GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Erm... Not too sure now..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/06/04 at 09:12
Regular
At work bored once again, thank the lord it is Friday though...

Watched the IGN video preview for Driv3r last night and to be honest I was left completely flat and by the sounds of it so did the person previewing it.

Now don't get me wrong, Douglas C. Perry (editor of IGN Xbox) is a complete sausage saddle, not only does he make up words on the spot but his reviews are completely 1 dimensional and his knowledge of video games is seriously lacking, one thing though is that all the reviews and previews I have seen he rarely has a bad word to say about the games... that was of course until I watched his preview of Driv3r.

Firstly he had to get the point over that this was NOT a GTA game in any way shape or form and those who haven't played a Driv3r game before shouldn't expect this as they will be disappointed. Now I am a big fan of the Driver series, clocked 1 + 2 on the PSONE many times over and I remember grabbing a week of school at the time of the original Driver release, it was that good. Since then however the GTA series has seriously stepped up a gear and despite True Crime being an awful game it did try to put a spin on the genre; both good and bd.

The biggest problem lies with GTA and in particular GTA 3 which really did innovate in many different ways and it will be remembered as one of the finest games ever to hit home consoles. The problem lies with the fact that it took on foot sections to a new level as at the time of Driver 2 being release very few games had managed to pull off the ability to get in a car and drive in what felt like a completely different experience only to get out of the car and have the ability to steal other cars and perform on foot objectives successfully. Those who have played it will be aware of how poor the on foot sections were; this however was a step in the right direction which probably led to the bold move to take the GTA series into the 3D world.

The on foot sections in Driv3r though look poor and Perry even stated that the controls feel sluggish and overall it is going to be a massive let down due to the sloppy nature of how it feels. In the preview it shows Tanner shooting his way through a shipyard to get some explosives to take out to about where he once again goes back on foot to get on board the boot and do the damage. Everything about it smacked of 'rushed' and it looked like a sloppy version of GTA3 on foot; as we all know the GTA on foot sections are far from perfect.

One other thing was the inclusion of boats, as the title suggests the games main focus is driving and all I was after was an advanced version of Driver using the latest technology and after getting told by many different people that it is nothing like the GTA games I can not understand why they have tried to incorporate a lot of the things which were required in the GTA series; it just doesn't look Driv3r...

The game also looked to run into a fair bit of slow down, granted the footage was running from the PS2 version of the game but it certainly looked like a major issue that plagued Driver 2 and at times made it completely unplayable for long periods at a time. Hopefully there is a simple explanation for this or hopefully it is something that just appears in the PS2 version.

On a plus note you can now run people over and the car physics looked delightful as ever and they have apparently retained all of the classic feel that only the Driver series has. The bike sections looked okay although I am not entirely convinced about them just yet as although they worked extremely well in Vice City the actual engine used is completely different; I just hope they handle as well as the cars did in the first two.

I hope I am wrong about this one but I get the feeling that Driv3r 3 is going to be one of those games that given the extra time could be up there with the GTA games; from what I have seen and read however I am slightly dubious as to whether or not it will live up expectations, I hope it does but I am preparing for a big disappointment.
Fri 18/06/04 at 09:12
Regular
At work bored once again, thank the lord it is Friday though...

Watched the IGN video preview for Driv3r last night and to be honest I was left completely flat and by the sounds of it so did the person previewing it.

Now don't get me wrong, Douglas C. Perry (editor of IGN Xbox) is a complete sausage saddle, not only does he make up words on the spot but his reviews are completely 1 dimensional and his knowledge of video games is seriously lacking, one thing though is that all the reviews and previews I have seen he rarely has a bad word to say about the games... that was of course until I watched his preview of Driv3r.

Firstly he had to get the point over that this was NOT a GTA game in any way shape or form and those who haven't played a Driv3r game before shouldn't expect this as they will be disappointed. Now I am a big fan of the Driver series, clocked 1 + 2 on the PSONE many times over and I remember grabbing a week of school at the time of the original Driver release, it was that good. Since then however the GTA series has seriously stepped up a gear and despite True Crime being an awful game it did try to put a spin on the genre; both good and bd.

The biggest problem lies with GTA and in particular GTA 3 which really did innovate in many different ways and it will be remembered as one of the finest games ever to hit home consoles. The problem lies with the fact that it took on foot sections to a new level as at the time of Driver 2 being release very few games had managed to pull off the ability to get in a car and drive in what felt like a completely different experience only to get out of the car and have the ability to steal other cars and perform on foot objectives successfully. Those who have played it will be aware of how poor the on foot sections were; this however was a step in the right direction which probably led to the bold move to take the GTA series into the 3D world.

The on foot sections in Driv3r though look poor and Perry even stated that the controls feel sluggish and overall it is going to be a massive let down due to the sloppy nature of how it feels. In the preview it shows Tanner shooting his way through a shipyard to get some explosives to take out to about where he once again goes back on foot to get on board the boot and do the damage. Everything about it smacked of 'rushed' and it looked like a sloppy version of GTA3 on foot; as we all know the GTA on foot sections are far from perfect.

One other thing was the inclusion of boats, as the title suggests the games main focus is driving and all I was after was an advanced version of Driver using the latest technology and after getting told by many different people that it is nothing like the GTA games I can not understand why they have tried to incorporate a lot of the things which were required in the GTA series; it just doesn't look Driv3r...

The game also looked to run into a fair bit of slow down, granted the footage was running from the PS2 version of the game but it certainly looked like a major issue that plagued Driver 2 and at times made it completely unplayable for long periods at a time. Hopefully there is a simple explanation for this or hopefully it is something that just appears in the PS2 version.

On a plus note you can now run people over and the car physics looked delightful as ever and they have apparently retained all of the classic feel that only the Driver series has. The bike sections looked okay although I am not entirely convinced about them just yet as although they worked extremely well in Vice City the actual engine used is completely different; I just hope they handle as well as the cars did in the first two.

I hope I am wrong about this one but I get the feeling that Driv3r 3 is going to be one of those games that given the extra time could be up there with the GTA games; from what I have seen and read however I am slightly dubious as to whether or not it will live up expectations, I hope it does but I am preparing for a big disappointment.
Fri 18/06/04 at 09:45
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
I thought it was called Driver. And Driv3r was just a way to say its Driver 3.
Fri 18/06/04 at 12:21
"I love yo... lamp."
Hmm. Driver was excellent. No doubt about that. And underneath its flaws, mainly graphical, Driver 2 wasn't a bad game.

Driver 3 just doesn't do it for me from what I have seen. I'll wait until someone else has it and can give a full opinion on it, but it does seem to be lacking. I think they just rushed it a bit.

Hopefully the slow down is related only to the PS2 hardware, but if not it will ruin the game.
Fri 18/06/04 at 12:38
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
there's an article on spong.com saying that they would only release review code to magazines/sites that guaranteed to give the game a minimum of 9 out of 10 before even getting the code !

IGN would be bottom of my "trusted reviewers" list anyway.
Fri 18/06/04 at 13:16
Regular
Exactly, if anything IGN highly over rate games and give games too higher score which means that when they are disappointed with a game the chances are it will suck on the whole.
Fri 18/06/04 at 13:22
Regular
"tokyo police club"
I'm just glad I never really looked into the game much, so I can't get too excited.
Fri 18/06/04 at 13:29
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
I wonder when/if there'll be a demo for this available?
Fri 18/06/04 at 13:45
Regular
Too be honest, the only thing that looked bad for me was on foot. Everthing else looks superb. Great graphics, brilliant car handling and excellent car damage. I like the look of the director mini game. It looks extremely fun. In case you didn't know you can produce your own mini movies, like chases, car smash ups and stuff and share them with people over Live.
Fri 18/06/04 at 13:47
Regular
The Director games have appeared in all Driver games.

What annoys me is that they should either stick completely to cars like the excellent first Driver or if they want to be more adventurous then at least provide us with some Max Payne style on foot sections.
Fri 18/06/04 at 14:02
Regular
Yeah, Max Payne is one of the best on foot games to date. I think two companies should work together to produce the ultimate driving and on foot game. One concentrating on the driving side and one concentrating on foot, then we don't get a rush job on both.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.