GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GBA"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/07/01 at 15:28
Regular
ok, Ive opened this forum to give more people the chance to talk about anything to do with Game Boy Advance, e.g. why you like the gba, what are your favourite games, what games/accesories you are looking forward to, cheats e.t.c.
so whatever it is why not post it in this forum...
slik "_"
[email protected] ( please e-mail me about anything about gba )
Sat 07/07/01 at 21:07
My favourite game if F-Zero, the sheer mind numbing speed balanced with the ease of game play make it a one of a kind.

Hard ware wise the screen can be a little dark if you are in poor light and the L&R buttons can be a little awkward, but its great.
Sat 07/07/01 at 21:31
I just got my GBA a week ago. My fave game is Castlevania, but that's probably because it is the only GBA game I have ;)

My friends have F-Zero, Super Mario Advance and Kuru Kuru Kururin (?) and if I could have one other game right now it would probably be F-Zero because it's sooo fast - faster than the SNES version.

Onto my question: Does anyone know which light source for the GBA is the best? Castlevania is *really* dark, I can barely see it even when I'm in a light room.....
Sat 07/07/01 at 22:17
Sorry, I just realised there is already a thread about GBA light sources.
Sun 08/07/01 at 10:14
Regular
"DS..."
steve_uk wrote:
> Sorry, I just realised there is already a thread about GBA light
> sources.

Don't apologise! I created this thread so that anyone can talk about any aspect about the GBA even light sources...
slik ^_^
Sun 08/07/01 at 10:17
Regular
"DS..."
Is anyone else looking forward to Jurassic Park 3 on the GBA? or has anyone got any info on it because I reckon it will either be a really class 3d game or a really crap 2d platformer i hope it's 3d...
slik (_(
Sun 08/07/01 at 12:25
Have you seen that thing in this months N64 Mag. It is a wireless link cable and will link up with the gamecubes wave bird controllers. no more will you have to sit in a huddle to play multiplayer games.
Mon 09/07/01 at 20:06
Game Boy Advance: It seems like only yesterday that Nintendo of Japan's Head of PR stood on a podium at the Spaceworld show in Tokyo, reached into his breast pocket and gave the breathless crowd their first look at the Game Boy Advance. In fact, it was last August - and ten months later, just 93 days after GBA's Japanese launch, and a little over a week after it arrived in the United States, Nintendo's next-generation handheld has leaped into the palms of an impatient European public. Game Boy Advance isn't simply a Game Boy Color with a few extra bells and whistles. It's a wholesale revolution in portable gaming, a chance to play the kind of games you'd only expect to see dancing around on your TV screen at a bus stop, on the train, tucked up in bed, or on the loo. It's simply a must buy and here's why...

BATTERIES: Over 15 hours' battery life, they promised and 15 hours you get, from the same twin AA batteries that powered Game Bot Color. Even the power light's been tweaked - it's a bright green for the first 12 hours and then becomes a deep red that gradually fades as your Duracells splutter their last. Give the rechargable battery pack or AC adapter a try too, if you like.

D-PAD: Don't be deceived. Game Boy Advance's plastic cross looks smaller than GBC's - but in fact the two pads are exactly the same size. Nintendo's D-pad is still the best in the world, although people have a little trouble with diagonals while playing Kuru Kuru Kururin.

START/SELECT: The positioning of the Start/Select button is brilliant. Pausing and restarting a game if you mess up has never been so easy - just slide your thumb down slightly - which makes the addictiveness of time trial modes on games such as Kuru Kuru even more potent.

DISPLAY: GBA's wide screen is more pleasing to the peepers than GBC's After Eight-shaped display. Yes, it's tricky to see anything in low light (use a third party plug-in light if you can), and subject to glare, but the detail and colour are gobsmacking. By tapping L, you can strecth the display of old Game Boy games to fit - it looks odd at first, but once you're used to it, you'll never go back to the old Game Boy.

CARTS: Their teensy dimensions may make them look cute, but GBA's cartridges are easy to lose, so I recommend storing them back in their box after each play, GBA can play almost all Game Boy Color and Pocket games, too, although there's a price to pay - the way the bulky carts juts out of the top of the machine is horrible.

L/R BUTTONS: Two new buttons for the GB Advance - is crucial for power sliding on racing games, accessing extra moves in beat'em ups and so on. For folk with big hands, though, the way the shoulders are levered on the outside will cause problems. In fact, I ended up using the middle of my index finger to push down L and R.

A/B BUTTONS: Positioned much further away from the D-pad compared to GBC, which makes for increased comfort. Lay your thumb as flat as possible, though - it's tempting to make an L-shape with said digits as you push down on A, which is a sure fire route to eye-watering pain over the course of a prolonged session.

SPEAKER: Chances are you'll be slightly dissapointed with GBA's sound to begin with. The music and effects are audibly better than GBC, but not by much, and everything that the speaker emits has a crunchy low-quality sound to it. But plugging in some headphones- any will do -is the equivalent of having your ears syringed. Suddenly, GBA is punping crisp, stereo audio into your lugholes- and titles like F-Zero and Super Mario come laden with speech and samples of real musical instruments.

BUY ONE NOW!!!!!!
Mon 09/07/01 at 20:46
You should post this in the reviews section KAZOOIE.

Slik the e3 preview of Jurassic Park 3 weren't good but there is a Jurassic park park builder type game coming out. It's like Theme park but set in the dinosaur age
Mon 09/07/01 at 22:40
KAZOOIE!!!!

Your GBA review was the EXACT and I mean EXACT copy of the review written in N64 Magazine Issue 56 Pg 20-21.

Couldn't you have at least changed ONE word?
Tue 10/07/01 at 17:22
Regular
"DS..."
Ive looked around on the web and have found out that there are 3 jarassic park 3 games and they look crap except for one i'm starting to go of the idea of buying jarasic park 3 on the gba... oh well theres still the like of banjokazooie and mario kart advance to look forward to, mmmmmmm mario kart advance...
slik ._.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.