GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why the nintendo 64 is nintendo's worst console."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 16:50
Regular
First of all there was the matter of the cost of the console, i saved week after week for about two years to buy the console on it's day of release. Altogether I saved £300, just enought to but the console and mario 64. I read that supplies of the console were impossible to get a hold of cos it was that popular. About 1 month later the console dropped in price to only £150 and suddenly there wasn't a shortage in them anymore. No now nintendo so that they neede to sell more console to try and catch up to the sales of the playstaion, that was all well and good for them, but I wonder if they stopped to think how many of their true fans they had just ripped off with the price drop. Also on a whole the sofware for the n64 has been rubbish, altogether i would say that about 20 value for money titles were realesed and about 85% of these were made by nintendo or rare. So what this means this means is that the n64 was just too hard to develope for. Plus nintendo were too ignorant to drop the cartidge idea and use CD's ocs they were worried about games being copied. I suppose at first that sounds like an ok idea but it stopped quality companies like squaresoft developing games like Final Fantasy for the console. All in all i think that if you bought an n64 like i did, instead of a playstation then you missed out on an incredible generation of gaming. Even though i am one of nintendo's most loyal customers i am seriously considering wheather it would be worth buying a gamecube, I think i may very well be forced to turn to Playstaion 2 cos i don't want to miss another generation of quality console gaming.
Tue 17/07/01 at 19:02
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Rogue Fanatic wrote:
> Actually we do have a copy of Mario Party... and the not as good,
> Sonic Shuffle... both are amazing.

eh? Not so good=amazing? Make your mind up man!
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:02
Regular
"gsybe you!"
The ultimate is MP3 - Same as the first two, but with many more games etc

Or Mario Tennis!
Tue 17/07/01 at 17:00
Actually we do have a copy of Mario Party... and the not as good, Sonic Shuffle... both are amazing.

Also... Samba De Amigo is wicked for a party! Its a really good game to find out if you still have rythym after a few bottles of tequila ;)
Mon 16/07/01 at 14:20
Regular
"not dead"
Rogue Fanatic, if you like N64 multiplayer games, then could I just recomment Mario Party (any version) to you! It may look a little childish, but it's great fun with friends (especially if you get the beers in too!)
Mon 16/07/01 at 14:11
N64 the worst?

I doubt it.. Im currently at Uni and live with my mates in shared flat. There are 5 consoles in our flat. PSone, PS2, N64 and 2 Dreamcast's.

Upfront... the least played console in the flat is the PSX, followed by the PS2 -- Simply because of the LACK of multiplayer games, and dare I say it 'quality' games. We just dont play them much. Yes... there are good games like GT2/3 and FFSeries and MGS1/2 ... but as for wanting to have fun with all your mates... their poo.

The DC obviously rocks.. with nice graphics and a couple of decent multiplayer games... (thats why we have two after all... but the DC is not the point here)

The N64 is better then what most people think, simply because more people own a playstation then an N64. The N64 was/ is a really good console - because it brought a 4 player console to the home. Games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are stuipidly good.

I will admit tho that it did lack support, because of the production costs. But just imagine for a moment, what the market would have been like IF it didnt cost much to produce an N64 kart... do you still think the PSone would have been the best of the 90's?.. I doubt it.

Besides machines like the Jaguar and 3D0 were and are the worst consoles of the 90's!
Sun 15/07/01 at 23:20
That's so true. Well said, slik.
Sun 15/07/01 at 10:41
Regular
"DS..."
i agree, with all have our critcisms about other consoles but hey! what is this part of the site for? exactly, discussing games and consoles and at the end of the day no one is going to change what they believe in but at least we can argue our points of view...
slik!_!
Sat 14/07/01 at 20:46
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
You make get lots of childish comments from N64 owners, but you also get lots of stupid comments from the Playstation an Dreamcast owners, it's simple really. You bought this console and you want people to think that is the best, so you try and put other consoles down by making comments about it. It will go on forever, people will always put other consoles down because they are proud of what they have got and they don't want other people to have something better than them! It's a case of just wanting to have the best, and if anybody has something that can be better than what you have got, you are going to try and make what they have got look bad and what you have got look good.
Sat 14/07/01 at 19:54
Regular
"Back For Good"
I'm only in this section to check on something but i just had to say i bet only a fraction or propably none of you have seen a PS2 running a decent game. If you read the software lineup on videogames.com of both the PS2 and he gamecube i think you'll see better games on the PS side.

I'm not trying to start an arguement here but how can you judge something you probably don't know jack about,Sony do make fantastic games including GT3 which is out next friday as a matter of fact and if you have just one go on that there's just nothing to say thats bad about the PS2.

The N64 has it's high points but prices even now are higher than any other consoles and i think that put so many people off,I favor Sony but i just get so sick of immature people going around saying greystation's cr*p sony can't make games when Nintendo mainly just update an old classics.

Nintendo are good but i can't understand why most of it's fans just say childish things about other consoles.

I'm not here to argue but just to state my point.
Sat 14/07/01 at 17:33
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
The reason why N64 is worse than other consoles is because of the cartridges. The N64 was an incredibly hard console to program for and this caused many companies to turn to develop games for the Playstation because of the CD's being easier to program. Also, the prices of cartridges are a lot higher than CD's and this made people want to go and buy a playstation where the prices were a lot cheaper for the games. If you look, Pokemon Stadium was £50 when it came out and playstation games were a lot cheaper. But I do think the N64 is a great console though, the multiplayer features on it are great, Perfect Dark and MarioKart are two great games that you can play for hours with your mates!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.