GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Picked up Thief 3 yesterday..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Thief 3 : Deadly Shadows'.
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:49
Regular
So far very impressed. Plays very similar to the first two only with the added 3rd person perspective which in my opinion should have been in there from the word go. Similar environments to the firs two and identical objectives but it still manages to keep the excellent quality of the first two intact.

It does take a while to get going which once again won't surprise veterans of the series however once it does the story is superb. Controls are easy to get used to adopting a very familiar first person setup which kindly adapts to the 3rd person perspective.

Technically it also excels, superb textures and a really rich/vibrant back drop are aided with the helps of the Havoc/Ragdol physics engine which once again rears its beautiful bum cheeks. The actual look of the game has a high WOW factor and until you start to dig deep you won't find the niggles that a lot of the reviews complained about.

A couple of things could be improved upon, for example there are no throwing animations, nor are there any cinematic stealth kills which would have been a welcome addition to the series; on the whole it sticks to the 'old skool' system using a more advanced game engine.

In terms of performance it runs very smoothly on top settings, even with high AA and AF settings. As mentioned above it really does look the business and so far with version 1.0 (aside from the massive oversight with the AI difficulty setting) I am yet to come across any game crashes of faults that would need to be patched.

So far an excellent game which makes up for the massive disappointment that was Deus Ex: Invisible War!
Sun 13/06/04 at 18:52
Regular
Got a fait bit into it now and I have to say it's a masterpiece of a title, one of the best I have played in a long time. Reminds me of the original Deus Ex in the sense that it forces you to a main point in the story but it gives you complete freedom in how you approach that objective.

The 3rd person view gives the game a more relaxed feel and it also makes it easier to sneak up on people and steal their bags of money and wallets.

Thouroughly enjoying it though, superb title!
Sat 12/06/04 at 18:13
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Got the game yesterday but my DVD drive has since refused to play any DVD's, including DVD games, so I have to wait until Monday when I get my brand spanking new DVD-Rewriter. Nice to hear it's not the screw up Invisible War was, I'd have hated to see Thief ruined in the same way. Can't wait to play it.
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:49
Regular
So far very impressed. Plays very similar to the first two only with the added 3rd person perspective which in my opinion should have been in there from the word go. Similar environments to the firs two and identical objectives but it still manages to keep the excellent quality of the first two intact.

It does take a while to get going which once again won't surprise veterans of the series however once it does the story is superb. Controls are easy to get used to adopting a very familiar first person setup which kindly adapts to the 3rd person perspective.

Technically it also excels, superb textures and a really rich/vibrant back drop are aided with the helps of the Havoc/Ragdol physics engine which once again rears its beautiful bum cheeks. The actual look of the game has a high WOW factor and until you start to dig deep you won't find the niggles that a lot of the reviews complained about.

A couple of things could be improved upon, for example there are no throwing animations, nor are there any cinematic stealth kills which would have been a welcome addition to the series; on the whole it sticks to the 'old skool' system using a more advanced game engine.

In terms of performance it runs very smoothly on top settings, even with high AA and AF settings. As mentioned above it really does look the business and so far with version 1.0 (aside from the massive oversight with the AI difficulty setting) I am yet to come across any game crashes of faults that would need to be patched.

So far an excellent game which makes up for the massive disappointment that was Deus Ex: Invisible War!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.