GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A poll: Yes or No"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/06/04 at 13:47
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Hi everyone- I don't venture in here much so some of you might have never seen me before, but anyway.

I have an Xbox. I don't have very many games, but I have a new job so that can be solved in no time. My question is, however, is LIVE worth it?

Do you get value for money? Are the games that much better online?

I play PC games online, and I am in a clan so I do know a lot about multiplayer gaming. So my main question is:

"What makes Live special, and would you reccomend I get it?"

Thanks everyone.

Chipseh.
Thu 17/06/04 at 10:10
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I might get a wireless adaptor, but £40! I'm trying to save up for an iBook, plus I need some Xbox games.

I better work more.
Thu 17/06/04 at 09:32
Regular
I would recommend a wireless adaptor if you want it.

For the past few days, I've been playing you lot (and hosting my own Rallisport games) from the comfort of my living room, via 802.11g wireless. Sweet.
Thu 17/06/04 at 09:31
Regular
Damned headsets, always breaking...

*grumbles*
Thu 17/06/04 at 09:29
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Well, I get a Belkin Crossover cable from Amazon- and I managed to combine it with my Xbox LIVE order in time, which is nice.
Thu 17/06/04 at 00:12
"I love yo... lamp."
Yes.

Of course depending on if you don't mind paying the money, you can get a wireless adaptor for the Xbox... [URL]http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=LNKNA03LV1&src=DTU3[/URL]

It is a tad pricey, and seeing as my Xbox is only 3 feet from my router I just use a cable. but I'd consider it.

There is also a 802.11g version.

But yes, the official system link cable is just a crossover cable, albeit 10 times more expensive because it is official.
Wed 16/06/04 at 23:16
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
WIll any crossover cable suffice?
Wed 16/06/04 at 22:07
Regular
"gsybe you!"
No, the hidden catch of Live is all the extra stuff.

'Only £40 for a year of gaming!'

Well. Add on to that a Live compatible game, two RJ45 cables and a router, and it's not. Then you have the broken headsets....
Wed 16/06/04 at 20:06
Regular
Microchips wrote:
> So, I'll need an Crossover cable then- and this doesn't come with the
> Live kit?

Annoyingly, No :(

But try (you probably already know):

[URL]http://www.ebuyer.co.uk[/URL]

Or even just a local PC store.
Wed 16/06/04 at 19:56
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I was going to connect it to my PC in my room, which then connects wirelessly to the router downstairs... I'll need to have my PC on whilst playing, but that's the only way it is going to work.

So, I'll need an Crossover cable then- and this doesn't come with the Live kit?

Thanks.
Wed 16/06/04 at 19:21
"I love yo... lamp."
Microchips wrote:
> A little bit of help needed here. :)
>
> Will I be able to use to included cable with my PC or do I have to
> get a special one?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chipseh

How were you going to connect it all up?

You need to use an ethernet cable of some sort with the Xbox, crossover if you use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) or straight through, i.e. normal, if you use a router.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.