GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Your perfect gaming environment."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/07/01 at 19:13
Regular
What is your perfect gaming environment? Where do you like to play games? In the living room or the bedroom or your office? Do you like to drink during a gaming session? If so what? How we play games is something that could have an effect on how games are made. An example of that is in Goldeneye. How, you may, and probably are, be thinking.

Well I like to have a drink near to hand when I am playing games. And in Goldeneye in single player that is difficult. The pause menu takes a long time to come up with the wee watch animation. And during all that time there can be enemies shooting you.

Things like this might not really bother you but they bother and annoy me. If I am paying £40 or even £50 for a game I want it to be perfect. I will not be but some games are better than others because certain features have been implemented better.

How we play games does have an impact on how much we enjoy them. If I do not have a drink or do not have my red N64 controller when I am playing my (or someone elses) N64, then I am not fully comfortable and do not enjoy the game playing as much then as when I so have my controller and drink etc.

I just wondered what you lot thought and if I was just an overly demanding games player.
Thanks for reading
Biggles
Mon 09/07/01 at 19:13
"I love yo... lamp."
What is your perfect gaming environment? Where do you like to play games? In the living room or the bedroom or your office? Do you like to drink during a gaming session? If so what? How we play games is something that could have an effect on how games are made. An example of that is in Goldeneye. How, you may, and probably are, be thinking.

Well I like to have a drink near to hand when I am playing games. And in Goldeneye in single player that is difficult. The pause menu takes a long time to come up with the wee watch animation. And during all that time there can be enemies shooting you.

Things like this might not really bother you but they bother and annoy me. If I am paying £40 or even £50 for a game I want it to be perfect. I will not be but some games are better than others because certain features have been implemented better.

How we play games does have an impact on how much we enjoy them. If I do not have a drink or do not have my red N64 controller when I am playing my (or someone elses) N64, then I am not fully comfortable and do not enjoy the game playing as much then as when I so have my controller and drink etc.

I just wondered what you lot thought and if I was just an overly demanding games player.
Thanks for reading
Biggles
Mon 09/07/01 at 20:37
My "perect" gaming environment involves the following:

An adjustable height blue chair with arm rests (when the tension is mounting, I usually highten the chair for the added suspense);

headphones (the noise is more concentrated for more added effect and realism);

a widescreen TV positioned 1m away(to watch the action as it happens with no bit of wall inthe way)

Squishy surface for chucking my control pad on in times of frustation.

Of course, this "setup" is suitable for games likePerfect Dark - but for those like Banjo-Tooie, I tend to go for a more subtle approach.
Mon 09/07/01 at 20:43
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
My gaming 'nirvana'.

1) Phone off the hook
2) Hermetically sealed into my bedroom
3) Laid out on the bed with joypad cable stretching from one end of the room to the TV at the other
4) Pizza (Beef and Pepperoni)
5) Copious amounts of Diet Coke (about 4 litres)
6) Pen and notepad nearby in case I need to jot down a code or sketch a quick map
7) No interruptions, preferably rest of the household is away on holiday for a fortnight
8) No committments, so I can play for as long as I wish and not worry about having to get up the next day
9) A nice collection of AAA titles near to hand, so if I get bored with one, I can quickly grab another
10) More pizza.
Mon 09/07/01 at 20:51
Regular
I've often played Skies of Arcadia well into the night... it's an experience to start playing at 8:00PM, and then look at the clock, and it's 5:00AM.

So, basically everything FM said, swap Diet Coke for normal Coke, and Beef and Pepperoni for Ham and Pineapple, added to the equation, the wonderful feeling of playing and watching the sunset in the window, and then later watching the sunrise in the window.

Beautiful.
Mon 09/07/01 at 20:54
Regular
"Whatever!"
In the bedroom, lights off curtains closed around 7 pm till about 3 am!!
Mon 09/07/01 at 21:00
Regular
Same as Grix and FM, except in the lounge, resting comfortably on my bean bag.

Oh yeah, with Spicy Chicken Pizza with added topping of donner meat instead.
Mon 09/07/01 at 21:36
Regular
"Back For Good"
Depends

Resident Evil,MGS,hogs of war mainly in my room with the big subwoofer and speakers in bed at night.

Tekken,crash team racing and some others at my mates with a cigs and a BUD, kinda get distracted if it's a thong party night though

D'oh.
Mon 09/07/01 at 21:50
"I love yo... lamp."
Fm that is a great idea the bit about having a soft place to throw your controller!! My already mentioned red N64 controller has been thrown so much that it does not work properly any more. I now take it apart about once a month to clear out the gunk and unstick the buttons. But sadly rumble packs do not work with it any more. Still saves to memory cards though. And I replace the sellotape on it every fortnight or so. And I prefer Irn-Bru. And you must have a plastic tumbler because glass ones break when they get thrown. I have this big plastic cup and it survived getting thrown down the stairs. Lots of times. And I need a Bon Jovi CD when the sound starts to annoy me. And yeah Pizza is good. Especially spicy lamb or chilli or chicken fajita. And I like an empty house and my bed or living room on my bean bag or just the rug. You have to be close to the screen as well. If you have got a good set up like that hen you can play for a very long time. I have spent over 14 hours on Goldeneye with only loo breaks occasionally. Only 9 and a half hours on Comman & Conquer though.
Mon 09/07/01 at 22:14
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
And I need a Bon Jovi CD when the sound
> starts to annoy me.

"Crossroads" to be precise it has the best sonds and ones to suit most games. The only one it doesn't have is "Its my life" from "Crush" which is great for aggressive games. Say it isn't so is another good one from that album but isn't really suited to games, Apart from something like champo which is slow moving.
Mon 09/07/01 at 22:18
"I love yo... lamp."
Its my life is the best for games when you need to psyche yourself up like on the last race in 1080 snowboarding when you are against the iceman. 7800 degrees fahrinheit is also pretty good for games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.