GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box 2: 2005. Revolution: 2006 and Playstation 3: 2007"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/06/04 at 10:51
Regular
It looks like Microsoft are to get the jump ahead of everyone, and in particular Nintendo, in the next generation console war.

Developers have been primed by Microsoft to have software ready for the "X-Box 2" (name set to change as Microsoft don't want to seem inferior to the PS3) by Christmas 2005. It has been reported that several developers would be miffed if the system was not ready by then. The X-box 2 is set to have no hard drive and no backwards compatability and this is believed to avoid a loss on the system like last time. Traditionally the first console out is the weakest and it looks like this can be the case, with Sony once again developing new architecture, Microsoft have left it to ATI and IBM to provide the guts of the system.

These are the exact companies that are creating the guts for Nintendo's upcoming "Revolution" console, and these companies are given an extra year to develop more powerful technology for Nintendo's machine. Despite Nintendo claiming to have "Revolution" ready by the release of the rival system it is looking unlikely they will match the PS3. Zelda is set to try and counteract the "X-Box 2" as that will almost certainly have a Christmas 2005 release as the Gamecube's swan song. A mid to late 2006 launch seems likely and the console is touted by Nintendo head "Iwata" as a "revolution" in the way we play games. He declared the system may incorperate ideas from the highly original DS system showcased at this years E3 that included wireless online modes, touch screen, duel screens and new forms of game storage. Nintendo have declared that Revolution will be backwards compatible with the Gamecube.

With Microsoft preparing a weak console it is up to Sony to provide the strong one. Sony in partnership with IBM is developing the uber-powerful follow up to the PS2's "emotion Engine", CELL. Although it may have similar development issues and what CELL can do is widely exageratted it does seem like a monster is in the works. But the PS2 for a change maybe set to launch its system last. DVD's destroyed the DivX system because the millions of game players could use the PS2 to play their DVD's. Now Sony have developed a high-definiton DVD system, Blu-Ray. But this has a formidable hurdle to overcome, the Toshiba and NEC backed "HD-DVD". How to defeat it? Include Blu-Ray into the ever increasing in power PS3.

For the first time ever Sony maybe last to the table, but with the most powerful system to offer. Nintendo are unsure on how powerful "revolution" maybe. Sony is going for power, Microsoft for early release and Nintendo is doing what the hell it wants to do. And that scares them more than anything.

Dringo.
Tue 22/06/04 at 14:20
Regular
knowning Nintendo it'll be two buttons and a touch panel for movement...

Or something equally ridiculous.
Tue 22/06/04 at 13:58
Regular
Just so long as they get the analogue sticks right...
Mon 21/06/04 at 19:43
Regular
I wouldn't mind if it was similar to the GameCube pad - with just a couple touch ups.
Mon 21/06/04 at 19:04
Regular
"tokyo police club"
It'll never beat teh Ninty pads, though...

I wonder what the revolution pad will look like... hmm
Mon 21/06/04 at 18:28
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Aye, but the control sticks will still be in the wrong places.
Mon 21/06/04 at 15:46
Regular
I bet you it'll be wireless.
Mon 21/06/04 at 13:51
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> And here we have the new Playstation Dual Shock 3 pad!
>
> That's right! It now has an extra feature! That Start Button is
> analogue!
>
> Whoo!

They'd best do something about the pad this time... seriously...
Mon 21/06/04 at 13:51
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
> It will NEVER be 250 GHz.
>
> Even 25 GHz would be a ludicrous figure. We just can't manage things
> like that yet.

That's what I thought, but I've heard it in so many different places.

It's because of this new material they're using which works a lot more efficiently than Silicon, and seems to allow the clock speed to multiply by 100.

I mean, perhaps I've gotten the wrong end of the stick, but I DID read the IBM had made a prototype chip of 120Ghz in an extremely reliable New Scientist (but perhaps I didn't notice it was an April issue ;-D) and then I heard that the Cell chip would manage 250 Ghz.

That was probably on Digitiser (and not from the letters page. It was a proper report!).

I can't imagine anything being that powerful, but if it's a hoax I've been tricked with, then it's come from real high up!
Mon 21/06/04 at 13:19
Regular
And here we have the new Playstation Dual Shock 3 pad!

That's right! It now has an extra feature! That Start Button is analogue!

Whoo!
Mon 21/06/04 at 11:39
Regular
"tokyo police club"
Bah, Sony will probably pull something unbelievable out of the bag, and still produc substandard games for it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.