GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Don't We Like The Games 'We' Do?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/07/01 at 00:17
Regular
Sounds silly, I know, BUT there is always an 'AAA' game that you hate. Whether it be Conker's Bad Fur Day, SSX, Sonic Adventure 2 or another, there is always a game, that no matter how hard you try, you can't stand; and you're completely mystified as to how or why it became so popular!

For me there are 3. Let's take Perfect Dark, as the first example. It was definitely an 'AAA' title, and arguably one of Rare's best games in the '64-Bit' era, but many, including myself didn't enjoy the game. But why?!

Maybe is was because 'It wasn't Bond'. Sounds daft, I know, but as Meka Dragon said with regards to the Mascot post, an illustrious character can make all the difference when he/she/it endorses a product. Maybe, because Joanna wasn't a recognised figure outside of videogames, people didn't take to the game. Also, as the 007 titles would no doubt go insequence from Goldeneye, I, along with others, was execting Tomorrow Never Dies, and so I waited for that! Also, it had a very Non-Nintendo theme... In a world of Pokémon and bright colours, Perfect Dark seemed somewhat out of sorts on a Nintendo console. It came as quite a shock!

The second game, i'll quickly mention is (The) Secret of Mana ( - Squaresoft). Again, another great game on the SNES, but after playing it for a while I couldn't understand why, or even how it was so popular amongst millions. Given that there is much to do in the game and the worlds, or levels, are very diverse I can kind of see why people would buy it through gut instinct. But surely not after reading reviews?!

Bust-A-Move was another. Another puzzle game to gap-fill the shelves in HMV. The only problem was, it was creating gaps, not filling them! Why was it so popular? It was just a fancied up version of Columns mixed with Behive Bedlam (Sky Digital > Open....)! I really can't see how, or why people would take to this game. It's samey, the graphics are frightfully basic. There is no diversity in the levels and the game bores 'you' in minutes! It's completely beyond me! At least it was!!!

After hours of thought (unfamiliar territory - had to take my time! :D), I came to the conclusion that there isn't anything in games that makes 'us' tick! We can't stereotype gamers as 'gamers' it just can't be done. We're all different... different hair, skin colour, eye colour. Different abilities and disabilities. But most important is the fact that we all have different personalities, and through these personalities we have preferances to all things, including games!. There is never going to be one game that we all like. Never.

So, in the years to come, you have to understand, that no matter how they try, games companies won't be able to meet the single demands of every consumer. Like the old saying goes. You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

Just because games have a shiney gold 'R' on the front doesn't mean that you'll enjoy them. Just because there is an red-capped plumber by the name of Mario in the game doesn't mean it will be the game for you! If you want a certain game but 'We' don't like it, fine! Remember - You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

Life is full of choices.

Gaming is full of choices.

They're Your choices.

YOU Make them!

Get the console YOU Like!

Play the games YOU like!

Thanks for reading, feel free to add your views!

Game
Fri 06/07/01 at 19:34
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
FantasyMeister wrote:
> AAA titles I didn't like:

Shenmue: Boring basically. And now
> that X-Box are talking about releasing all 16 chapters or so on the
> X-Box, I'm thinking: why? Didn't they get how boring it was the
> first time? I'm still prepared to give it another go, but you have
> to invest so much time to get the most out of that game that I'm not
> sure it's worth it, especially when I've got other games to
> play.

Tomb Raider 2: Not really much different from the original
> except for new levels and a few extra secrets. TR3 was MUCH more
> improved and better because of it. Still a very playable game, but
> I prefer either 1 or 3.

PSO: Not quite what it was made out to
> be. IMHO it's NOT an RPG, it's a hack 'em up, and the lack of
> levels is disturbing even though the graphics themselves are
> beautiful to look at, which is its only saving grace. So whilst the
> gameplay is a bit drab, the actual graphics make it bearable.

And
> that's about it, there's not many top games that I don't enjoy.

Whaddya mean PSO wasn't that enjoyable it is ABSOLUETELY BRILLIANT!!!! RPG, great graphics, nice to look at, great gameplay, nice lastability, a few levels actually (bout average really), great fighting styles and sequences and brilliant cinematics and it is great fun to play online.

Huh!

just thinking about what I wrote means that The Game is right, some people do like different games although we all will enjoy playing different genres and styles of games, and how a game that you don't like might be appealing to another!!
Fri 06/07/01 at 19:18
§Hø®†¥ ßL!†Z wrote:
> I hate Mario Party and Mario Golf, they bore me to death. They are
> Evil with a capital E. I also hate Mario Tennis now, once again it
> is to evil to talk about. I want to sell it but all I was offered by
> Stock x change was a measly 7 pounds for a perfect condition box
> and manual...oh and the cart. A bit lary considering I spent 50 quid
> on it only 7 months ago.

:(

Hello. You can trade in Mario Tennis for £21 at Computer Exchange. Their website is www.cex.co.uk
Fri 06/07/01 at 18:13
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
I hate Mario Party and Mario Golf, they bore me to death. They are Evil with a capital E. I also hate Mario Tennis now, once again it is to evil to talk about. I want to sell it but all I was offered by Stock x change was a measly 7 pounds for a perfect condition box and manual...oh and the cart. A bit lary considering I spent 50 quid on it only 7 months ago.

:(
Fri 06/07/01 at 17:55
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I never understood the Famitsu /40 idea! I suppose it was /10 for Graphics, Sound, Gameplay and Multiplayer/length
Fri 06/07/01 at 17:24
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah, I agree. That's why OPS2 uses the /10 system, because 10 means it's great game, not that it's the best.
Fri 06/07/01 at 17:21
Regular
"Palace 5-0 Brighton"
The Game (or was it YH?) wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if a Gamecube or X-Box game was
> awarded 99% or even 100% but it still seem quite unlikely!

Games that are rated 100% is very rare. I don’t think that this should happen because in a way it means that games can not get better, if you see what I mean. Say if a much, much better comes along and it’s the same genre, then what? It will get 100% again, even though it’s miles better that the previous game.

Seems silly to me.
Fri 06/07/01 at 14:51
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Ha!

lol @ Grix and FM
Fri 06/07/01 at 14:29
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
LOL, you too?
Fri 06/07/01 at 14:24
Regular
Whoops.
Fri 06/07/01 at 14:24
Regular
I dunno... games are supposed to be about things you don't do in real life...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.