GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Style - How Much Does It Mean 2 You @8 - ]"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/07/01 at 20:29
Regular
Many of us regularly battle it out here in the Special Reserve Chat Forums, discussing the pros and cons of the Playstation2 compared to the Dreamcast. So the Playstation 2 is more powerful than the Dreamcast, and maybe the Dreamcast has a better selection of games than the Playstation2...but I want you to ignore these arguements for now and concentrate on style.

Style, but why I hear you ask? Well anyone who remembers the days of the 8bit Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) will realise that style has come a long way since then. The NES was perhaps one of the most unstylish consoles ever to grace this planet, its design can only be described as a grey box...and yet in its day it was the most popular console in the world.

What I want to know is how much design, and style means to you...we always say that well buy a console based on the quality of games available for it, but think! Would you buy a Playstation2 if it looked like a NES???

I'ld like to know what console, in your opinion has the best design?

Do you think that the Playstation 2 looks like a VCR, has a dodgey power button??
Or perhaps you think the GameCube looks like something that wouldnt look out of place in a Nursery??
Maybe the Dreamcast is the best looking console on the market today, but its joypads let it down??
Is there a machine you wouldnt buy, just because its design is so awful??

Whatever your opinion I want to hear it, just leave the machines specs and games out of the arguement. Yes these rules mean you could argue that the MasterSystem was the best designed console in History (But I doubt it!).

Let the discussion commence @8-]
Sun 08/07/01 at 20:29
Many of us regularly battle it out here in the Special Reserve Chat Forums, discussing the pros and cons of the Playstation2 compared to the Dreamcast. So the Playstation 2 is more powerful than the Dreamcast, and maybe the Dreamcast has a better selection of games than the Playstation2...but I want you to ignore these arguements for now and concentrate on style.

Style, but why I hear you ask? Well anyone who remembers the days of the 8bit Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) will realise that style has come a long way since then. The NES was perhaps one of the most unstylish consoles ever to grace this planet, its design can only be described as a grey box...and yet in its day it was the most popular console in the world.

What I want to know is how much design, and style means to you...we always say that well buy a console based on the quality of games available for it, but think! Would you buy a Playstation2 if it looked like a NES???

I'ld like to know what console, in your opinion has the best design?

Do you think that the Playstation 2 looks like a VCR, has a dodgey power button??
Or perhaps you think the GameCube looks like something that wouldnt look out of place in a Nursery??
Maybe the Dreamcast is the best looking console on the market today, but its joypads let it down??
Is there a machine you wouldnt buy, just because its design is so awful??

Whatever your opinion I want to hear it, just leave the machines specs and games out of the arguement. Yes these rules mean you could argue that the MasterSystem was the best designed console in History (But I doubt it!).

Let the discussion commence @8-]
Sun 08/07/01 at 20:33
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Style does attract u to a games console but its what really counts inside. a games console must have a good selection of games and must b a reasnobale prices. SR will make them cheap anyway
Sun 08/07/01 at 21:23
Yep, and that's what the Xbox is so bad at. With every console bought, they're making a loss - not a good start.
Sun 08/07/01 at 21:43
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
DeltaJava wrote:
> Yep, and that's what the Xbox is so bad at. With every console
> bought, they're making a loss - not a good start.

naaa... this is how Sony started out...

When they first releaed the PS1 they actually used this as a selling point...
Sun 08/07/01 at 21:49
What do you lot think about the style of the X-box?
Sun 08/07/01 at 21:51
Regular
I think the best looking console is the N64.

The most comfortable controller is the DC's.
Sun 08/07/01 at 22:13
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
New Jimmy wrote:
> What do you lot think about the style of the X-box?

In general... I dont :) ... I only ever look at a console to stick the cart/CD in ... And even then I'm only looooking at the CD/DVD drive/Cart port... so it not really something that effects me...

Its how it looks when I turn it on (and wether I can get past any lenthy intro sequences) that of more interest to me...
Sun 08/07/01 at 22:25
New Jimmy wrote:
> What do you lot think about the style of the X-box?

It looks heavy. Oh wait, that's nothing to do with style.
Everyone read my story about me tomorrow (DeltaJava - The end of the Newbie Days) - 7PM! on FOG chat!
Sun 08/07/01 at 22:40
Weight could be considered as style.. do you think the X-box will be too heavy??

I've looked at its design and it will be one beast of a console, in contrast the GameCube will be tiny, half the size of the X-box.

With small mobiles being all the trend at the moment perhaps the same will be true of the GameCube. It will be small, functional, powerful and come in a range of colours..perhaps a winning formula.
Sun 08/07/01 at 22:43
I know it's heavy.. the folk at PC Format said that it "weighs as much as a old, fat cat" does. And with the amount of stuff in it, I'm surprised if it's less weight than the DC and PS2 combined.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.