GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How many games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 13:06
Regular
So how many games do you think that YOU need at a consoles launch to really see how good it is?

Surely one game isn't enough, you'll have to buy a couple, otherwise you can only rate the console based on one game.

How many games do you need before you can make a good judgement?
Wed 11/07/01 at 19:26
Regular
"everyone says it"
The Playstation 2 had a terrible launch, put aside the actual amount of console units and hardware shortages the real problem was the games...

...over twenty five games at launch and none of them being actual launch games. Nearly all the companies bar Sony had a really bad financial first weekend for the Playstation 2. Sony had allowed through any game for launch and didn't really give a monkeys banana if it sold well or not. One of the games had a serious problem only selling fourty copies in the launch week, guess what happened? Well the company were then brought out by another.

Sony in the UK were much alike Tim Henman they both had pressure to give the best and win so easily that it put all opponents out of touch.

My personal opinion on this matter is that eight games is the perfect amount that a console needs for a great launch.

I would only ever buy three games at launch and no more, there would always be the launch game, (no matter what Nintendo says the GameCube will have a launch game)... and then the other will be picked on multiplayer useage, the last game would be purely down to taste.

Not many gamers would buy all eight launch games so no more are really needed. Also for a launch the balance of genre needs to be great for everything to sell smoothly. A console couldn't launch with eight RPG's because not all gamers like RPG's. As long as there is a classic, a launch game, a multiplayer game, a racing game, a childs game and a adult game the console will have a great launch.

I feel that the Japanese launch for the Gamecube is going to show us if Nintendo has learnt anything from others mistakes, Nintendo are churning out machines faster than any company has done so before, lets just hope they release the right games...

Heres to Waiting...
Wed 11/07/01 at 18:41
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i prefer about 4-5 games at a launch. Id say a shooting game, a platformer, beat em up, rpg and maby a racing or sporting game. This way you have a good selection but don't have too many games to chose from. Also you won't have much moneyfrom buying the console so people wouldn't buy many games anyway.
Wed 11/07/01 at 18:32
I was impressed by the GBA's 'ping' sound before I had any games. But obviously you need a good few - 8 or 10, just so most obvious genres are covered, something for everyone that way.
Wed 11/07/01 at 18:22
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
The success of the original Playstation securred success the PS2.
Wed 11/07/01 at 18:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
The PS2's launch wasn't good but it still didn't stop it from becoming massive. All it had were two killers, TimeSplitters & SSX, and two old favs, Ridge 5 and TTT. Bit poor, really.
Wed 11/07/01 at 17:42
most consoles need 12 excellent games at launch, with a guaranteed setup of quality titles about three months later, meaning by the time the consoles been out for 4 months it has around 24 games
Wed 11/07/01 at 16:51
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> I think a console needs at least 4 'must have' titles at launch,
> with another 8-10 'good' games, and some more 'crappy' games.

Why
> have some 'crappy' games? Simply because some people are more
> impressed by the number of games available, rather than the number
> of quality games.

At launch, a console needs as many games as
> possible.

That was one of the advantages of Ps I am not going to argue about the quality of the games. But they did have a lot from the start and this encouraged people to buy their console.
Wed 11/07/01 at 16:06
Regular
I think a console needs at least 4 'must have' titles at launch, with another 8-10 'good' games, and some more 'crappy' games.

Why have some 'crappy' games? Simply because some people are more impressed by the number of games available, rather than the number of quality games.

At launch, a console needs as many games as possible.
Wed 11/07/01 at 15:43
Oh, not again.
Wed 11/07/01 at 15:42
I think that it doesn't matter how many games are available at launch - as long as the games on the release date have good variety, gameplay and lastibility e.g. Luigi's mansion then I'm sure those games will keep the gamer occupied until more come through. To be honest, the N64 was just about right with their releases - only the cost and data format (cartridges) established its downfall. However, little can be said about the N64's release schedule near the end of its life - Banjo Tooie, despite being finished HALF A YEAR before Conker's Bad Fur Day, was still released a month or so after it, which prevented sales for the game from reaching its peak.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.