GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Erm... Not too sure now..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/06/04 at 09:12
Regular
At work bored once again, thank the lord it is Friday though...

Watched the IGN video preview for Driv3r last night and to be honest I was left completely flat and by the sounds of it so did the person previewing it.

Now don't get me wrong, Douglas C. Perry (editor of IGN Xbox) is a complete sausage saddle, not only does he make up words on the spot but his reviews are completely 1 dimensional and his knowledge of video games is seriously lacking, one thing though is that all the reviews and previews I have seen he rarely has a bad word to say about the games... that was of course until I watched his preview of Driv3r.

Firstly he had to get the point over that this was NOT a GTA game in any way shape or form and those who haven't played a Driv3r game before shouldn't expect this as they will be disappointed. Now I am a big fan of the Driver series, clocked 1 + 2 on the PSONE many times over and I remember grabbing a week of school at the time of the original Driver release, it was that good. Since then however the GTA series has seriously stepped up a gear and despite True Crime being an awful game it did try to put a spin on the genre; both good and bd.

The biggest problem lies with GTA and in particular GTA 3 which really did innovate in many different ways and it will be remembered as one of the finest games ever to hit home consoles. The problem lies with the fact that it took on foot sections to a new level as at the time of Driver 2 being release very few games had managed to pull off the ability to get in a car and drive in what felt like a completely different experience only to get out of the car and have the ability to steal other cars and perform on foot objectives successfully. Those who have played it will be aware of how poor the on foot sections were; this however was a step in the right direction which probably led to the bold move to take the GTA series into the 3D world.

The on foot sections in Driv3r though look poor and Perry even stated that the controls feel sluggish and overall it is going to be a massive let down due to the sloppy nature of how it feels. In the preview it shows Tanner shooting his way through a shipyard to get some explosives to take out to about where he once again goes back on foot to get on board the boot and do the damage. Everything about it smacked of 'rushed' and it looked like a sloppy version of GTA3 on foot; as we all know the GTA on foot sections are far from perfect.

One other thing was the inclusion of boats, as the title suggests the games main focus is driving and all I was after was an advanced version of Driver using the latest technology and after getting told by many different people that it is nothing like the GTA games I can not understand why they have tried to incorporate a lot of the things which were required in the GTA series; it just doesn't look Driv3r...

The game also looked to run into a fair bit of slow down, granted the footage was running from the PS2 version of the game but it certainly looked like a major issue that plagued Driver 2 and at times made it completely unplayable for long periods at a time. Hopefully there is a simple explanation for this or hopefully it is something that just appears in the PS2 version.

On a plus note you can now run people over and the car physics looked delightful as ever and they have apparently retained all of the classic feel that only the Driver series has. The bike sections looked okay although I am not entirely convinced about them just yet as although they worked extremely well in Vice City the actual engine used is completely different; I just hope they handle as well as the cars did in the first two.

I hope I am wrong about this one but I get the feeling that Driv3r 3 is going to be one of those games that given the extra time could be up there with the GTA games; from what I have seen and read however I am slightly dubious as to whether or not it will live up expectations, I hope it does but I am preparing for a big disappointment.
Wed 23/06/04 at 14:45
Regular
"Touched!"
Driver 3 is the biggest letdown and pile of crap I've had the misfortune of playing, and that's being kind. I'm doing Games Design in September and quite frankly I could have done a better job..this really does feel like a last generation game, I will certainly be swapping this heap of garbage for Full Spectrum Warrior on Saturday.

Firstly, how on earth (as Gamespot said) did this get through quality control? The glitches here are awful, as well as the none existant AI, first mission I was happily chasing the car and this idiot cop car comes right into the side of me, the AI is so buggy it's unreal, plus the slowdown shouldn't be here in my opinion, it shouldn't strain the Xbox at all.

The on foot missions are Pi$$ poor to say the least, it feels clunky, basic and awkward to control, not one bit impressed here at all, the animations at time just look stiff, they should have just copied the GTA on foot sections, which are far from perfect but this feels like a PSone game so much it hurts me to say anything decent about.

Next the cars, who the bloody hell was responsible for this? it's absolutely pathetic, one little nudge and your car does a 360? get real, the cars don't even powerslide at all, they are just so unbalanced it's a joke, Reflections made this game out to be so much and have failed on most counts, the only saving grace for me is the ability to upload video's to Live and the cutscenes are decent enough at times, but the game itself is utter pap, do the industry a favour and don't buy this crap, Reflections should be ashamed, I love Stuntman and this feels like not even half the game that was, what a waste.
Wed 23/06/04 at 14:33
"Darth Vader 3442321"
It's probably going to be a game that has its price slashed very quickly if the sales reflect the nature of the reviews. I'm going to wait to play a demo before I make any judgements but when a game appears to be unfinished and unpolished, you can't help but think the reviews are accurate.
Wed 23/06/04 at 13:22
Regular
Gamespot made it sound like that because that's the way it is. Rushed, glitchy, awful on-foot sections and a sheer lack of anyone realising this is 2004 and not 1999. The only places that are stupid enough to rate the game highly are the unofficial PS2 magazines that plague our existence. The people who write for those magazines are completely retarded.

Nearly as funny as Total Film when they said "We Were Soldiers makes Saving Private Ryan look like Dad's Army". As much as ‘We Were Soldiers’ is a top film it was a sensationalist remark that deserves to be cut to pieces. According to a PS2 magazines Driv3r makes GTA look like child’s play... Yes, of course it does...

They don't play the games, they see the money and shazzam, all forced by the Developer and bang that's it, the deal is done and an average game suddenly jumps up there with Ninja Gaiden and all the other awesome titles of recent times.
Wed 23/06/04 at 12:00
Regular
"Selected"
wow, gamespot really went to town on this one. They make it sound like Reflections released a game that's only 80% complete.

I'm still gonna get it though.
Tue 22/06/04 at 13:45
Regular
5.5 - IGN

Hell, they facked this one up.
Tue 22/06/04 at 13:30
Regular
5.4 - Gamespot
3/10 - Gamecentral

Looked poor, turned out shockingly average.
Sun 20/06/04 at 00:13
Regular
Driv3r's going to rule - you can just tell that from the videos and the brilliance of the previous titles. IGN are usually pretty off with most things, but I wouldn't trust a word they say about the Driver series - 5/10 for Driver 2? On yer bike...
Fri 18/06/04 at 16:03
Regular
"gsybe you!"
That's like in Halo 2 - Bungie have roped in someone (probably Bizzare Creations or somesuch) to do ultra-realistic + proper driving charecteristics for the vehicles.

ME getting excited about Halo 2?

Some things are never certain.
Fri 18/06/04 at 15:16
Regular
That's what we were meant to believe about True Crime however it turned out to be a completely dire game from start to finish.

I am still going to order Driv3r when I get home in the hope that it doesn't flop, I hope it doesn't.
Fri 18/06/04 at 14:02
Regular
Yeah, Max Payne is one of the best on foot games to date. I think two companies should work together to produce the ultimate driving and on foot game. One concentrating on the driving side and one concentrating on foot, then we don't get a rush job on both.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.