GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What's the difference?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 10/07/01 at 13:17
Regular
The Matrix and The Mummy Returns. What's the difference.

Both are action movies with plots that borrow heavily from other movies in the genre.

Both are very special effect oriented.

Both feature actors that are generally not known for their great acting. (Except maybe Laurence Fishbourne).

So, what's the difference?
Tue 10/07/01 at 13:17
Regular
"not dead"
The Matrix and The Mummy Returns. What's the difference.

Both are action movies with plots that borrow heavily from other movies in the genre.

Both are very special effect oriented.

Both feature actors that are generally not known for their great acting. (Except maybe Laurence Fishbourne).

So, what's the difference?
Tue 10/07/01 at 13:35
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
One is well directed, has characters you identify with, no annoying movie kids, a script that although borrows doesn't insult the intelligence of it's audience.

One had never seen before stunts and effects.
One has actors that are able to convey emotion and depth (except for Reeves).
One has decent intentions and was ground-breaking.

The other is The Mummy Returns
Tue 10/07/01 at 17:49
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
While I'm not the biggest Matrix fan in the world I have to agree. There is no comparing the two - the Mummy Returns is the first film I have ever walked out on. So, unless the last 30 minutes of the MR was particularly special I'll stick with the Matrix too.
Tue 10/07/01 at 18:11
Regular
"Looking for freedom"
I've never walked out of a film. I've come close on a couple of occasions but there always seems to be a reason for me to stay. Here's a few examples:

Cherry Falls - it became amusingly bad with hilarious continuity errors.

American Beauty - A truly awful film, but I stayed 'cos we were going out afterwards and I didn't want to be in the bar on my own.

Man In The Moon - I needed a lift home. We all did. But the driver was too stubborn to leave early.

I rate The Mummy Returns as one of the three best films of the year (alongside Shrek and The Emperors New Groove). It's not as good as The Matrix and I wouldn't expect many to disagree but, annoying kid aside, it's still a fantastic piece of entertainment.
Tue 10/07/01 at 22:16
Regular
"Whatever!"
The Matrix was a great film but not one to be kept going on about time and time again - The Mumy Returns however, all Ive heard is crap and I have absolultey no intentions of seeing it at all - I thought the first Mummy was bad enough!!
Tue 10/07/01 at 23:04
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Films I have walked out on:

Forrest Gump.
Right wing propaganda, offensive and juvenile in the extreme.

Screamers
Even the cinema staff asked us if we were sure about this one, being the only 4 people in there. Half way through, my mate says "I'm going for a crap" and takes 20 minutes.
We swiftly followed when he returned.

Life Is Beautiful.
A comedy set in a concentration camp.
Disgusting, abhorrent film and if I ever meet Roberto Benigni, I will punch him in the face for making this film.
Wed 11/07/01 at 02:46
Matrix was excellent.
Its accused of not being original but the ideas of the film were presented better than in the films they were likely borrowed from.
Excellent effects (mini-revolutionary id say no one had used them in such a way before).
Excellent fight scenes well choreographed (most of us no why).
And acting was good from every one except keanu and there is no surprise there.
Matrix was excellent.

Why you walked out on forest gump i dont know.
I suppose it could be taken a little offensively.
Nothing worse than what some heavy metal bands go on about...

How was american beauty not a good film?
I suppose you dont like SHawshank redemption either?
Wed 11/07/01 at 08:42
Regular
"not dead"
I don't rate The Matrix any higher than I do The Mummy Returns.

Maybe it's because I saw the film long after its video release, and half of the action films went all flickery, so annoyed the hell out of me, but other than this I didn't much like any of the characters. Especially the agents. I thought as 'bad guys' they were useless. They didn't look the part. They looked like geeks, and geeks are not to be feared.

I thought that the dialogue was poor, what with the discussion about everything tasting of chicken, and the daft bit towards the end when rather than just getting back to safety Trinity has to deliver her "The Oracle told me I'd fall in love with the chosen one" line, which was delivered so poorly, and totally unnecessary, almost as if the studio said "You just gotta develop a love interest!"

The characters that died due to te betrayal didn't matter. They hadn't been developed nearly enough, so their deaths meant nothing. This could have been a really effective scene, but it just didn't work.

As far as sci-fi movies go, I've seen better. It was a pretty good action flick, with some great special effects, but special effects maketh not the movie.

I'm interested in seeing the sequel, but hoping that they don't fall into the same traps as the original.

The Mummy Returns wasn't a great movie, it too had it's flaws (just how did the guy get Teddy Ruxpins giant inflated airship floating again?) but at least it had mummified pygmies.

And Brendan Fraser is much better in the Mummy Returns than Keanu Reeves is in The Matrix.
Wed 11/07/01 at 09:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
davidD wrote:
Why you walked out on forest gump i dont know.
I
> suppose it could be taken a little offensively.

Reasons I walked out on Forrest Gump:

Anti-intellectual. The message was "Hey, don't worry about studying or trying to gain power through knowledge. Be an idiot and just smile about it all, it'll work out ok for you!" (Wonder why Americans lapped that up?)

Pro-Military.
Gump joins the army and follows orders, he survives.
Lt Dan is unhappy and doesn't think the army's the greatest thing ever, gets legs blown off. Becomes alchoholic and suicidal. Offensive to both the disabled and war veterans that aren't 100% "Sir, yes sir!"
Bubba (ethnic character) is killed.
Jenny, a peaceful protestor catches a big disease with a little name and dies.

Seemed to say "Follow what you're told and it'll all be ok! You can get through life with a few homespun platitudes!"

"Life is like a box of chocolates".
You mean if you read the little ticket, you know exactly what's inside?
Wed 11/07/01 at 09:05
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I liked the Mummy Returns because it was a simple, no-brained adventure film - and that is what I wanted to see at the time. How quickly did Tower Bridge rise though! And the Scorpion King looked like something out of Xena.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.