GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon- overrated?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/07/01 at 01:36
Regular
Crouching Tiger i feel was the most disappointing movie experience i've had. Don't get me wrong- it was a great film, but when i heard a martial arts movie got so many Oscar nominations i couldn't wait to see it.
The fight scenes were excellent, but I wasn't impressed by the way they were shot. The camera should just have stayed fixed on the fighters, allowing us to see the great technical fighting more closely.
I thought the story was sound, but a bit weak and ultimately unrewarding. The end was inevitable, but it seemed a bit rushed.

I own the DVD and still rate it as one of my top 20 films, but i was expecting so much more...

What does anyone else think about the film??
Tue 10/07/01 at 01:44
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
Yeah - I saw it in the cinema first - more because I liked Ang Lee than because of the then mounting hype around the film. I can see your point though, it would look a lesser film on DVD. The small screen doesn't really lend itself to the specticle of the fight scenes and the stunning desert vistas.

My main problem with it was the pacing - the whole centre section in the desert feels much slower then the section it is sandwiched by. You get a huge slap in the face by that and the fact that the actual story it is telling, while traditional and in with the goals set for the film by Lee, is boring. Actually, out of character for Ang Lee, it is also done in a very tired way. Look to something like the wonderful Ice Storm (still Lee's best film IMO) - if he had have been able to make the middle act something like that then it could have been wonderful and the change in pace would have been overlooked.
Tue 10/07/01 at 01:26
Regular
did u lot watch the film on DVD for the first time or see it in the cinema? i can see why alot of u may have been dissapointed by the film if u saw it on DVD first as it had all these awards associated with it. i saw it in the cinema ages ago and thought it was a really good film, i dont have no expectations of the film becasue nobody had hyped it up. i tend to enjoy movies more when i know little about them.
Mon 09/07/01 at 23:53
Great- i'm glad i've found like-minded people disappointed by Crouching Tiger.
Talking about the Matrix- i did enjoy it, but i reckon that if it was only an hour long, and just consisted of the martial arts training bit at the beginning, and then the last half an hour, it would be the greatest short film ever! They padded it out with storyline rubbish that a film like that doesn't need. Who cares about the plot when you've got action sequences like those!!!
Mon 09/07/01 at 22:21
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
The "blockbuster league" - what vapid, brainless popcorn fodder? I would say being in the "blockbuster league" would be a bad thing at the moment as we haven't had any really good "blockbuster" films for a very long time now. Guys like Brukenhimer (ermmm.... spelling is off, but you know who I mean) seem content to repackage the same rubbish year after year but with a bigger budget.

CTHD isn't a blockbuster - and that's a good thing, espically if you look to this summers blockbuster - the god awful Pearl Harbour.
Mon 09/07/01 at 21:29
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
He will be tomorrow at 11:40am. He's my Physics teacher and that is when my Physics lesson starts tomorrow.

He's a dead man.
Mon 09/07/01 at 21:23
"I love yo... lamp."
Vottanator who is Votta? Why is he not dead already? Anyway The Matrix is the best film ever made. Is Votta dead yet?
Mon 09/07/01 at 21:12
Wheather or not a goo film it's not really in the "blockbuster" leauge as it is made out to be.
Mon 09/07/01 at 21:10
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Yeah, I know. The Matrix was a great film but I hate it when people say it is the best film ever made! ARRRRGGGHHH!!!! If I hear that one more time then I will take my anger out on Votta. Too bad for him.

Come on, somebody say The Matrix is the best film ever so I can beat him.
Mon 09/07/01 at 20:30
Regular
"Whatever!"
I thought it was the most amazing film ever - The shots didnt worry me that much, I was so taken a back with the martial arts and stunts/moves to worry about the shots!! It is one of the most amazing films I have seen!!

If any film is overrated then look no further than the Matrix - Great film I know but please lets stop hearing about it!!
Mon 09/07/01 at 19:57
"I love yo... lamp."
I thought that Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (or CTHD from now on) was a really good movie. I did not like the way though that the people could run up walls though. I will have to see it again to comment on the camera though, I can not remember what it was like.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.