GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why the nintendo 64 is nintendo's worst console."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 16:50
Regular
First of all there was the matter of the cost of the console, i saved week after week for about two years to buy the console on it's day of release. Altogether I saved £300, just enought to but the console and mario 64. I read that supplies of the console were impossible to get a hold of cos it was that popular. About 1 month later the console dropped in price to only £150 and suddenly there wasn't a shortage in them anymore. No now nintendo so that they neede to sell more console to try and catch up to the sales of the playstaion, that was all well and good for them, but I wonder if they stopped to think how many of their true fans they had just ripped off with the price drop. Also on a whole the sofware for the n64 has been rubbish, altogether i would say that about 20 value for money titles were realesed and about 85% of these were made by nintendo or rare. So what this means this means is that the n64 was just too hard to develope for. Plus nintendo were too ignorant to drop the cartidge idea and use CD's ocs they were worried about games being copied. I suppose at first that sounds like an ok idea but it stopped quality companies like squaresoft developing games like Final Fantasy for the console. All in all i think that if you bought an n64 like i did, instead of a playstation then you missed out on an incredible generation of gaming. Even though i am one of nintendo's most loyal customers i am seriously considering wheather it would be worth buying a gamecube, I think i may very well be forced to turn to Playstaion 2 cos i don't want to miss another generation of quality console gaming.
Thu 12/07/01 at 14:10
Regular
"DS..."
still, the n64 rocks and the greystation sucks!
slik !_!
Thu 12/07/01 at 16:29
I think Slik has the worst case of fanboyism i've ever seen
Thu 12/07/01 at 19:15
I think it comes from reading too many NOM Magazines.
Thu 12/07/01 at 19:41
Regular
"gsybe you!"
I am slightly maddened by this forum:

1. If the N64 was the worst console made by Nintendo:

a) What about the virtual Boy? (and perhaps the 64DD)
b) If it is bad, then the worst nintendo make, can still beat the hell out of a lot of other things - So why not buy a Gamecube?

2. PSX - The best generation of gaming - Give me a break!!!!!!

a) An excuse to churn out games that would sell well, based on brands, not quality
b) The worst games ever have featured on PS - The best ever have featured on the N64
c) Every single quality game on the PS, you can get for the PC (except for GT 1,2,3, but I think they are overhyped pieces of boring rubbish)
d)The PSX was not the golden age- It ruined gaming by bringing unwanted trash in to the market, reducing the various companies effort on games - Except for a few golden boys, but they were really on th Nintendo side.

I do agree that cartridges were a mistake, but the N64 is not the worst console ever, and is not Nintendos worst effort by any length.

I am definitley not going to buy a PS2 - A GC is miles better (according to practicly everything I've heard of it) and i want to play magic games, not regurgitated crap.

PS. Learn how to spell properly please.
Thu 12/07/01 at 21:01
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Meka, great points, except for one thing.

The idea about the N64 being ahead of its time.... nah! It was Ninty's fault for lack of developers.

Look at it from the developers' view points:

Ninty make a new console (excitment)... but then say that only they will be allowed to make games at first and dev kits will be given to other firms later.

Then they announce they are using cart format... expensive to produce, and seeing as only ninty was allowed to then developers would have to pay ninty big bucks!

Meanwhile, Sony where almost giving their dev kit away. Unlike ninty, Sony helped developers with their game-making, and had great dev support teams. The reason was that Sony knew they needed loads on Ninty to get the PSX out on top.

In addition, Sony were publishing games more cheaply, and already had a huge market... storming into america and later Europe.

Ninty have learned from their past mistakes... and soon will re-enter the market.

Sonic
Thu 12/07/01 at 23:02
Regular
The N64 in my opinion was nintendos best console. Just not as succesful as the snes and nes. This of course is due down to the ignorance of Nintry in two ways. Firstly making games on carts, and secondly not taking sony seriousily.
Thu 12/07/01 at 23:42
Also, of course, due to the competition of the PS then, which had CD games, appelaing to the public more.
Fri 13/07/01 at 08:41
Regular
The topic writer shot himself in the foot.

He slated the N64 for being hard to make for but it turns out that the PS2 is 10 times worse.

Only Sony can't make great games the same way Nintendo and Rare did to stay afloat...
Fri 13/07/01 at 10:04
Regular
"DS..."
rik-rik wrote:
> I think Slik has the worst case of fanboyism i've ever seen
Yes well i'm only stating the obvious at least i'm not lying like those greystation fans who keep on saying that their inferiour machine is better than the n64 and besides i'd rather be a fan of Nintendos consoles any day rather than be a mindless zombie and say stuff like "yeah psone is better than the n64 hmmm i'm so thick i don't even no that the psone is crap and i'm being brainwashed into thinking it's better than a console that is obviously more powerfull hmmm what was i doing? oh yeah i was trying to figure out how to plug in my psone duuuhhh!"
slik !_!
Sat 14/07/01 at 17:33
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
The reason why N64 is worse than other consoles is because of the cartridges. The N64 was an incredibly hard console to program for and this caused many companies to turn to develop games for the Playstation because of the CD's being easier to program. Also, the prices of cartridges are a lot higher than CD's and this made people want to go and buy a playstation where the prices were a lot cheaper for the games. If you look, Pokemon Stadium was £50 when it came out and playstation games were a lot cheaper. But I do think the N64 is a great console though, the multiplayer features on it are great, Perfect Dark and MarioKart are two great games that you can play for hours with your mates!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.