GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Britney Spears and Boy Zone are our Musical Saviours"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/07/01 at 16:22
Regular
Around in the fifties, though really exploding onto the scene in the Sixties, there have always been ‘Bubble-Gum’ pop groups.

Though the template for the manufactured group is often attributed to ‘the Monkeys’ with their infamous ‘Looking for 4 Crazy Guys’ newspaper ad. There had, for a long time prior to the first appearance of those musical apes been many, many groups whose music, image, action, had been conceived and controlled by a music companies producer.

These two aspects (Bubble Gum Groups and Hard-Marketing) are often singled out as the two greatest evils in the current state of music. Masterminded, over-seen and controlled by the all consuming evil of the Multinationals of the Music Industry… Fabrication trends, making (and breaking) groups, almost abusive and brainwashing marketing techniques, all in the name of capitalism…

Then again…

Through these hard marketing techniques, pop music has become a standard entity within our everyday lives, our culture. The British and Northern American cultures especially…. Its near-constant presence is noticeably absent in many of the worlds other nations, even throughout our neighborouring cousins in Europe.

This situation can be further illustrated by the dominating presence of the majority of the music industry being based in the US and the UK.

It also allows for an almost impossibly wide range of fabricated pop groups to consistently sell themselves, their brand name soft drink, clothes, crisps, pretty much anything, and everything. With over sexed teenage girls, and clean-cut a-sexual males bestriding our screens with cheesy dance routines, miming to either re-hashed pop favourites, of badly written new tunes. So similar are these groups, that should an interchange of members occur, probably no one would notice, not least they’re young teen and pre-teen following.

Although, there is a reason for me typing this (other than slagging off the music industry, which is always fun)

It is exactly because of the enormity of the industry, fuelled though it is by the popular music of today, that other styles of music are able to flourish.

Now, I’m talking about pretty much every other form of music here, although there are some exceptions.

Though, I am purposely ignoring the currently trendy ‘alternative’ music (I think Nu-Metal fits in here) which is, itself, though a lesser evil than standard/’pure’ pop, is just as driven by marketing, controlled just as much by industry execs, and is more dangerous in that fans often consider themselves to have a better taste in music, to be more of a connoisseur… NOT listening to POP… which makes them much easier targets (none so blind and all)

I am talking about pretty much all music, I’m going to refer, primarily to that music which has ‘cult’ following, which is small enough to be unknown to the Pepsi Chart watchers, but big enough to be known by people in Glasgow, and London. Including that American band no one else has heard of but are fantastic and have their own sound. Exactly the music buffs like to talk about… the music people who complain about pop music revere… This music is around ONLY because of pop music, only because Britney Spears, Hear Say and Spice Girls sell well…

Where I’m coming fro, is that the size, of the music industry is so large that an enormous variety of tastes can be accounted for. That band in America that no-one else has heard of, only found its way over here, through a friend, who read a mag, or picked it up on his visit to the states last year, is only known because of the scale of the industry, its intention to make money from anything is the only reason you could pick up their album in the local record shop franchise.

For a small band to be able to tour, and known by a select few from lands end to John’o’Groats, can do this only because of the popularity of music to the populous, and its ever present snappy jingle based sound which we are subjected to from before our birth.

It’s because of the all-encompassing music industry, which creates a demand for music by the masses, a desire for others to create music.

If the industry wasn’t around, a far fewer number of artists could afford to present themselves on a level greater than locally or Countywide. Only the mass popularity music could afford to be heard across the UK. With only THE (read Britney, N’Sync) most popular bands being able to be big on both sides of the Atlantic.

There would be FAR fewer bands, even fewer that had influence by musicians who sold few albums, but affected many.

Anyone disagree?
Sun 08/07/01 at 20:45
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Goatboy wrote:
> Yeah, what he said.

You agree?
Sun 08/07/01 at 20:00
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Yeah, what he said.
Sun 08/07/01 at 19:36
Totally agree, all these people who like Eminem and Limp Bizkit e.t.c are usually so against Pop but Pop brings in the cash to allow other alternative styles of music to be promoted....often most pop artists outlast all the other artists anyway. Besides Limp Bizkit seem to be pretty much a pop group anyway, just a bit louder ! LOL And I thought seeing Mr "Slim Shady" in court in America was one of the funniest bits of television this year - mainly due to the fact he looked not quite like he usually does, if you know what I mean.

Lastly, pop is the one form of music that is continuously popular, most other forms are just temporary fads or just don't have the following.
Sun 08/07/01 at 16:22
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Around in the fifties, though really exploding onto the scene in the Sixties, there have always been ‘Bubble-Gum’ pop groups.

Though the template for the manufactured group is often attributed to ‘the Monkeys’ with their infamous ‘Looking for 4 Crazy Guys’ newspaper ad. There had, for a long time prior to the first appearance of those musical apes been many, many groups whose music, image, action, had been conceived and controlled by a music companies producer.

These two aspects (Bubble Gum Groups and Hard-Marketing) are often singled out as the two greatest evils in the current state of music. Masterminded, over-seen and controlled by the all consuming evil of the Multinationals of the Music Industry… Fabrication trends, making (and breaking) groups, almost abusive and brainwashing marketing techniques, all in the name of capitalism…

Then again…

Through these hard marketing techniques, pop music has become a standard entity within our everyday lives, our culture. The British and Northern American cultures especially…. Its near-constant presence is noticeably absent in many of the worlds other nations, even throughout our neighborouring cousins in Europe.

This situation can be further illustrated by the dominating presence of the majority of the music industry being based in the US and the UK.

It also allows for an almost impossibly wide range of fabricated pop groups to consistently sell themselves, their brand name soft drink, clothes, crisps, pretty much anything, and everything. With over sexed teenage girls, and clean-cut a-sexual males bestriding our screens with cheesy dance routines, miming to either re-hashed pop favourites, of badly written new tunes. So similar are these groups, that should an interchange of members occur, probably no one would notice, not least they’re young teen and pre-teen following.

Although, there is a reason for me typing this (other than slagging off the music industry, which is always fun)

It is exactly because of the enormity of the industry, fuelled though it is by the popular music of today, that other styles of music are able to flourish.

Now, I’m talking about pretty much every other form of music here, although there are some exceptions.

Though, I am purposely ignoring the currently trendy ‘alternative’ music (I think Nu-Metal fits in here) which is, itself, though a lesser evil than standard/’pure’ pop, is just as driven by marketing, controlled just as much by industry execs, and is more dangerous in that fans often consider themselves to have a better taste in music, to be more of a connoisseur… NOT listening to POP… which makes them much easier targets (none so blind and all)

I am talking about pretty much all music, I’m going to refer, primarily to that music which has ‘cult’ following, which is small enough to be unknown to the Pepsi Chart watchers, but big enough to be known by people in Glasgow, and London. Including that American band no one else has heard of but are fantastic and have their own sound. Exactly the music buffs like to talk about… the music people who complain about pop music revere… This music is around ONLY because of pop music, only because Britney Spears, Hear Say and Spice Girls sell well…

Where I’m coming fro, is that the size, of the music industry is so large that an enormous variety of tastes can be accounted for. That band in America that no-one else has heard of, only found its way over here, through a friend, who read a mag, or picked it up on his visit to the states last year, is only known because of the scale of the industry, its intention to make money from anything is the only reason you could pick up their album in the local record shop franchise.

For a small band to be able to tour, and known by a select few from lands end to John’o’Groats, can do this only because of the popularity of music to the populous, and its ever present snappy jingle based sound which we are subjected to from before our birth.

It’s because of the all-encompassing music industry, which creates a demand for music by the masses, a desire for others to create music.

If the industry wasn’t around, a far fewer number of artists could afford to present themselves on a level greater than locally or Countywide. Only the mass popularity music could afford to be heard across the UK. With only THE (read Britney, N’Sync) most popular bands being able to be big on both sides of the Atlantic.

There would be FAR fewer bands, even fewer that had influence by musicians who sold few albums, but affected many.

Anyone disagree?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.