GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rockstar Equals Violence?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 05/06/04 at 22:03
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Having watched a program on the tv i am outraged that the government is trying to ban violent games. Why is this so. They say that gta leads children to think that to kill and steal cars ect is ok. My question is this... how can a game lead to violence. Surely it is the childs mind or the fault of the parents. In my opinion it is the fault of the parents as they bought the cert. 18 title. Not only Rockstars GTA series but also Manhunt. Both of which are banned in Australia.

Being a lover of both these titles I would hate to see them taken off the market and although it is highly unlikely it could still happen. So then does anyone else hate. Everyone should rebel against situations like these. How can it be justified anyway?

People I wan your views especially younger people. Do you think games change how you act?
Sat 05/06/04 at 22:03
Regular
"hulagadoo"
Having watched a program on the tv i am outraged that the government is trying to ban violent games. Why is this so. They say that gta leads children to think that to kill and steal cars ect is ok. My question is this... how can a game lead to violence. Surely it is the childs mind or the fault of the parents. In my opinion it is the fault of the parents as they bought the cert. 18 title. Not only Rockstars GTA series but also Manhunt. Both of which are banned in Australia.

Being a lover of both these titles I would hate to see them taken off the market and although it is highly unlikely it could still happen. So then does anyone else hate. Everyone should rebel against situations like these. How can it be justified anyway?

People I wan your views especially younger people. Do you think games change how you act?
Sat 05/06/04 at 22:09
Regular
"Monochromatic"
For f**ks sake how many times has it got to be said, these kids arent supposed to be playing these games.
And frankly i think youre more likely to be left disturbed by some of the stuff in tv and films.
This is a stupid argument brought around by ignorance and arrogance that you can get away with it in films because it's artistic freedom, but because it's "just" games it's not allowed.
Sat 05/06/04 at 22:09
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
There has to be something wrong with you in the first place if you copy something from a videogame in which case you shouldn't even be near them in the first place.

The blame should fall squarely on the parents, if they actually bothered to raise their kids in the first place instead of letting the tv raise little Johnny for them then it wouldn't happen. A 12 year old should not be playing games like Manhunt, GTA or Socom (bloody annoying retards on the mic but that's another debate) etc etc

It's the blame culture we now find ourselves in, it's everyone elses fault for our stupidity and laziness but not ours and everyone looks for a scapegoat which videogames sadly are.

Films are far more likely to make someone do something if anything seeing as it's actual real people doing the things and not just aload of pixels on a screen.

If videogames are such powerful mind manipulaters that can get you to do anything they depict then why doesn't Pro Evo make me go out for a kickabout in the park? Why doesn't Tony Hawk's Underground make me pick up a skateboard and go to a skatepark? Maybe the soccer mom brigade and the government can come up with an answer for that
Sat 05/06/04 at 22:10
Regular
"um..."
Oh no! ban video Games before i run out and blow up a helicopter with a rocket launcher I don't even have.

Get real, banning violent games would be stupid besides one study said playing violent games relieves stress

trust me if they were banned crime levels would not go down, in fact I bet most people who commit crime dont play computer games on a regular basis

are GTA and Manhunt really both banned in Australia?
Sat 05/06/04 at 22:13
Regular
": ("
Shouldn't they ban Movies like American History X and other violent movies if they ban games then?

Games aren't real, most games dont even look real but a film is and I personally think a kid can copy more things from a film that a game.
Sat 05/06/04 at 22:16
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
BAN THE WHOLE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sat 05/06/04 at 22:19
Regular
"Redness Returneth"
I am 12 years of age I play games like GTA and Manhunt (I love that game so much, but you will all be tired to death of that story already) and I don't go out and blow up the nearest person with a grenade when I go down to the park later that day.
Sat 05/06/04 at 22:21
Regular
": ("
Im 14 so im older than you, ha ha!

:P
Sat 05/06/04 at 22:27
Regular
"um..."
lalakersrule wrote:
> BAN THE WHOLE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Except the Wireless!
Sat 05/06/04 at 22:32
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Children you should not be playing thses games, for every 999 who can just play them and not be affected there may be one who hasnt got a full grasp on reality, they likely didnt have it before, i don't think games can make someone violent, i think if you are already unstable or have violent tendancies they can give you ideas.
I'm not being mean, i'm having common sense, and as graphics get more realistic the age restrictions are going to have to be more strictly enforced.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.