GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How many games?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/07/01 at 13:06
Regular
So how many games do you think that YOU need at a consoles launch to really see how good it is?

Surely one game isn't enough, you'll have to buy a couple, otherwise you can only rate the console based on one game.

How many games do you need before you can make a good judgement?
Wed 11/07/01 at 13:06
Regular
"not dead"
So how many games do you think that YOU need at a consoles launch to really see how good it is?

Surely one game isn't enough, you'll have to buy a couple, otherwise you can only rate the console based on one game.

How many games do you need before you can make a good judgement?
Wed 11/07/01 at 14:53
> Meka_Dragon wrote:
> How many games do you need before you can make a
> good judgement?

Depends on what type of games you buy and how good they are. If you were unlucky enough to buy a few games that you thought were total pants, you wouldn't really rate the console itslef. If the opposite happened you would think it was the best console on the planet.
To make a good judgement you really need the best and the worst game from each genre, like the best racing game and the worse, the best RPG and the worst and so on. Only then do i think you can make a good judgement.

Darkreaper
Wed 11/07/01 at 15:19
It depends more on the type of games really.

If lets say a new console comes out called the A-Force for example, the console will obviously need at least five games at launch. But each game has to be a different type of game.

If all the A-Force games were shoot em ups, then this would be great for some people who love that type of game, but for others who don't, they would stay clear and would probably buy another games console with a similar price tag.

If all the games were adventure games, even if they all had completely different plots and features etc, they still would not appeal to everyone.

This applies to racing games, fighting games, puzzle games RPG's etc.

Variety is needed if a console is to be popular - everyone knows that.

So in order for a console to be successful it needs a good amount of releases and a variety of them.

So how have recent consoles done?

didn't the Nintendo 64 only have 3 launch titles?
Both the Playsation2 and Dreamcast had many more.
also just look at how many games there are now for the GameBoy Advance, already a highly popular games console.
The GBA's games are also extremely varied with platformers like Mario, Puzzle games like Kuru Kuru kururin, racing games like F-Zero and other games like Tony Hawks 2.

So overall, I think the more games at launch, the better, but they have to be varied to apply to everyone. This also works with the argument about 'Mature and babyish' games. Its simple, release a balanced amount to satisfy everyone.

Am I making any sense?
Wed 11/07/01 at 15:23
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I would probably need to play one game in each genre, just to see what the console can do. If I'm satisfied with most of them, and I always am, then I'm likely to buy that console. It's normally shoot 'em ups and platformers that show of a consoles power though.
Wed 11/07/01 at 15:25
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
the N64 was launch with 1 game in japan! Mario. The reason is that Nintendo ONLY let first parties release games at first... with more following... great idea!

3 months after release, there were.... FOUR games! WOW! And you wonder why the N64 ain't too big in Japan!

Sonic
Wed 11/07/01 at 15:39
I think that it doesn't matter how many games are available at launch - as long as the games on the release date have good variety, gameplay and lastibility e.g. Luigi's mansion then I'm sure those games will keep the gamer occupied until more come through. To be honest, the N64 was just about right with their releases - only the cost and data format (cartridges) established its downfall. However, little can be said about the N64's release schedule near the end of its life - Banjo Tooie, despite being finished HALF A YEAR before Conker's Bad Fur Day, was still released a month or so after it, which prevented sales for the game from reaching its peak.
Wed 11/07/01 at 15:42
I think that it doesn't matter how many games are available at launch - as long as the games on the release date have good variety, gameplay and lastibility e.g. Luigi's mansion then I'm sure those games will keep the gamer occupied until more come through. To be honest, the N64 was just about right with their releases - only the cost and data format (cartridges) established its downfall. However, little can be said about the N64's release schedule near the end of its life - Banjo Tooie, despite being finished HALF A YEAR before Conker's Bad Fur Day, was still released a month or so after it, which prevented sales for the game from reaching its peak.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.