GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Picked up Thief 3 yesterday..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Thief 3 : Deadly Shadows'.
Sat 12/06/04 at 15:49
Regular
So far very impressed. Plays very similar to the first two only with the added 3rd person perspective which in my opinion should have been in there from the word go. Similar environments to the firs two and identical objectives but it still manages to keep the excellent quality of the first two intact.

It does take a while to get going which once again won't surprise veterans of the series however once it does the story is superb. Controls are easy to get used to adopting a very familiar first person setup which kindly adapts to the 3rd person perspective.

Technically it also excels, superb textures and a really rich/vibrant back drop are aided with the helps of the Havoc/Ragdol physics engine which once again rears its beautiful bum cheeks. The actual look of the game has a high WOW factor and until you start to dig deep you won't find the niggles that a lot of the reviews complained about.

A couple of things could be improved upon, for example there are no throwing animations, nor are there any cinematic stealth kills which would have been a welcome addition to the series; on the whole it sticks to the 'old skool' system using a more advanced game engine.

In terms of performance it runs very smoothly on top settings, even with high AA and AF settings. As mentioned above it really does look the business and so far with version 1.0 (aside from the massive oversight with the AI difficulty setting) I am yet to come across any game crashes of faults that would need to be patched.

So far an excellent game which makes up for the massive disappointment that was Deus Ex: Invisible War!
Tue 10/08/04 at 02:40
Regular
Damn, the patch slipped through my radar.

Oh well, now I can go buy it at last!
Mon 09/08/04 at 20:12
Regular
"thief"
can anyone help with how to use the door glyph ? do you need something to use the smybol on the church door or well?
Mon 28/06/04 at 15:44
Regular
"A man with a stick"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Just a note to say they have patched it and everything is how it
> should have been on launch. Small patch which mainly corrects the
> saving issue.

Dang, came too late, I completed it. Great game though, a tad easier than the previous Thief's and the levels where slightly smaller as well, but great all the same. Oh, and the Shalebridge Cradle level has to be one of the finest levels I've played in a game all year. A great use of sound to create of the most unsettling levels I've ever played.
Fri 25/06/04 at 20:35
Regular
"where's my tag?"
I've only played the demo which puts me at a massive disadvantage to you people, but I'm also quite happy with everything, being a long time fan and all. The only complaints I have are that my G-Force 3 ti200 card made my first impressions through the demo 'jerky' (which is a fault on my side, I know), and the loading areas that break up the hudge environments shouldn't be present in todays PC games. But I guess that's an XBOX failiure.
Fri 25/06/04 at 08:42
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Just a note to say they have patched it and everything is how it
> should have been on launch. Small patch which mainly corrects the
> saving issue.

Cheers for the headsup on that. It's a fantastic game, although a little too linear and claustrophobic (xbox development, boooooo) at times. Still, a marvelous game and a worthy third installment. I just hope there is a fourth.

The plot is full of suprises later in the game.
Wed 23/06/04 at 21:47
Regular
Just a note to say they have patched it and everything is how it should have been on launch. Small patch which mainly corrects the saving issue.
Fri 18/06/04 at 11:41
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I've been playing it for the past couple of days, and I'm actually surprised at how good it is. I was half expecting to be disappointed after Ion Storm buggered up Invisible War, but it's actually exceeded my expectations.

The one thing I am disappointed in though is the smaller scale of the levels. They are still big, but they've split up into different sections separated by vortex like clouds of mist. The new city also suffers from this, far from the GTA type cityscape I was expecting it doesn't feel much like a city. But saying that, I do enjoy prowling the city streets mugging toffs who waltz around fully kitted with expensive jewellery. If the City Watch kills you, rather than having to restart from the last saved position, you actually get thrown into Pavelock prison from which you have to escape. Nice Touch.

So far so good, I'm really enjoying the game though not the save bug on the Hammerrite Cathedral level, which drops me to the desktop and erases my saved game. Hopefully a patch will also fix this.
Thu 17/06/04 at 17:37
Regular
" Born to ROCK!"
Got it ordered from ebay. Have to wait for my new graphics card but i reckon that by either this weekend or monday i'll be doin some of that thieving action oh yeah! On a funny note I actually stole the original thief out of cash converters the other week. I did it by accident i picked it up to buy it then walked round the shop for five or ten minutes, forgot I was holding it (I was also carrying a bag) and walked out the door. It was only when i got to my car that I realised what had happened and by then it was too far to go back so I decided to thieve thief. Oh the irony
Mon 14/06/04 at 15:25
Regular
I always play games that enjoy so much on each difficulty. Depending on how in-depth the game is I usually start in the hardest setting but because I have wanted to crack on with what is one of the finest games in months I was prepared to start on Normal then play through on Expert when they patch it.
Mon 14/06/04 at 14:15
Regular
There is no point playing it until the patch (which is on it's way) is released to correct the AI bug.

Cause if you're not playing on Expert than you're not playing Thief, and the bug doesn't allow you to play on Expert. So I'm waiting until the patch is released before buying.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.