GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Newbie ban"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 17:31
Regular
I don't know how long this has been in place, but I just tried to start an intelligent topic in the prime topics FOG and I was told that Newbies and JATs are banned from starting topics in that forum. This is stupid! The FOG is almost dead anyway at a rate of 3 or 4 sensible topics a day, and banning newbies from using it will surely kill it off. The only outcome can be that newbies shun the FOGPT until they are regulars, and by then will have no interest in it. I understand that people would want certian people to be banned because they post utter rubbish, but these people should be banned individualy, possibly by vote, instead of simply banning the entire class.
Thu 12/07/01 at 00:22
I don't mind newbies, to be honest... although one did start off this really naff topic off stating he was better than everyone... newbies also tend to write shorter topics then everybody else. Aw, bless them.
Thu 12/07/01 at 00:06
GasMask wrote:
> if peeps were gonna get banned it should b the indivisual not all
> newbies
were not all bad!!

My point exactly! (although I said it with better SPAG)
Wed 11/07/01 at 23:27
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
DeltaJava wrote:
> Ahh yes, I remember those newbie days...

Me too, luckily though i just became a regular when the ban came in :)
Wed 11/07/01 at 22:52
Ahh yes, I remember those newbie days...
Wed 11/07/01 at 22:50
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
if peeps were gonna get banned it should b the indivisual not all newbies
were not all bad!!
Wed 11/07/01 at 22:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The banning of Newbies from STARTING topics is a good thing.
Not from posting, but from starting topics.

Grix is right, a degree of control is needed to prevent loads and loads of crap being posted.

There are a couple of posters (Longy and Kid Rock) that merely quote whole messages and add nothing to bump the word count up.

But, that is life, people will always want a sort of "status" in whatever they do.

The only thing that matters here, in my opinion, is that you post interesting or amusing stuff.
Wed 11/07/01 at 21:59
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
It's obvious that when people post a new, original, long, and obviously well-constructed topic, they really want to win GAD. They can't honestly say "Nah, it was to create an interesting discussion", ok maybe that's ONE reason, but 90% of their minds must of been focusing on the prospects of a free game - admit it!

I'm not saying it's wrong to try and win, i'm just saying : be honest. I'm always thinking of ways to win, but I just can't manage to post something.

Shocktrooper.
Wed 11/07/01 at 21:57
Regular
You won't be a newbie all your life.
Wed 11/07/01 at 21:56
I appreciate all your points, I just think the bannings should be individualised, so there isn't discrimination against all newbies.
Wed 11/07/01 at 21:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
FACT (I like that word today!): Game a day lets u win games

FACT: people want to win games

Hence people will ALWAYS come to the site wanting to win... and what can you do? Who is to say that this topic is a blatent GAD, while this one isn't?

Sonic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.