony "promised" VGA support

Check
> the forthcoming PS2 monitor...

> (in the same way they
> promised 60Hz support!)

And the PS2 does support it. Not Sony's
> problem if developers don't utilise it!

Actually, that was my point..

On the DC 60Hz is so easy to utilise that almost every game does thanks to Sega's dev kit. On PS2 this is clearly not done as easily... so people end up not bothering... hence it IS Sony's fault!

Sonic
Sun 15/07/01 at 16:11
"High polygon count"
SonicRav wrote:
> Sony "promised" VGA support

Check the forthcoming PS2 monitor...

> (in the same way they promised 60Hz support!)

And the PS2 does support it. Not Sony's problem if developers don't utilise it!
Sun 15/07/01 at 11:22
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Here's the deal:

VGA screen have far better resolution than TVs... allowing games like Soul Calibur to be seen in their full glory. To give an example, on the TV you can't see all of Voldo's vains under his skin... on the VGA you can.

HOWEVER, in order to put games on a VGA screen you do not simply stick in a VGA box. Although you can do this, unless the game is specifically programmed to use a VGA resolution, then the game looks identical.

Sony "promised" VGA support (in the same way they promised 60Hz support!), but have yet to show anything for it! The ONLY game that I know to be supporting high resolution is Virtua Fighter 4... made by the pioneers of VGA support, Sega :)

Sonic
Sat 14/07/01 at 18:58
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The picture wouldn't be sharper anyway.

(sorry)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.